Marching Cymbals

Without doubt one of the highlights from LOS this year!

Matter of opinion. Not much of a highlight for the actual cymbal line players that got axed! Not much of a positive commentary on the musical value of the art of piatte technique! So, to enhance your visual pleasure, and since the synth is now legal, why not also eliminate the tuba line, put the instruments in the hands of the guard mid show, and have them blow confetti out the bells!!! Just sayin'. :smile:

Edited by Stu

Personally, I have never heard suspended pit cymbals produce nearly the variety of cymbal sounds heard from a typical marching cymbal line. The vast majority of cymbal sounds emanating from the pit are mallet swells, which occur almost continuously in modern shows (and in my opinion are used excessively).

But there ARE pit players picking up crash cymbals to get "the variety of cymbal sounds" those cymbals can produce. PLUS the added sounds a variety of suspended cymbals of many sizes and types can produce.

they are getting 1/100th of the variety of cymbal sounds tho Mike.

Matter of opinion. Not much of a highlight for the actual cymbal line players that got axed! Not much of a positive commentary on the musical value of the art of piatte technique! So, to enhance your visual pleasure, and since the synth is now legal, why not also eliminate the tuba line, put the instruments in the hands of the guard mid show, and have them blow confetti out the bells!!! Just sayin'. :thumbup:

Lets just ignore that ever happened and talk strictly about cymbal lines in general. Id like to forget.

Lets just ignore that ever happened and talk strictly about cymbal lines in general. Id like to forget.

I know it hurts for those personally affected; and that is one of the reasons we are concerned about this matter of loosing cymbal lines. But by "ignoring" the reasons that percussion oriented cymbal lines going by the way side, by "ignoring" that one of the the driving forces is because corps' are wanting to put show over substance, will actually only exacerbate the problem. That is why I pointed out the hypocrisy that doing this to a cymbal line is ok to many people, but doing it to a tuba line would sound absurd to them.

they are getting 1/100th of the variety of cymbal sounds tho Mike.

I replied to Scott's post about suspended cymbals in the pit, which never mentioned being able to use crash cymbals. I think a lot of the things you mention are unique to having a marching section. Not that those sounds couldn't be created in the pit, it's just that arrangers don't want those sounds, I guess, for crashes played in the pit...though I have heard some special effects when the arranger wants them. They can and do get a variety of cymbal sounds using cymbals of different sizes, thickness and types (e.g. using China cymbals for desired sounds).

None of the above means that a corps should avoid using a marching section if they want.

I know it hurts for those personally affected; and that is one of the reasons we are concerned about this matter of loosing cymbal lines. But by "ignoring" the reasons that percussion oriented cymbal lines going by the way side, by "ignoring" that one of the the driving forces is because corps' are wanting to put show over substance, will actually only exacerbate the problem. That is why I pointed out the hypocrisy that doing this to a cymbal line is ok to many people, but doing it to a tuba line would sound absurd to them.

As one of the people it effected i would prefer if it just went away.

As one of the people it effected i would prefer if it just went away.

Please believe me that my heart is with you! Just know that if the subject just goes away, there is a high likely hood that so goes the rest of the cymbal lines.

Edited by Stu

What I like about marching cymbals is hearing those sounds from so many different angles on the field.