Drum Corps Museum and Hall of Fame

Speak of the devil.... here's some of the issues about the school in my area from the local papers on line site. Just got posted a few hours back. Next.... snag... hit....

Only linking because if not careful, the museum committee might hit a big expensive oh crap. Read some of the specs on the school and IIRC the estimate to upgrade the heating system, etc is a not so cool half a million. Which is more than the cost to knock down.

Other interesting part to me since I have to deal with the locals (OK I didn't grow up here) is: "Fitzpatrick said the community is “pretty set against” the idea of condominiums, and said residents would be prepared to fight it legally." Yeah when they don't like something....

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/01/schaeffer_schools_future_will.html#incart_river_default

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Not attempting to hijack this thread... this is somewhat (if very tenuously) related:

If you were the nominating/selection committee for the brand new Drum and Bugle Corps Hall of Fame, and could only select one member per year, obviously the first year would be incredibly important - who would be your first choice? (and of course, why?). No DCA/DCI/Red Carpet focus. Drum corps since the beginning until now.

I'll chime in later if this gets any legs - I don't expect it to - I don't think I'm synched with the readers on DCP any more.

But,,, WTH right?

Edited by rayfallon

Not attempting to hijack this thread... this is somewhat (if very tenuously) related:

If you were the nominating/selection committee for the brand new Drum and Bugle Corps Hall of Fame, and could only select one member per year, obviously the first year would be incredibly important - who would be your first choice? (and of course, why?). No DCA/DCI/Red Carpet focus. Drum corps since the beginning until now.

I'll chime in later if this gets any legs - I don't expect it to - I don't think I'm synched with the readers on DCP any more.

But,,, WTH right?

Scotty Chappelle?? From the little bit I read seemed he really moved horns to be more musical.

Speak of the devil.... here's some of the issues about the school in my area from the local papers on line site. Just got posted a few hours back. Next.... snag... hit....

Only linking because if not careful, the museum committee might hit a big expensive oh crap. Read some of the specs on the school and IIRC the estimate to upgrade the heating system, etc is a not so cool half a million. Which is more than the cost to knock down.

Other interesting part to me since I have to deal with the locals (OK I didn't grow up here) is: "Fitzpatrick said the community is “pretty set against” the idea of condominiums, and said residents would be prepared to fight it legally." Yeah when they don't like something....

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/01/schaeffer_schools_future_will.html#incart_river_default

That is a highly isolated case that you use as a example, and most SALES of surplus school buildings(99.9%) do not have these issues. Right now, the Philadelphia school district is selling 28 schools, and the only issue concerning the sale is whether the buildings will sell for enough money. The public does not have much say in whether the sale goes through, in most of the cases of surplus school property.

A Drum corps museum could BUY a similar property, and convert it, and not really have to ask for permission. http://www.schoolpropertylocator.com has school properties for sale all the time, and so does EBAY. Most of them are outright sales, with no approval needed from anyone as to how they are used.(as long as the building meets code, usually.)

Edited by cdm

That is a highly isolated case that you use as a example, and most SALES of surplus school buildings(99.9%) do not have these issues. Right now, the Philadelphia school district is selling 28 schools, and the only issue concerning the sale is whether the buildings will sell for enough money. The public does not have much say in whether the sale goes through, in most of the cases of surplus school property.

A Drum corps museum could BUY a similar property, and convert it, and not really have to ask for permission. http://www.schoolpropertylocator.com has school properties for sale all the time, and so does EBAY. Most of them are outright sales, with no approval needed from anyone as to how they are used.(as long as the building meets code, usually.)

I'm glad there are places that do not have as many strings attached as the area I live in (and they are looking for a sale). Guessing the difference between a large city with a lot of buildings and small town. I have no idea what goes on with building sales like this but just giving a warning about what might happen if the Museum group expects a sale to be like the "usual type". Also forgot how bad the heating plant and buildings can be after decades of use and how this could kill a budget before things really get moving.

great idea!.........a school with a football field would be friggin' awesome!,...........it could be a venue for a show or a few, World, Open, DCA, as well as soundsport, winter guard shows, indoor drumline contests........it could house corps across the season,............auditorium for the virtual stadium and show feeds,....................lease facilities out for other shows, concerts and community events and meetings,................

You could set it up like the Baseball HOF. Have a show right there. Hold the HoF Ceremonies there. The possibilities are enormous.

Get the major manufacturers involved but don't forget the ones like a LUDWIG whose drums almost every Corps played at one time or the other.

Too bad they couldn't keep up and compete with Pearl,Yamaha etc.

You could set it up like the Baseball HOF. Have a show right there. Hold the HoF Ceremonies there. The possibilities are enormous.

Get the major manufacturers involved but don't forget the ones like a LUDWIG whose drums almost every Corps played at one time or the other.

Too bad they couldn't keep up and compete with Pearl,Yamaha etc.

I totally agree. I would be hesitant to include the major manufacturers, unless they are willing to participate no strings attached. (my personal opinion, Past experience has shown me to be skeptical of who is offering money.)