DCI Tournament of Champions Format

Got my tickets for ToC Houston in the mail yesterday. I may be turning into a bit of a drum corps snob, but as I get older, the idea of a top-8 show gets better and better. It's not a marathon day (especially outdoors in Houston!) and... it's all of the top groups.

Mike

Q. Do the audience who actually attend the Tour of Champions events enjoy the new format?

A. Yes.

Q. Are DCI making money from the Tour Of Champions events?

A. Yes.

Q. Are DCI going to continue with the Tour of Champion events?

A. See previous two answers.

The Tour of Champions may change format as it evolves but ain't going anywhere, not while it adds to DCIs bottom line.

I'd like to know the evidence that you have that the TOC is a financial success. Have you seen actual numbers, or are you presuming because it appear fans like the concept?

I've not seen 990's for 2011 yet...maybe you have.

But if there's real evidence, I'd sure like to know it.

• Like 1

I'd like to know the evidence that you have that the TOC is a financial success. Have you seen actual numbers, or are you presuming because it appear fans like the concept?

I've not seen 990's for 2011 yet...maybe you have.

But if there's real evidence, I'd sure like to know it.

My evidence is based on common sense.

I don't accept that DCI are going ahead with a 2nd year of ToC knowing that it was a loss maker last year.

In these times of financial harship I don't believe for a second that DCI would take that kind of gamble.

Q. Do the audience who actually attend the Tour of Champions events enjoy the new format?

A. yes and no. the "extras" were panned

Q. Are DCI making money from the Tour Of Champions events?

A. No clue. No solid numbers released

Q. Are DCI going to continue with the Tour of Champion events?

A. Yes

The Tour of Champions may change format as it evolves but ain't going anywhere, not while it adds to DCIs bottom line.

edited based on reviews read on here and elsewhere

• Like 2

What's clear to me is the format is working well enough to satisfy the money men at DCI. If it wasn't then nobody would buy tickets and DCI would drop the toc tour like a hot potato.

I don't think the TOC is about the money men at DCI. Remember the G7 proposal? That's what the TOC is about. I don't think there was ever a question if having a show with the top 8 corps would make or lose and more money than any other show, the issue was keeping non-top 7/8 or whatever corps out of the shows. The concept is about slicing the pie in less pieces, not how big the pie is in the first place.

I don't think the TOC is about the money men at DCI. Remember the G7 proposal? That's what the TOC is about. I don't think there was ever a question if having a show with the top 8 corps would make or lose and more money than any other show, the issue was keeping non-top 7/8 or whatever corps out of the shows. The concept is about slicing the pie in less pieces, not how big the pie is in the first place.

I suspect you're 100% correct with regard to the reasoning behind the ToC tour but to split a pie regardless of how you split it, you must have a pie in the first place.

My point wasn't about the political argument behind the tour, "the haves versus the have nots" it was just about the tour being a success.

DCI have decided to keep the ToC tour in 2012 because the 2011 tour made money. To make money it must have appealed to the fans for them to buy tickets. If they had made a loss on it then they would have dropped it or at the very least changed the format... they've done neither.

• 7 months later...

Soooooooo...... Mr Roundtable... any update on the TOC/ G7 thing? Lots of rumors/leaks going on. Any official update on why the TOC is no more?