'81 Whitewater - Garfield Cadets

scan0062.jpg
  • Like 1

scan0061.jpg
  • Like 1

scan0060.jpg
  • Like 1

Mobrien & Tommytimp posted about quads in the Cavalier thread and it reminded me of the Garfield configuration.

Why were they like that?

Edited by RetiredJedi
  • Like 1

scan0059.jpg

I always loved that long sash Garfield used to wear.

What stadium were all the '81 pics taken in? Do you remember?

Great pics, by the way!

Mobrien & Tommytimp posted about quads in the Cavalier thread and it reminded me of the Garfield configuration.

Why were they like that?

You mean with the number 1 and 2 drums reversed from the normal configuration now? Probably because quads were still a relatively new toy back then, and they were still figuring it all out (I checked FN, and Garfield had them in that position through the mid 80s, at least - everyone else seems to have put the #1 out top right, the way it is now).

It's possible that whoever was their tenor instructor looked at quads like a drum set and thought to try the normal tom configuration, with the smallest ride tom positioned top left. That's the only explanation I could come up with, since nothing else about the positioning makes sense from a player's standpoint. :blink:

I always loved that long sash Garfield used to wear.

What stadium were all the '81 pics taken in? Do you remember?

Great pics, by the way!

Warhawk Stadium....University of Wisconsin-Whitewater,Whitewater Wisconsin. The Birthplace of DCI,and for those of us who marched there BITD, the most hallowed ground of our activity! :blink:

You mean with the number 1 and 2 drums reversed from the normal configuration now? Probably because quads were still a relatively new toy back then, and they were still figuring it all out (I checked FN, and Garfield had them in that position through the mid 80s, at least - everyone else seems to have put the #1 out top right, the way it is now).

It's possible that whoever was their tenor instructor looked at quads like a drum set and thought to try the normal tom configuration, with the smallest ride tom positioned top left. That's the only explanation I could come up with, since nothing else about the positioning makes sense from a player's standpoint. :tongue:

What little bit of my mind I have left failed me this time. You stated that the quads were configured like that through the mid 80's and my 1st thought was "They were NOT!". So I looked at some of the pic's of the '83 tenors and, sure enough, they were. I'm feeling pretty embarrassed right now. :tongue: I vaguely remember something about the weight being distributed more evenly with the quads being 4-1-2-3 but at this point I don't trust my memory... :blink:

• Like 1

Warhawk Stadium....University of Wisconsin-Whitewater,Whitewater Wisconsin. The Birthplace of DCI,and for those of us who marched there BITD, the most hallowed ground of our activity! :blink:

Hmm... That's what I thought but for some reason I seem to remember a more permanent structure for the backfield seating area rather than bleachers in '83. Is that just my imagination?

Edited by skajerk