The 150 member increase.

Don't even get me started on that. Yes, I believe you have the option to march 150 if you choose. Very unfair when there are corps with less than 60 in Open Class. I thought we had a good thing going on with Div II (90 max) and Div III (60 max) (A-60 and A-90 previously).

I don't understand for the life of me why we ever changed that. (I told you not to get me started)

Thought I would have a little fun with you that's all. But this is where the real argument is. Set a lower limit for them and if you don't think you can accomplish your goals with what you have move down. I know they will get less in appearance fees.

Edited by cage

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would have a little fun with you that's all. But this is where the real argument is. Set a lower limit for them and if you don't think you can accomplish your goals with what you have move down. I know they will get less in appearance fees.

Hahaha. You've already figured out where my blood pressure buttons are, huh? LOL! That's funny. :-)

Yeah, you have a good point about moving downam only thing is, with the way things are right now, you almost need about 6 divisions (which is screwed in and of itself). A 140 -150 division, a 120 to 139 division, a 100-119 division, an 80-99 division, a 60 -79 division and a 59 and below division.

By the way, I really do think that the division plan I just laid out is about the STUPIDEST idea ever. But that's how much inconsistency this 150 max has created in the activity.

I haven't had a chance to do counts for 87 yet but I'm thinking that even if your earlier numbers are right on the momey, corps were still closer to the same size then than they are now. 114-128 is much closer than 124-150.

Yes, I concur that there have always been plenty of corps under the max. But it is definitely worse now than it was before. Were all over the place now.

Sigh! I guess its just the way it is, and the way its going to be.

Too bad more kids didn't decide to stay local, and support corps which no longer exist because the kids wouldn't stay home. Back in the 70s-80s, people wanted to march in Spirit, and eventually Suncoast, at the expense of corps like the Charioteers, Chattahoochee Sound Assn. (who never really had a chance), Southwind, and Florida Wave. Kids want to march in the super-corps, and would rather be an alternate with the likes of BD or Cadets than march with a lesser corps. Of course, that hurts the entire thing, and you end up with 12-15 "big" corps, 20-30 smaller corps, and a zillion people wanting to march with the 15 "big" corps, and the smaller corps die off. Sigh...

And yes, I never marched, but if I did, I'd rather march in a smaller, lesser known corps than be an alternate for a bigger corps. The experience I got marching that summer might be what got me into a better corps in a year or two, if I wanted to make the move. Or, I might like the camaraderie and experience in the smaller corps, and decide to stay with them.

Peace.

Edited by davidp