2013?

I'm one of those who, in the past, built a vacation around DCI Championships. Travelling to Indianapolis annually for only the drum corps show isn't something I've done (more than once). Into future years, I'll be satisfied attending the regional shows.

• 4 months later...

Although I will continue to attend finals, I concur that the different venues of past years are greatly missed.

I can't imagine not attending finals. Though I loved seeing new places, DCI finals with all the corps, fans and friends was and is the priority. I'd go back to Jackson, Miss., if finals were there. Nuff said?

HH

Edited by glory

Its only year 2, year 3 in indiana, and im already getting to that point.

Been mentioned many times but...I believe a rotation between three different locations would be a great idea. Something like Denver, Madison and Indy. Another hobby I enjoy rotates their national show (as best they can) where it is west coast, midwest then east and back west again. Keeps it interesting...

Been mentioned many times but...I believe a rotation between three different locations would be a great idea. Something like Denver, Madison and Indy. Another hobby I enjoy rotates their national show (as best they can) where it is west coast, midwest then east and back west again. Keeps it interesting...

How about Madison, VEGAS, and Indy :devil::thumbup: . THAT would definitely give everyone something to do when not going to the shows.

• 1 month later...

I think when you're young the trip to see DCI Finals is more about the performances and you could care less where you are getting to see it, providing you get decent seats and the sound is pretty good.

I was probably more like this when I was traveling to a ton of shows in the 80s and 90s. So for the younger fans today, they probably don't mind Indianapolis too much, but I am sure they are not thrilled with the sound.

For those my age (mid 40s) and older, there simply are more variables to consider. We only get so much time away from work. We are on fixed budgets because we have families, bills, investments, repairs around home, and we need to plan for retirement. We can't just take off at a moment's notice, and we are certainly not going to spend valuable vacation time going to the same city for DCI Finals just because we happen to love Drum Corps. I do love drum corps, no doubt, but it was best when Finals moved around the country, and it's always BEST when the stadium actually sounds good, where the acoustics are perfect for outdoor performance.

• Like 3

How about Madison, VEGAS, and Indy :devil::thumbup: . THAT woulddefinitely give everyone something to do when not going to the shows.

I live in Vegas. As nice as it would be to have the drum corps right here, August would not be conducive to drumcorps. Too hot.

Garry in Vegas

I live in Indy. I love the city. I even like Lucas Oil Stadium........ for BOA, for football, for ISSMA State Finals...

But I am a DCI fanatic and I'd love nothing more than to attend Finals in Madison or Foxboro or Denver or Orlando again... (wait, no, not Orlando)... or just, somehere besides Lucas Oil. If we're going to be forced to pay over $125 for a single ticket to sit anywhere close to a decent seat (sorry, but anything outside of that price range is muddled due to how the acoustics are in that place), or even more when purchasing tickets from FODCI members, it's ludicrous. At least make it worth my while to pay that much and give me another venue, or several venues that rotate around.

Again, I love Indianapolis, but I also love drum corps too much to sit in the oil can year after year and hear sound bouncing off the metal roof and glass windows, when we could be OUTSIDE where this activity was meant to be put on display.

2008 Championships in Bloomington were incredible. 1999 and 2002 in Madison were awesome for me. 2005 in Foxboro was one of my favorites. I just can't deal with the same old crap year after year for the location of DCI Finals.

I know I just repeated the same thing 3 times. But hopefully, coming from someone who LIVES in this city, my opinion (and friends that feel the same) may give you a perspective on how people even around here feel about this situation. Glad Finals is here, but hate that it's every year.

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 5

I wish J Birney Crum was big enough :sad:

I'm not going to lie... I was looking forward to finals in 2013 being anywhere but LOS. I thought finals in 2008 was great compared to 2009 & 2010. I like hearing the sound the performers are making, not a mix of the sound they are making plus the sound they were making 2 seconds ago.

I still remember all the hype on the fact this stadium was being designed with acoustics in mind. Oops.

• Like 2