Lower level corps need horn players too

Who said that Crown and Bluecoats won a DCI title? And the reason that the corps that dominate the number of championships won is not JUST members. It's a mixture of members, staff, design, show quality, drill, music, tour schedule, and everything else that goes into a summer. Plus there is SO much talent spread across all of drum corps. I WOULD bet that there is a fairly even amount of talent between the top 4-5 corps.

You forgot CI :laughing:!!

I'm glad my post made you chuckle! Lord knows we need a good laugh now and then.

Now ask yourself. Did you join a corps so you can make that corps win, gain money and beat all the other corps? OR did the significance of getting your corps more money with higher placements happen after you became a member?

I believe we are talking about competition as a reason for JOINING not for it significance in monetary gain. The "unmeaningless" of competition comes from its inability to correctly gauge who is better, what show was more entertaining, what is more liked by the crowd, and it does little to improve or destroy the experience of drum corps. All of the non-monetary aspects of drum corps.

Competition is a general framework that makes it interesting to fans, and for the fans competition is significant. But from my experiences and with other members, (I'm not speaking for all members just for the members that I know and met over the years) competition was in effect meaningless, yes. If competition is mearly "significant" because it can get corps more money to survive as you said, I would say that this is true. But I don't know anyone who joined a drum corps because they wanted to get the corps more money by moving higher in the placements. I've just never come across anything like that.

Actually I'm one of those wack jobs (ask my wife) who joined cuz I was a Jr in HS and was going to Community College after graduation. IOW - no more playing horn unless I joined a local town band who had the rep of being average age of deceased <$1 to a comedian whose name I forget>. So joined the local corps just to play and kind of got sucked into being with them while they improved. But really joined just so I could still play a horn, much like why I rejoined a few years back.

As for the getting the corps more money, what happened was to get the corps back on the field more than a few people took out loans for equipment, salaries, etc. To snip a long history lesson, the DCA Finalists (aka Top 10) back then got more invites to DCA shows due to the rules regarding DCA shows. And since DCA paid the best, more DCA shows = more $$$$. And also BITD, the corps didn't get appearance money, it was award money so the higher the placement, the bigger the paycheck. And corps management was really open about the corps being in the red, we didn't see the books but we knew that a lot of decisions were made to improve the red ink status.

And I'll be the first to admit I've had a very unusual corps "career". For my first corps folding three months after I joined to joining one of my old corps big rivals in the Alumni-type world. :thumbup: And every wierd ###ed thing in between. :laughing:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I can only think of one (out of maybe 10ish) that tried out for a corps, got cut, and didn't march with someone atleast. A lot of them were told from the corps that they were cut from which corps they knew would have some open spots, and they always (except the one exception) ended up marching there for one or two years. I knew one of them that loved that "lower" corps so much he stayed there for a few years!

I think that the kids that get cut, and don't end up going anywhere else, are really trying out because they like the idea of marching in drum corps. Not because they love drum corps.

From ContraRich77's sig:

<<

1988 Santa Clara Vanguard

1989-1990 Concord Blue Devils

>>

Someday, I'll have to get the whole story on how a contra player from 1988 SCV (practically the EPITOME of low brass) would say to himself "gee, I think I'll go march BD next year."

you're close....I played FRENCH HORN in SCV, and MEEHAPHONE the next two years in BD. Never picked up a contrabass until Renegades.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, this also might be a case of PC Altruism gone sour. Here is what I mean: Many upper level corps' today do not "cut" anyone in the (name) of not hurting feelings. Instead, they give out number ratings such as 1 = contract, 2 = you might make it so come back next camp; and 3 = you probably are not make it this season but please know that you are invited to keep coming back to our camps for the education. These corps' also make it clear that by the time summer rolls around only those with 1 ratings will actually go on tour.

and i'm sure there are people at multiple corps who get 3's in November and end up going on tour each year because they worked hard and improved enough.

Who offers absolutely no quality instruction or experience.

Really?

and i'm sure there are people at multiple corps who get 3's in November and end up going on tour each year because they worked hard and improved enough.

People? Multiple Corps'? Find me one such person, just one, that received a "three" in November with a WC corps and actually made it to a "one" with a contract by tour within the same corps; then I will believe you.

People? Multiple Corps'? Find me one such person, just one, that received a "three" in November with a WC corps and actually made it to a "one" with a contract by tour within the same corps; then I will believe you.

I know 1 person that was actually cut from a top 3 corps in November, who ended up marching with that same corps that same year through finals. I also know another person that was a "3" in November (top 3 corps), but chose to continue showing up to camps...he was accepted as a full member that same year and marched finals.

I know 1 person that was actually cut from a top 3 corps in November, who ended up marching with that same corps that same year through finals. I also know another person that was a "3" in November (top 3 corps), but chose to continue showing up to camps...he was accepted as a full member that same year and marched finals.

Of course I do not want the names of the people, but please provide the names of the corps', what position they marched, and what year this occurred. Why is that important? Because if it was 1982 that type of thing happened quite often, but if it was 2010 that is quite a different situation.

Edited by Stu