"Air Blades"?

Jim Nevermann

Your experience with them, please.

The site promo shows Air Blades released in 2008, so I presume they've been discussed here before, yes? If so, what was the Topic Title?

Never used them and you don't see them around much anymore, but from what I understand they're great for teaching kids how to catch solid to start out.

Keep us posted if you pursue them!

Keep us posted if you pursue them!

Will do, certainly. I'm not a guard person, but this caught my attention awhile back. I'll run it past our guard instructor/s [when selected] and members.

Thanks all for your input.

Jim

2nd Wind co-founder, director & drum instructor

Edited by Jim Nevermann

Airblades are heavier and rotate higher; In my band room you can toss quads on rifle and almost hit the ceiling, if you were to toss a quad on airblade you would definatly hit the ceiling. Not that many guards use them because there considered props (well at least in florida they are) but I saw a drum corps use them. I dont remember the name or year, If I find it il post it.

boston crusaders used them in 2008 i believe.. there are videos of it on youtube. i have never really seen them used and the guard actually be clean with them. i spun one once, and it seemed very weird to me... but that could just be me...

Yeah

I've also seen them used by:

Boston Crusaders (The retro space show)

Madison Scouts - I think

Pioneer - I think

From what I've heard and sen - they seem really hard to clean!

Later,

Mike

Airblades are considered a "prop" by WGI.

The groups Ive seen use them seem to be new to weapons and the airblade makes them look like they can do something "cool"... but in reality they are difficult to clean and teaching proper technique is difficult too. If you want your students to spin a weapon, then spin a rifle or sabre and avoid the costs of buying a set of airblades - you'll be glad you invested in something (rifle or sabre) that will stand the test of time. I.E. airblades are a fad that have come and gone...

Just my two cents.

They may be difficult to clean, but their curved shape, in my opinion, actually makes them LOOK cleaner than they are.... without the flat edge, there is nothing to really light up parallel to the ground, etc, so they actually spin cleaner and make a guard that may BE dirty actually LOOK clean.