Acoustic Enhancements to Lucas Oil Stadium

Question: What future steps are being taken to mitigate the sound quality problems at LOS, or were the changes that were made for 2010 the extent of what we can expect to see?

Answer: (from Dan Acheson, DCI Executive Director and CEO)

Each year, their have been tweaks to the interior of Lucas Oil Stadium related to addressing various concerns with acoustics. New in 2010 was the installation of additional insulation panels in the south end around the window. Additional insulation was also added to the top of the press box. Additionally, fans may have noticed that all of the sliding glass windows in the suites throughout the building were opened to eliminate the reflection of sound off of those windows.

The ongoing objective of the stadium management is to minimize reflection points to the greatest possible degree whenever possible. Remember too, the plan before the 100 degree heat index we experienced during the week of the DCI World Championships was to open the roof which is widely believed to provide additional remedy as well.

Lastly, all the professionals with whom we have consulted related to acoustics agree the number one absorbent of sound is the human body.

• Like 1

follow up question if possible:

Will the large windows above each end zone open as well as the roof if weather allows? I think they may a bigger part of the issues than the actual roof

Question: What future steps are being taken to mitigate the sound quality problems at LOS, or were the changes that were made for 2010 the extent of what we can expect to see?

Answer: (from Dan Acheson, DCI Executive Director and CEO)

Lastly, all the professionals with whom we have consulted related to acoustics agree the number one absorbent of sound is the human body.

So what the professionals are indicating is that more people in the seats will absorb more sound. I wonder what DCI is doing to move towards that goal?

• 2 weeks later...

Will the large windows above each end zone open as well as the roof if weather allows? I think they may a bigger part of the issues than the actual roof

I need to clarify a point on that one: Only one of the windows above the end zones (the NE facing one) is capable of opening.

Otherwise, I don't have an answer.

I need to clarify a point on that one: Only one of the windows above the end zones (the NE facing one) is capable of opening.

Otherwise, I don't have an answer.

so that cures half of the possible problem

• 1 month later...

To clarify -

I have been in Lucas Oil when the roof is open and the window is not, and I have also been in when the window is open and the roof is not.

The two CAN be opened independently of each other. The question is WILL they... and I'm not sure that would be DCI's call - not sure who makes that decision.

• 7 months later...

How much longer will DCI stay there ,its really not a great place for drum corps .Having been there once with the sound bouncing off the back walls i would never go back.I like to seat as high up as i can ,and i recall the same problem in philly with seating in the lower tier that far back .So the next time i went i bought the second tier no back wall ,much better sound .

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Open the roof and the windows! The corps perform in the heat all summer long. Air conditioning is nice but is sacrificing sound quality worth it???

Open the roof and the windows! The corps perform in the heat all summer long. Air conditioning is nice but is sacrificing sound quality worth it???

I think one of the big issues with regards to opening either the window or the roof is the weather.

2010 - Heatwave. it was a relief to get inside the stadium. The corps are used to it and only out in it for a short time but for the audience to sit all day in that heat would not have been fun.

2011 - Strong winds. So strong that during semis (I think during SCV) the doors to the stadium were locked to keep folk safe inside. Some folk were killed at the state fair just a few miles away.

2012 - Heavy Thunderstorms. Without the roof, finals 2012 would have been a washout... for somebody like me who pays thousands of dollars to fly from the other side of the atlantic and who is on a tight itinerary, a washout just isn't an option for me. If it's called off because of rain then I can't go the next day.

The sound is not as good as an outdoors show but equally, it's not as bad as some folk say. I noticed the difference from 2010 to 2012, the extra material they hung from the roof helped a lot. The overhang after a cut off wasn't as obvious and tended to be synth related. Visually it's perfect, facilites wise it's better than most, the corps no matter where they place get to play under the lights which I know is a big deal for the lower placed corps and as I suggested the sound although not perfect is ok.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So what the professionals are indicating is that more people in the seats will absorb more sound. I wonder what DCI is doing to move towards that goal?

To place more fans in the seats DCI, in conjunction with Gibbs, are in the process of making sure the Blue Devils field

show in 2014.