Drum Corps Museum and Hall of Fame

A kickstarter type program can be used to get the museum off the ground.

• Like 1

Where are you located? The size of the school is no major issue. The museum could be co-located with another non-profit organization.(The museum could lease the excess space, and reduce operating/ownership costs)

Missed seeing this earlier....

It's an old elementary school in the Camp Hill, PA (outside of Harrisburg) School District. Link has the most info that I could find.

http://www.camphillsd.k12.pa.us/district.cfm?subpage=1412315

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Missed seeing this earlier....

It's an old elementary school in the Camp Hill, PA (outside of Harrisburg) School District. Link has the most info that I could find.

http://www.camphillsd.k12.pa.us/district.cfm?subpage=1412315

this is the kind of place to pursue, IMO,..............requirement for the preserved open space could be a practice field/stadium,..........community could use it for football, soccer, etc,...............

Kickstart is a great idea to get this moving,...............IMO, a task force of sorts needs to assemble, (at least electronically) and provide some legal foundation and vision.....................and Kickstart it!

this is the kind of place to pursue, IMO,..............requirement for the preserved open space could be a practice field/stadium,..........community could use it for football, soccer, etc,...............

Kickstart is a great idea to get this moving,...............IMO, a task force of sorts needs to assemble, (at least electronically) and provide some legal foundation and vision.....................and Kickstart it!

Not sure how much space would be at this location. Probably a playground sized area in the back and that's it. And parking blows.....

Also a problem that the last time a school building was converted to non-school use in the district it turned into a huge whizzing battle. Lady with lots of money gave a donation so part of another elementray school could be converted into a arts center (aka auditorium). About everytime something came up that she didn't like she threatened to pull the $$$$. About half the school was knocked down or gutted for the center and that PO'ed a lot of people who went or sent their kids there. Weird part is that (now half) school is still being used for classes.... and about 2-3 blocks from our house..... So word of warning to anyone looking for old schools as their might be past baggage floating around.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Not sure how much space would be at this location. Probably a playground sized area in the back and that's it. And parking blows.....

Also a problem that the last time a school building was converted to non-school use in the district it turned into a huge whizzing battle. Lady with lots of money gave a donation so part of another elementray school could be converted into a arts center (aka auditorium). About everytime something came up that she didn't like she threatened to pull the $$$$. About half the school was knocked down or gutted for the center and that PO'ed a lot of people who went or sent their kids there. Weird part is that (now half) school is still being used for classes.... and about 2-3 blocks from our house..... So word of warning to anyone looking for old schools as their might be past baggage floating around.

Those issues would not have any bearing, if the building is sold to a independent entity. This case you reference seems to be a specialized instance of hubris, and attitude/drama, on the part of the person donating the money in that case. Those problems would not arise in a outright sale of the property, because once the new owner owns it, and gets the proper permits in place, there is not a whole lot anyone can say about it.

I do know, here in Texas, that the state heavily frowns on people trying to tell property owners what they can and cannot do. (And if the people who sent their kids there really cared about the building, they should have joined together, and purchased the property themselves.)

I do like the idea of the rest of the space being used as a arts center. Plenty of other arts programs are looking for low cost performance space. A decent sized auditorium in a school would be great for that.

Those issues would not have any bearing, if the building is sold to a independent entity. This case you reference seems to be a specialized instance of hubris, and attitude/drama, on the part of the person donating the money in that case. Those problems would not arise in a outright sale of the property, because once the new owner owns it, and gets the proper permits in place, there is not a whole lot anyone can say about it.

I do know, here in Texas, that the state heavily frowns on people trying to tell property owners what they can and cannot do. (And if the people who sent their kids there really cared about the building, they should have joined together, and purchased the property themselves.)

I do like the idea of the rest of the space being used as a arts center. Plenty of other arts programs are looking for low cost performance space. A decent sized auditorium in a school would be great for that.

Issue I was thinking about was a lot of people were highly PO'ed with what happened to the school that got remoduled. This school is the next to be dealt with and school and borough officials are spending a lot of effort to avoid the next stink session. IOW - if it is to be sold to an independant entity it had better be the "right" independant entity. People here will vote their displeasure at the drop of a hat. This seems to be taking a while and think a big reason is trying to keep people from being PO'ed with the end result what ever that may be.

Offhand I can hear gripes about "outsiders", "all that traffic", "our taxes will pay for something" (makes no sense but....), "wrong type of people coming in". "quiet nieghborhood shot to Hades".

Years back another school was knocked down and a new library was put in it's place. School was no longer being used and was cheaper to demolish than try to remodule for school use. The old library was too small and the new one is about 10X larger. Great idea but lot of people B-worded about it for years and some still gripe about the extra cars in the neighborhood. (see above gripes)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Founded in 2011 as the Drum Corps Heritage Project, we are now incorporated in Ohio as the Drum Corps Heritage Society, Inc. For more information, look for us on Facebook. There you can see parts of our historical collection and read up on our goals and mission.

If you would like to donate to the Drum Corps Heritage Society, please contact me at: decole2@gmail.com.

www.facebook.com/drumcorpsheritagesociety.

All the best,

Dennis Cole, PhD

Executive Director, The Drum Corps Heritage Society

decole2@gmail.com

Issue I was thinking about was a lot of people were highly PO'ed with what happened to the school that got remoduled. This school is the next to be dealt with and school and borough officials are spending a lot of effort to avoid the next stink session. IOW - if it is to be sold to an independant entity it had better be the "right" independant entity. People here will vote their displeasure at the drop of a hat. This seems to be taking a while and think a big reason is trying to keep people from being PO'ed with the end result what ever that may be.

Offhand I can hear gripes about "outsiders", "all that traffic", "our taxes will pay for something" (makes no sense but....), "wrong type of people coming in". "quiet nieghborhood shot to Hades".

Years back another school was knocked down and a new library was put in it's place. School was no longer being used and was cheaper to demolish than try to remodule for school use. The old library was too small and the new one is about 10X larger. Great idea but lot of people B-worded about it for years and some still gripe about the extra cars in the neighborhood. (see above gripes)

I still do not see where if the facility was sold to a independent entity, how the neighbors would have much to say that would influence how it was used. Anyone can gripe and moan, but there is nothing they can do. Being the "right" entity would mean nothing, in my book.

I still do not see where if the facility was sold to a independent entity, how the neighbors would have much to say that would influence how it was used. Anyone can gripe and moan, but there is nothing they can do. Being the "right" entity would mean nothing, in my book.

Sory I was unclear but I was saying I doubt if the sale would even go thru if a lot of residents griped about whatever.... And this would not be a "we've sold it, here's the new owners" type of thing. There would be an announcement of a possible buyer followed by meetings where residents could question and "discuss". Sellers do not have to say "we don't like this museum thing" all they have to do is "explore more options" until they find something less controvesial. And in a town of less than 8,000 people it doesn't take much to upset enough people to lose your spot on the school board or borough council. And the school is in a residential area.

.And not even sure what the zoning laws are in that area or codes involved with having a museum or anything other than a school.

Yes, the area can be that anal.... ask Ream.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Founded in 2011 as the Drum Corps Heritage Project, we are now incorporated in Ohio as the Drum Corps Heritage Society, Inc. For more information, look for us on Facebook. There you can see parts of our historical collection and read up on our goals and mission.

If you would like to donate to the Drum Corps Heritage Society, please contact me at: decole2@gmail.com.

www.facebook.com/drumcorpsheritagesociety.

All the best,

Dennis Cole, PhD

Executive Director, The Drum Corps Heritage Society

decole2@gmail.com

how would someone find out more about this organization and efforts?