DCI Tournament of Champions Format

So for the most part it looks to me like a lot of folks are #####ING to high heaven over something they would have killed to go watch a couiple of years ago... All the best acts all in one place at the same time at a stadium (somewhat) near you!

I personallywould not have participated in these events unless I was assurred that "pitching" the DCI image would not bite me in the rear end later on financially.

I'm just saying--if you're going to promote something as a "tournament of champions", all the corps should have been a past DCI champion. Bluecoats have never won any class at DCI. Putting corps like Mandarins, Academy, Pioneer, Madison and Cascades into the "tournament" and omitting Bluecoats from it would make the promotion accurate and legit.

I expect tickets will have to be expensive. Looking at a local show that has had good attendance and will become a G-8, the only way to make this idea pay will be to jack the ticket price or move the venue, which would jack production costs, meaning again, higher ticket price. That show nearly sells out already and does have a lot of locals, I expect a big $$$$ increase will drive off many of the local, casual fans which, doesn’t seem like the way to grow the activity

I also don’t like this text fan voting. I’ve never sent a text in my life and I don’t often carry a phone, just another way to marginalize legacy fans

That is the number 2 thing I don't like about this ( # 1 how money is shared or not shared ). The " top 8 " from the last year....

How many kids aged out of those corpd last year?...... ( many from every corps )

How many staff members have changed out?..

How many directors changed out?....

How many new members ( were not there last year ) are there in each corps?...

These are not the same corps that were in the top 8 last year.......

Well that maybe true but this concept isn't anything new. Time slots for performances are based on last years placements. (ex. crown will perform before Blue Coats at every show early-season except for their home show).

Considering how early these events are taking place (June in Texas being one of the first!), it the only system available to categorize how good the corps are. There is track record with those corps as well.

I also don’t like this text fan voting. I’ve never sent a text in my life and I don’t often carry a phone, just another way to marginalize legacy fans

Maybe marginalize you but over 82% of Americans own a cell phone (that number from 2007 so I'm sure it's closer to upper 80's by now). I know the legacy fans are traditionalist but I mean I doubt all of them are in the 18% that don't!

So for the most part it looks to me like a lot of folks are #####ING to high heaven over something they would have killed to go watch a couiple of years ago... All the best acts all in one place at the same time at a stadium (somewhat) near you!

I personallywould not have participated in these events unless I was assurred that "pitching" the DCI image would not bite me in the rear end later on financially.

No. I'm #####ing because the 2 night show that featured ALL the WC corps that I used to go to has been dwindled down to one night with the "Elite 8" and, for all I know since ticket prices haven't been released, I'll probably be paying close to the same price range.

I expect tickets will have to be expensive. Looking at a local show that has had good attendance and will become a G-8, the only way to make this idea pay will be to jack the ticket price or move the venue, which would jack production costs, meaning again, higher ticket price. That show nearly sells out already and does have a lot of locals, I expect a big $$$$ increase will drive off many of the local, casual fans which, doesn’t seem like the way to grow the activity

My daughter-in-laws 85-year-old grandmother texts and uses Facebook. Most of the legacy-age people I know of close to my age (57) text back and forth. How does fan voting using texts marginalize anyone?

My daughter-in-laws 85-year-old grandmother texts and uses Facebook. Most of the legacy-age people I know of close to my age (57) text back and forth. How does fan voting using texts marginalize anyone?

The 2011 TOC events are on June 24, July 17, 22, 29, 31, August 7. The closest event is over 1,100 miles. I'll check my vacation schedule, may be doable. I'm your age and prefer to remain facebookless. We went to semis and finals in 2010. At semis I noticed a gentleman with a digital camera pod (not a tripod) that looked like a cane. He took many photos and used his cell phone alot. I took 11 photos over 2 days of competition and turned my cell phone off.

I didn't want to miss a note, a beat, a step, a leap. I savoured the drum corps experience. I'm always offline while at a live concert! How about vintage label for the marginal audience; like fine wine :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Any word on ticket prices yet?

• 1 month later...

The tickets for the Houston show are on sale. As a bonus, you get to pick your seat out like the airlines do now. I don't see any higher prices than in the past. As for the service charge--to be able to pick my own seat vs. trusting someone in the box office to do it is something I'll pay for.