Lower level corps need horn players too

I wish people would realize it is very fun and gratifying to be in a lower placing corps where everyone decides to stay and the corps grows and gets better because you didn't lose your talent to upper corps,

I started my DC career with a corps that had just come off a year where they placed 31st.

We got 33rd my rookie season, folded my second season. Came back and had 12 members at an early winter camp. Hung on to field 40 horns that summer and finished 29th. got 28th the next year, only lost 2 members to a top twelve corps and picked up a lot of new talent, finished 15th that summer. Again only lost 1 person to a top 12 corps, picked up more talent and got 11th that year and the next.

So I went 7 years with a corps and moved up from 33rd to 11th. It was a lot of fun helping to grow a corps and being a part of a nucleus that stayed with the corps instead of jumping ship for the big boys. Will never forget the 1st time we started beating corps like Phantom, VK, Cavaliers, Sky Ryders, Star, Crossmen, Freelancers, Boston, and Souncoast Sound for the 1st time as we moved up the ranks.

So don't just go march with an established winner, where you'll just be one in a long line of members who marched finals with the corps, go out and make a smaller corps better and help them climb to making finals for the first time. Believe me it's really worth it and a hell of a lot of fun.

And Autumn Leaves in 87 ..... what a show. :mat:

When a corps turns the corner and why- or what the members thought while being part of it. A "turning the corner" year for their corps is a story I like to read.

Thanks for sharing this story as I am a fan of Blooo, and their success over these many years

As it relates to the thread- I liked what Mark Sylvester said during the Blue Knights performance at Quarterfinals concerning this topic. He made some great points.

You're not going to change the mentality of all the kids everywhere that are trying out. Its really the corps responsibility to both create a program that's worth joining and get recruiting information out there.

However, a simple suggestion that's feasible and might help: when corps send out their letters cutting kids, include information encouraging them to apply at other corps, along with contact info for all other DCI world and open class corps. There are so few now that you can fit this on a single sheet of paper. DCI could even make up a standard sheet and provide it to all of the corps, they'd just need to put one copy in each envelope they send out with the bad news that you didn't make their line.

You're not going to change the mentality of all the kids everywhere that are trying out. Its really the corps responsibility to both create a program that's worth joining and get recruiting information out there.

However, a simple suggestion that's feasible and might help: when corps send out their letters cutting kids, include information encouraging them to apply at other corps, along with contact info for all other DCI world and open class corps. There are so few now that you can fit this on a single sheet of paper. DCI could even make up a standard sheet and provide it to all of the corps, they'd just need to put one copy in each envelope they send out with the bad news that you didn't make their line.

Outstanding suggestion!

I believe several corps do this now (although I have no proof of this). I'd be surprised, although again I have no proof, if most corps didn't offer something akin to a copy of the home version of the game on the way out for kids they've cut. I actually saw a cut letter dating from the 80's and it did just that. She ended up playing with us. Most of the top dawgs are prtty professionally-run machines; I'd think that goes with the territory.

Or am I wrong?

Sure, loyalty is a pretty forgotten quality in the activity these days, but I think corps need to do everything they can to keep a person's loyalty to that corps. I personally am not going to pay to stay in a corps that does not do what they need to keep me loyal to them year after year. I'll go elsewhere. As much as we hate to admit it, money plays a huge part in this and I would not to pay to stay in a corps if I felt like I'm not getting the most from that experience.

I was thinking. While I loved my time with the Crosmen,promises were made and once the season was over they were reneged on. On reason I never got my finalist patch. Loyality is a two way street. Sadly you only find out how loyal the other party is after the fact.

is it possible that out of those 90 cut (from OP example) that as much as half were 100% new to DCI and just didnt enjoy their weekend for whatever reason and decided DCI wasnt for them?

Many times this is already done. Just not broadcast to the world much.

I'd like to think that the kids are marching corps to "have fun" first, and "winning" after that. Not that I don't think every corps out there isn't doing their best to be the best they can competitively, but corps is about having fun with a special group of people you can bond with and find a home amongst. Some people find that in the "winning" tier of corps, others find it elsewhere...........

I believe several corps do this now (although I have no proof of this). I'd be surprised, although again I have no proof, if most corps didn't offer something akin to a copy of the home version of the game on the way out for kids they've cut. I actually saw a cut letter dating from the 80's and it did just that. She ended up playing with us. Most of the top dawgs are prtty professionally-run machines; I'd think that goes with the territory.

Or am I wrong?

Nope, you're definitely not wrong. I had a few friends from high school come with me to Crown's camp this past weekend, some with a serious shot at making the corps and some just for the learning experience. They all got a one-on-one audition and useful advice from the staff if they didn't think they'd make Crown; not "sorry, you're cut", but "you're not quite at the level we need, but you might have a shot next year. In the meantime, you'd have a good chance of making the line at corps x, y, and z, and that experience will help you if you come back here".

Edited by CrownStarr

I was thinking. While I loved my time with the Crosmen,promises were made and once the season was over they were reneged on. On reason I never got my finalist patch. Loyality is a two way street. Sadly you only find out how loyal the other party is after the fact.

And that's the worst part about it, which attributes to one leaving a corps.