'81 Whitewater - Cavaliers

A big improvement over the red cloth covered drums of 1980. Any 1980 Cavies drummers around here? What was with the red cloth? .......

Obviously not a Cavies drummer, but there are a lot of reasons corps do that. Sometimes they want to use a bright color to set the line off, sometimes they had old drums that don't match the current color scheme, sometimes they have mismatched drums. Madison did the same thing in 1980, and Bridgemen did it in 79, to spectacular effect.

I didn't know Cavies had five drums on the "quad" setup.

Live and learn.

They first used "quints" in 1978.

Not sure if anyone else ever did this, but those quints had extended collars, like on tympani, so that the hoops were all an inch bigger in diameter than the shells. The bearing edges of the drums took quite a beating that year.

(These drums were all just a week old at that show, making this the first appearance of Pearl gear at a DCI event).

Thanks for pics, Jedi.

I did not know that about the extended collars. How long did that last?

I can't stop from LMAO at Geoff Thursby on vibes.....were he any shorter, the resonators would have dragged on the ground!!!! :tongue:

These drums were all just a week old at that show, making this the first appearance of Pearl gear at a DCI event.

IIRC, part of the deal for getting the Pearls was doing a clinic at the MBA band camp at Whitewater. On stage. Indoors. :tongue: My ears are still ringing.

Remember getting standing Os for warming up??

Edited by uncle z

I did not know that about the extended collars. How long did that last?

I think they were changed over to the more traditional fit the next season, when they went to the split-line (with two groups of high pitched, and low pitched drums). I understood Gus's concept in terms of the '81 tenor design (I built a set of concert toms for someone a few years ago that used the same idea, and it did open the sound up a little), but in an outdoor setting, the change in sound wasn't really noticeable.

dupe....

Edited by mobrien

I can't stop from LMAO at Geoff Thursby on vibes.....were he any shorter, the resonators would have dragged on the ground!!!! :tongue:

In 79 I marched off the field in front of him. I used to reach around and hold up the front of his vibe's. I'm not sure he could have made it off the field.

In 79 I marched off the field in front of him. I used to reach around and hold up the front of his vibe's. I'm not sure he could have made it off the field.

Probably wasn't the vibes so much as the carrier. Those late 70s Slingerland carriers weighed a ton.