2013?

I think when you're young the trip to see DCI Finals is more about the performances and you could care less where you are getting to see it, providing you get decent seats and the sound is pretty good.

I was probably more like this when I was traveling to a ton of shows in the 80s and 90s. So for the younger fans today, they probably don't mind Indianapolis too much, but I am sure they are not thrilled with the sound.

For those my age (mid 40s) and older, there simply are more variables to consider. We only get so much time away from work. We are on fixed budgets because we have families, bills, investments, repairs around home, and we need to plan for retirement. We can't just take off at a moment's notice, and we are certainly not going to spend valuable vacation time going to the same city for DCI Finals just because we happen to love Drum Corps. I do love drum corps, no doubt, but it was best when Finals moved around the country, and it's always BEST when the stadium actually sounds good, where the acoustics are perfect for outdoor performance.

Great post. Too bad you are not Executive Director and CEO of DCI. I am so sick and tired of some of the decisions they make. No wonder Finals attendance has decreased by about 10,000 over the past decade. And the younger crowd thinks things are all hunky dory....

I wish J Birney Crum was big enough :sad:

It would not matter because they shoved Indy down our throats. Indy is very aggressive and extremely good at bringing in big time events such as the NCAA Finals Men and Womens basketball championships. At least you have the two August shows in Allentown. I live near Pittsburgh and our season is already over as of June 23, where we had a whopping total of five corps at a show. There is only one show anywhere near here.

Edited by And in first place~

It would not matter because they shoved Indy down our throats. Indy is very aggressive and extremely good at bringing in big time events such as the NCAA Finals Men and Womens basketball championships. At least you have the two August shows in Allentown. I live near Pittsburgh and our season is already over as of June 23, where we had a whopping total of five corps at a show. There is only one show anywhere near here.

I actually have to make the trip from kentucky every year to Allentown, i can pick you up on the way if you want!:thumbup:

I live in the Prairies and fly to Ontario to visit family. A side trip to Indy is short from there. What if I decided to take a side trip; a last minute decision? Where would I stay? Are the hotels full? Can I buy a ticket at the wicket with cash if I happen to be there? Questions that are rarely answered in these forums. Indy is a nice city, might go again as long as my whim is doable. I suspect I'm in the minority too.

edit if I can't find a place to stay, I'll bring my sleeping bag and sleep on the floor with a corps :tongue:

if you do Indy last minute, call me. I can set you up with a room at the Hilton and great seats for all three nights, plus a BBQ, and transportation from the hotel to the Stadium and back each day!

• Like 1

One of the points of contention the G-8 had or have with the way things are being run was the move to keep Championships in Indy for 10 years! Even the top corps hate the idea! Why is DCI not getting it? We don't want to go to Indy year after year! We want to go to different parts of the country, maybe into Canada, and enjoy something different! Going to Pasadena in 2007 was one of the best drum corps, and travel, experiences of my life!! c'mon, DCI! Get a clue! Give the fans what we want! You'll be glad you did!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of things happen in the same place every year. The US Open, Wimbledon, The French Open, The Kentucky Derby, The Rose Bowl, Mardi Gras, SXSW and so on.

Stability like this makes planning, budgeting, and negotiating much simpler, usually brings lower costs, and though is a pain for some people is actually a help to a lot of people.

By contrast, look what happened with ticketing at the Super Bowl this year. I guarantee there is a much higher potential for snafus and mixups when the venue changes every year.

Think about corp housing alone. Imagine having to go out and find locations for 30-50 groups every year in a new location.

So yes, I see this as a good thing. I dont go to Indy to see the city, I go to watch the corps. LOS is a nice venue, there is plenty of good food and hotels close by and it isn't outrageously expensive compared to many cities.

conversely, my season doesnt begin until Allentown, because nothing is within 2 hours of me except West Chester on a week night

One of the points of contention the G-8 had or have with the way things are being run was the move to keep Championships in Indy for 10 years! Even the top corps hate the idea! Why is DCI not getting it? We don't want to go to Indy year after year! We want to go to different parts of the country, maybe into Canada, and enjoy something different! Going to Pasadena in 2007 was one of the best drum corps, and travel, experiences of my life!! c'mon, DCI! Get a clue! Give the fans what we want! You'll be glad you did!

here's the problem...they are in a contract now. they can't afford to get out of it

A lot of things happen in the same place every year. The US Open, Wimbledon, The French Open, The Kentucky Derby, The Rose Bowl, Mardi Gras, SXSW and so on.

Stability like this makes planning, budgeting, and negotiating much simpler, usually brings lower costs, and though is a pain for some people is actually a help to a lot of people.

By contrast, look what happened with ticketing at the Super Bowl this year. I guarantee there is a much higher potential for snafus and mixups when the venue changes every year.

Think about corp housing alone. Imagine having to go out and find locations for 30-50 groups every year in a new location.

So yes, I see this as a good thing. I dont go to Indy to see the city, I go to watch the corps. LOS is a nice venue, there is plenty of good food and hotels close by and it isn't outrageously expensive compared to many cities.

minus the Kentucky Derby, all of those other host areas offer a hell of a lot more than Indy does....and Indy has a stadium with a roof on it, which doesn't mix with drum corps

Attented once ,hated the sound bouncing off the walls would never go back. Drum corps belong out side .Loved Whitewater .Philliy,any where but Lucas Oil Staduim .