Post Ratings and Member Reputation 101

JohnD

One of the new features of the site is the post Rating and member Reputation system that has been incorporated into the forum's standard feature-set. This powerful tool allows the community to place value on the content of individual posts ... and by extension, rate how they feel about a member's contribution to the community.

Here's how it works:

1) Each post has a rating value - as indicated in the lower right corner of the post - which looks something like this:

Rating1.png

To cast a positive (or negative) vote for the content in the post - simply press the (+) or (-) icon and your vote will be registered.

2. If the post has already received rating votes by other members - you will see the current score. If the (+) and (-) icons are present, you may cast your vote.

Rating3.png

3. Once you have cast your vote, you may not vote for this post again. You'll note that the (+) and (-) icons have been removed.

Rating4.png

4. Ratings for ALL posts (that have received votes) are combined and an aggregate (net) value is calculated for each user. That value is the user's Reputation and is displayed on the Member Profile for the user.

Reputation2.pngReputation3.png

The Rating / Reputation feature enforces the following rules:

• Members may cast one vote per post. Once cast, the vote is recorded and may not be changed.
  • Members may cast up-to 20 (+) votes and 5 (-) votes per day. Once the daily limit has been reached, no further votes may be cast that day.
  • Members may not vote for their own posts.
  • The NET (aggregate) total of positive and negative votes is shown on the post rating indicator
  • Votes for posts are aggregated and the net value displayed for the post author, as the Member Reputation. So, if the member has accumulated a total of 10 positive votes and 7 negative votes - a Member Reputation of +3 will be displayed.
  • Voting details are not available to members and the moderation staff. I will be doing periodic audits of the system to ensure accuracy and that the system isn't being 'gamed' or abused. If we find that this is happening, we will take corrective action against the offending part(y/ies).

This can be a powerful tool for the community to help manage the quality of the discussion - by allowing fellow members to rate the 'quality' of the discussion. Let's use it in that light and have a good time.

Thanks!

-john

One of the new features of the site is the post Rating and member Reputation system that has been incorporated into the forum's standard feature-set. This powerful tool allows the community to place value on the content of individual posts ... and by extension, rate how they feel about a member's contribution to the community.

Here's how it works:

1) Each post has a rating value - as indicated in the lower right corner of the post - which looks something like this:

Rating1.png

To cast a positive (or negative) vote for the content in the post - simply press the (+) or (-) icon and your vote will be registered.

2. If the post has already received rating votes by other members - you will see the current score. If the (+) and (-) icons are present, you may cast your vote.

Rating3.png

3. Once you have cast your vote, you may not vote for this post again. You'll note that the (+) and (-) icons have been removed.

Rating4.png

4. Ratings for ALL posts (that have received votes) are combined and an aggregate (net) value is calculated for each user. That value is the user's Reputation and is displayed on the Member Profile for the user.

Reputation2.pngReputation3.png

The Rating / Reputation feature enforces the following rules:

• Members may cast one vote per post. Once cast, the vote is recorded and may not be changed.
  • Members may cast up-to 20 (+) votes and 5 (-) votes per day. Once the daily limit has been reached, no further votes may be cast that day.
  • Members may not vote for their own posts.
  • The NET (aggregate) total of positive and negative votes is shown on the post rating indicator
  • Votes for posts are aggregated and the net value displayed for the post author, as the Member Reputation. So, if the member has accumulated a total of 10 positive votes and 7 negative votes - a Member Reputation of +3 will be displayed.
  • Voting details are not available to members and the moderation staff. I will be doing periodic audits of the system to ensure accuracy and that the system isn't being 'gamed' or abused. If we find that this is happening, we will take corrective action against the offending part(y/ies).

This can be a powerful tool for the community to help manage the quality of the discussion - by allowing fellow members to rate the 'quality' of the discussion. Let's use it in that light and have a good time.

Thanks!

-john

I like this layout a lot thank you. I can not find the TOP tab is it still there?

Dean

• 1 month later...

Any chance of increasing the number the Green and Red points we get per day? :lookaround:

I won't be making any changes to the Reputation system until we have a few months of data under our belts and can see how the feature is being used. Everyone has the same number of votes - so we're all working under the same rules.

Once I've reviewed the data and have a better picture of the usage patterns, I'll advise whether we'll be making any changes.

-john

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what may be an odd request...are the colors red/green set in stone? Something like 20% of all males are red/green colorblind, including myself. I can see the difference in the +/-, as they are next to each other and a comparison can be made, but when the rating is by itself (for example, when viewing profiles), it's just a number in a circle.

I'm aware that wholesale changes for an individual is exhibiting quite a bit of hubris on my part, and also that for some reason green and red have become universal for stop/go, good/bad, etc., but if it's just changing a number in a line of code, and if there's no other reason than default, maybe a change could be made to blue/red, or black/white, or some other higher contrast scheme?

Or...maybe this should have been the first question...is there a high-contrast setting or skin available?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am color blind and can not tell the difference between this particular red and green. (really. not joking)

Is there another colr scheme or something else so you can tell?