'81 Whitewater - Santa Clara

That double white stripe made the slightest M&M execution error stick out like a neon sign! My Favorite classic SCV uniform! :tongue:

Agreed. I know it's another era entirely, but I still love those uniforms. The H.S. band my kids were in copied it in red and blue, back in the 80's and 90's. Definitely a classic.

Go Jones!

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't 1981 when that phrase was first coined by Ralph Hardimon for the SCV drumline?

I still enjoy hearing that on the 1981 recording to this day (along with "You're on the ratchet" on the same recording).

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't 1981 when that phrase was first coined by Ralph Hardimon for the SCV drumline?

I still enjoy hearing that on the 1981 recording to this day (along with "You're on the ratchet" on the same recording).

When does he say "You're on the ratchet?" That's hilarious. I like "You guys are cookin!" and someone else saying "That's excellent, Greg" after the timpani feature at the beginning of Young Person's Guide.

I always thought it was spelled JONZ.

When does he say "You're on the ratchet?" That's hilarious. I like "You guys are cookin!" and someone else saying "That's excellent, Greg" after the timpani feature at the beginning of Young Person's Guide.

I always thought it was spelled JONZ.

Tommy... it was/is spelled JONZ (Dale was a Contra :spitting: )

I'll have to give another listen to 1981 (maybe 1982) to find that staff comment "You're on the ratchet".

My original recordings were made by Ken Kobold (RIP) so it may be the case that they are not on the DCI Collectors recordings.

Which is a whole separate issue... I seem to recal that Ken's recording were of Prelims... not sure about the DCI Collectors recordings (but fan network video is of DCI Midwest from Whitwater). So confusing.

I seem to recal that Ken's recording were of Prelims... not sure about the DCI Collectors recordings (but fan network video is of DCI Midwest from Whitwater). So confusing.

The audio recordings on FN are the Finals recording (listen to the reverb). Ken did the prelims recordings too, as he always did, and would put them on a tape if you asked. (he recordings from McGill in 81 sound much better than the Finals recordings that year). In '82, Ken was able to do prelims, but DCI had a new team in to do Finals, which accounts for the big difference in recording quality between 81 and 82.

The audio recordings on FN are the Finals recording (listen to the reverb). Ken did the prelims recordings too, as he always did, and would put them on a tape if you asked. (he recordings from McGill in 81 sound much better than the Finals recordings that year). In '82, Ken was able to do prelims, but DCI had a new team in to do Finals, which accounts for the big difference in recording quality between 81 and 82.

Now that explains everything, thanks.

The staff member shouting "You're on the ratchet" is only Ken Kobald's 1982 Prelim recording of Santa Clara.

It was shouted right before Slava right after the loud ratchet used at the very beginning.

Now I have to find my cassete tape and a cassete player to get at this recorded DCI memory.

Sorry, I thought that this was in 1981.

Still believe that 1981 is the first year of "Jonz" being applied to SCV Drumline (by Ralph Hardimon).