DCI Tournament of Champions Format

I have a few observations and theories on this whole Tour of Champions.

1) I don't mind the name (Tour of Champions), but it would be less offensive to those who take it literally, and more meaningful if the name were Elite 8 (or Super 8). The idea is to represent the top eight corps from the previous year, not to make a claim about being Champions when some of those corps have never won a DCI Championship. I realize that this is not the intended claim, but it helps when the title is more obvious.

2) I have said before, and will say it again, that the model being used here is bad for DCI. Here we are, the fans, all excited to see some drum corps, and some of the best in the activity have left their home states and regions to travel to Texas for the opening show.

Problem number 1 with this is the alienation of local, regional, and statewide fans that are ready to come see a show, and now must wait until these corps make it back from the west. I really believe that all drum corps, no matter what level, should try to begin their seasons in their home region, even if it means there are only 4 or 5 corps at the show, and perhaps only one of those is a World Class corps. So what? People will come out to see the early shows. This is when we are most excited to get out and catch the excitement.

Problem number 2 with this model is cost. Will the corps that place top 8 at DCI Finals always have the money to travel this way? And what happens when they do not? My greater concern is that with gasoline prices and other cost issues, I believe these TOC corps are being careless with funds. This is the reason they are now begging for more money from their fans. I am always happy to give money to a great cause, but I need to know that the organizations I give to are doing their best to stay on budget, even if that means cutting back on tour costs. Instead what I see is a willingness to travel and compete at the highest level, no matter what; and no matter where their budget happens to be set, what should be a NO is really not a NO, but a "Let's spend more" and then go to the fans and ask for the extra cash when the conditions change, or when they simply want to keep up with the "Jones'."

Problem number 3 with this model is the outcome to the show. Will all this extra "stuff" they plan to include really make the show that much more exciting? And in what way does this help the activity? Are we bringing in more fans by making TOC shows longer or by adding more features and benefits? Isn't the quality of what these corps do on the field in a competitive environment good enough? Are we saying that a drum corps show is really no longer good enough, so we must add new features to "jazz" it up bring in new fans?

I see problem 3 as a slap in the face to our activity. I think we are selling ourselves short. The very thing that the activity stands (corps in competition) is no longer good enough, and some special perks need to be added for more people to take notice.

To me the TOC idea was best when it was a one-time thing, or perhaps a once-every-ten-years thing. Now it simply feels stand-offish and segmented. Oh well, I will enjoy drum corps this summer and write some reviews based on what I see. I hope it's a great season. But DCI needs to find a way to allow corps to be more regional in the early stages of a season. I think that might help to reel in more fans. Not alienation.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1

I have a few observations and theories on this whole Tour of Champions.

1) I don't mind the name (Tour of Champions), but it would be less offensive to those who take it literally, and more meaningful if the name were Elite 8 (or Super 8). The idea is to represent the top eight corps from the previous year, not to make a claim about being Champions when some of those corps have never won a DCI Championship. I realize that this is not the intended claim, but it helps when the title is more obvious.

2) I have said before, and will say it again, that the model being used here is bad for DCI. Here we are, the fans, all excited to see some drum corps, and some of the best in the activity have left their home states and regions to travel to Texas for the opening show.

Problem number 1 with this is the alienation of local, regional, and statewide fans that are ready to come see a show, and now must wait until these corps make it back from the west. I really believe that all drum corps, no matter what level, should try to begin their seasons in their home region, even if it means there are only 4 or 5 corps at the show, and perhaps only one of those is a World Class corps. So what? People will come out to see the early shows. This is when we are most excited to get out and catch the excitement.

Problem number 2 with this model is cost. Will the corps that place top 8 at DCI Finals always have the money to travel this way? And what happens when they do not? My greater concern is that with gasoline prices and other cost issues, I believe these TOC corps are being careless with funds. This is the reason they are now begging for more money from their fans. I am always happy to give money to a great cause, but I need to know that the organizations I give to are doing their best to stay on budget, even if that means cutting back on tour costs. Instead what I see is a willingness to travel and compete at the highest level, no matter what; and no matter where their budget happens to be set, what should be a NO is really not a NO, but a "Let's spend more" and then go to the fans and ask for the extra cash when the conditions change, or when they simply want to keep up with the "Jones'."

Problem number 3 with this model is the outcome to the show. Will all this extra "stuff" they plan to include really make the show that much more exciting? And in what way does this help the activity? Are we bringing in more fans by making TOC shows longer or by adding more features and benefits? Isn't the quality of what these corps do on the field in a competitive environment good enough? Are we saying that a drum corps show is really no longer good enough, so we must add new features to "jazz" it up bring in new fans?

I see problem 3 as a slap in the face to our activity. I think we are selling ourselves short. The very thing that the activity stands (corps in competition) is no longer good enough, and some special perks need to be added for more people to take notice.

To me the TOC idea was best when it was a one-time thing, or perhaps a once-every-ten-years thing. Now it simply feels stand-offish and segmented. Oh well, I will enjoy drum corps this summer and write some reviews based on what I see. I hope it's a great season. But DCI needs to find a way to allow corps to be more regional in the early stages of a season. I think that might help to reel in more fans. Not alienation.

Very well-said!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

nm

Edited by BRASSO

Corps were selected for the TOC based on 2010 final competitive placement.

The 2011 Tour of Champions is a one-year plan, with no promise of it being continued in 2012. However, if it does continue in the same form, the corps would be selected from the previous year's top 8. If the top 8 changes, the TOC lineup changes. In your terms, yes, there would be relegation and promotion.

It'll be interesting to watch this unfold in the off season, imo

Edited by BRASSO

If it does continue in the future, It needs to be produced by a proffesional from the entertainment world. though it was a different experience, It still came across like a half as^^d drumcorps show trying to be something different to attract the mainstream public. Its close but just not there yet.

My 2 cents

Jay

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So here we are in 2012, Blue Stars are out and Boston Crusaders are in. Looks like the same format as 2011? I guess it worked great last year, we are doing it all again. Since the deal was for 2011 and maybe 2012 if it goes well, what about next year? I'm still wary of the G7 and I wonder what they are cooking up for 2013 as we speak.

TOC 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Q. Do the audience who actually attend the Tour of Champions events enjoy the new format?

A. Yes.

Q. Are DCI making money from the Tour Of Champions events?

A. Yes.

Q. Are DCI going to continue with the Tour of Champion events?

A. See previous two answers.

The Tour of Champions may change format as it evolves but ain't going anywhere, not while it adds to DCIs bottom line.

Q. Do the audience who actually attend the Tour of Champions events enjoy the new format?

A. Yes.

Q. Are DCI making money from the Tour Of Champions events?

A. Yes.

Q. Are DCI going to continue with the Tour of Champion events?

A. See previous two answers.

The Tour of Champions may change format as it evolves but ain't going anywhere, not while it adds to DCIs bottom line.

Please don't speak for me because I didn't like it and I know there are others as well.

However, as much as I'd like to for the Houston show to go back to 2 shows that featured ALL the WC corps, I know it's not going to happen again. Too bad.

Please don't speak for me because I didn't like it and I know there are others as well.

However, as much as I'd like to for the Houston show to go back to 2 shows that featured ALL the WC corps, I know it's not going to happen again. Too bad.

It wasn't my intention to speak for anyone in particular. There's no doubt there are those who dislike the toc format, some of whom like yourself may even have actually attended a toc show..... "insert sarcasm icon here" :tongue:

What's clear to me is the format is working well enough to satisfy the money men at DCI. If it wasn't then nobody would buy tickets and DCI would drop the toc tour like a hot potato.