The 150 member increase.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you know are stating BD can't field 150 members?

Nope! Didn't even come close to saying that. Not sure they DID this year. Not sure they didn't either. Hey, I said 6 or 7 didn't I? Give or take. Even with BD and Cadets in the mix. 150 is still far from the average number within the activity. I mean, seriously... Does anyone out there have 60 guard? 50 percussion, maybe? If corps with 72 horns are marching 150, where are the other 80 members? Just an honest question.

Case and point is, very few corps in the activity are marching the full 150. The average is between 135 and 140. Regardless of your opinion on the rule change, this is a fact that cannot be refuted.

I'll say it again. I like 150. I want more sound. I want more space covered on the field. It's just too bad that every corps on the field (or at least TEN corps) can't all be at 150 to make it more fair (and more exciting).

This is really all I'm trying to say here people. If you think that the majority of corps on the field are at 150 (just like the majority was at 135 and 128 before the last change) you are delusional. We aint making 150, people. Not even close.

So, how about a less negative suggestion now. Does anyone have any solutions to get more corps and the overall average size at 150 across the activity?

Case and point is, very few corps in the activity are marching the full 150. The average is between 135 and 140. Regardless of your opinion on the rule change, this is a fact that cannot be refuted.

I'll say it again. I like 150. I want more sound. I want more space covered on the field. It's just too bad that every corps on the field (or at least TEN corps) can't all be at 150 to make it more fair (and more exciting).

This is really all I'm trying to say here people. If you think that the majority of corps on the field are at 150 (just like the majority was at 135 and 128 before the last change) you are delusional. We aint making 150, people. Not even close.

So, how about a less negative suggestion now. Does anyone have any solutions to get more corps and the overall average size at 150 across the activity?

All I can say is that if some of these self-proclaimed G7 corps have 600 or more kids audition and they can't feild at least 150 of them then they have a serious Drum Corps problem in the truest sense of that term. Hey- that was Hoppy's idea - not mine.

I think it's been a great thing...well as far as hornlines are concerned. My initial reaction to the switch to Bb's is that the low brass had problems speaking. I could be wrong, but from an uninformed observation, it seems that a nice percentage of the increase has been devoted to low brass by many corps. These lines don't sound as thin and tinny to me as they did when the switch was first made. I've also heard that the manufacturers have made efforts to alleviate these issues and I think I can tell a difference for the most part. After having played Bb's in the Star Alumni Corps, I came away thinking that many notes that would normally be in the wheel house of a trombone or a G euphonium were not as "free flowing" on the Bb bari. On the other hand, maybe I just needed another week or two to get my chops into better shape lol. I think the resistance is probably more a function of manufacturing as opposed to what key it was in...just my 2 pennies.

Yep...find a way to reduce gas prices so that corps dues can be reduced :cool:

There have always been quite a few corps who didn't fill the max for various reasons. Not enough qualified people trying out, money, more corps, etc. Back when it was 128 I remember a lot of corps who were not close. It is not a matter of fair because every corps has the same opportunity, they just can't accomplish it for whatever reason. Also there are corps today who may choose to have an extra DM or two, have a little bigger drumline or a couple more in the pit, or a bigger guard while still marching 150.

Not only did Boston have 80 brass this summer, but they had 7-8 altternates throughout move-in in June. I know, because I was there. Furthermore, a couple of those alternates, upon seeing how many horns there WERE, asked for and were granted permission to leave the corps and fill holes in other corps during July. One went to the Troopers and one went to an Open class corps. Yes, injuries can and do happen and Boston was no exception, BUT did you know.....

BAC's alternates actually had to take turns as back field/endzone conductors each show because they had ***155*** members through most of the season and did not want to risk a penalty?

Boston had a full hornline all summer. If they had 78 or 79 horns at a particular show it was do to an injury or illness that might well have happened that day or the prior day. Do you expect an alternate to learn an entire show during a two hour ensemble rehearsal the day of a show? When you are dealing with 150 human beings, there is a reasonable mathematical chance that someone might be ill on any given day, especially in 100 degree heat.

Your fundamental argument is defeated by the facts. Next time, check them.

There have always been quite a few corps who didn't fill the max for various reasons. Not enough qualified people trying out, money, more corps, etc. Back when it was 128 I remember a lot of corps who were not close. It is not a matter of fair because every corps has the same opportunity, they just can't accomplish it for whatever reason. Also there are corps today who may choose to have an extra DM or two, have a little bigger drumline or a couple more in the pit, or a bigger guard while still marching 150.

See, this is where I disagree. During the 128 years. At least 11 of your top 12 corps always had 128. It wasn't 5 corps with the full 128 and the rest with 110. Almost everyone had 128.

Same with the 135 years. Now with the 150, it's completely different. So no, I don't agree. There have not always been this many corps not making it to the max number.

And the whole thing with a "few more guard". I already addressed that. For a corps with 72 (or less) horns and an average sized percussion (which is the case for most right now), a corps would have to be marching 60 guard (close to that number). Do you see any corpsd out there with that many in the guard? I don't. I see what you are saying. I just don't think what you are saying is really the case.