Most likely to win first/beat Blue Devils?

158 members have voted

1. 1. Between these two corps, who is most likely to win their first ring in 2011?

2. 2. Which corps is most likely to end BD's undefeated streak in 2011?

• The Cavaliers
    • Bluecoats
    • Carolina Crown
    • The Cadets
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Blue Stars
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Knights
    • Glassmen

Then it's safe to say you don't agree with Competitive Inertia?

Bruckner? Bruckner?

I may be wrong, but I believe CI has everything to do with "getting into the fray for a championship"...and not so much to do with "when your up to your arse in it all the time!"

BTW what's in your pipe there G? Don't make me turn this car around!

I can't speak for others, but I certainly wasn't infering in my remarks that Cavies need to "mimic" anything concerning BD's current design trend. I was simply suggesting that finding "their own place outside the box" (as they did earlier in the millenium) and commiting to design departures from their traditions is the only way to challenge BD.

I am not sure why you feel a corps needs to go "Outside the box" or "Depart from their traditions" to challenge for or win a DCI Championship title. People have already said...execute a well thought out cohesive show...and you will be a Gold medal winner...

A good example would be this past season....two corps (And not just because I happened to like their shows) Blue Knights and Madison Scouts. Both performed what I guess you would call "Traditional shows".....yet BK finished a strong 11th (same as 2009 finish) and Madison beat 5 corps they lost to in 2009 to finish 10th.

Both did very well with traditional-type shows.....

Cavies need to risk absurdity.

BD "Risked Absurdity" in 2008....it didn't win with the judges or the crowd....

As far as the poll goes....Crown will probably win a ring before BC.

BD's undefeated streak will end in 2011....but I do believe they will challenge for the title (Prob top 3)

First corps to catch BD....hard to say....Cavies or Cadets

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

You said in another thread that you and I may not agree on much, and that may be true.

But I agree with 100% of this post.

Then we shall go mano-e-mano in another thread my friend....

:ph34r:

I don't know. I mean, it's personal opinion, but I think Bluecoats have had the more complete products, especially in reference to 2007 to now. I mean, Crown has always had the more dominant brass line, and that's their trademark, but it seems like guard and visual have been keeping them back, while Bluecoats seem more balanced, with percussion being the strongest section. But we'll see what happens, I think both corps have really been making strides to move up in the last couple of years towards more prominence, but it's always tough at the top. Only one person can win, and three can medal, but there's 23 corps in contention.

Crown hasn't always had the more dominant brass line. They've only had that distinction recently, beginning with their ascension to the ranks starting around 2003. Bluecoats had been known for their brassline for a very long time and way before that. The Bluecoats percussion section being the section they're best known for has only been a relatively recent occurrence. I understand that if you look at these corps through the narrow view of a couple of years, you would reach your conclusions. I have seen both groups longer, and view the corps from a longer period of time.

What do you mean by the term "getting a ring"? Do you mean a top 3 place finish for a medal? Or what?

Crown hasn't always had the more dominant brass line. They've only had that distinction recently, beginning with their ascension to the ranks starting around 2003. Bluecoats had been known for their brassline for a very long time and way before that. The Bluecoats percussion section being the section they're best known for has only been a relatively recent occurrence. I understand that if you look at these corps through the narrow view of a couple of years, you would reach your conclusions. I have seen both groups longer, and view the corps from a longer period of time.

Yeah, guess so. I've been paying attention since 03 or so, so I have only seen them in their current forms, so I've seen Crown with the dominant brass line, and Bluecoats with the dominant percussion section. But since we're talking about the next couple of years, I think how they are currently matters more to the discussion than how they were back in the 90s to early 2000s, just saying....

I think Crown's design team has the potential to put together a championship show before Bluecoats. All IMO of course. Last year had potential, but faltered; maybe more due to the injuries and such rather than design.

But I think they've been pretty consistent in putting out accessible, popular, difficult, AND enjoyable shows the past few years. It's just a matter of all the pieces falling into place for them. Design. Talent. Execution. And helalth.

Kevin Ford is a genius and I only see that corps getting better and better.

I couldn't agree more! I think it will be a few years before they become a major contender, but they are deffinitely on the right track. Blue Stars 08 and 09 were my favorite shows those years.

All too true, but #### hard to do! It may sound cliche...but I really believe Chandler, Murphy, Ryan & Company weren't BSing when they started Risking Absurdity back in 08. There was a definate threat that it would all go sideways and they would have to limp back to normal. But each year they have driven the bubble further out and it remains intact.....to their naysayers surprise (and maybe even a little bit to themselves as well). BD's only competition is BD and the bubble at this point!

Along those same lines, I think the Cavies found out that the bubble must expand each year.....even the mobile mosh pit gets stale. I also think that they found out this year that a hyper version of yourself (executed perfectly) can not out expand the bubble (if the competition has a good one going on!).

Ultimately, something's going to break this year....BD's bubble, the dino's hearts, a winning streak or Jeff's Jetta!! :rolleyes:

why bring me in to this? I have said nothing about BD in this thread at all.

and you wonder why people give you ####? there's why

As this is my first post I hope not to sound to dumb here :satisfied: But it seems to me the corps who is going to beat the devils of which are blue, is going to be the corps who is willing to conform to shows that may not be best suited for the audience. It’s going to be the designers who crack the code of DCI judging the way the BD designers have. And frankly this means a show that is almost impossible to judge. It seems to the dcp rookie that the shows BD has been putting out in the last two years have catered to sections at a time. Rarely does it seem that they did anything as an ensemble for the first three quarters of there shows. They draw attention to one section (high brass, guard, trumpets, low brass) at a time, so that they specifically clean the crap out of that section and the rest of the members on the field don’t necessarily have to be 100 percent clean until its time for there section to be featured. Specific example... I saw at finals the tubas going to make a straight line on the front side of the field to put there tubas down and they literally turned there heads both ways to make sure they were in a straight line... this was at finals. Back to my point, whoever is going switch there show design to show that can only be judged by sampling is going to have the best shot because that’s just how the judges have been judging.

• Like 2