Most likely to win first/beat Blue Devils?

158 members have voted

1. 1. Between these two corps, who is most likely to win their first ring in 2011?

2. 2. Which corps is most likely to end BD's undefeated streak in 2011?

• The Cavaliers
    • Bluecoats
    • Carolina Crown
    • The Cadets
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Blue Stars
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Knights
    • Glassmen

The Blue Devils are executing a comparable (or better) book better than their competition. They could perform jumbled space chords for 11 minutes at their level and as long as there was difficulty in that book, they'd win. Because they are better. They execute and perform.

This is absolutely not true. BD is performing on a different level than everyone else right now, but they could not go out and do what you are describing and win. They design well and they execute well, that is why they win.

I believe that Crown showed that they are loosing momentum last season...

I do not think the Bluecoats will win a DCI championship...

No one will break the streak this season... That is all... :thumbup:

I don't know about that last part Tony. You know it will be hard for them to break through the start of the season with the ToC shows. History has shown that BD is most vulnerable to a loss at the beginning and end of the season, and facing off against the top 8 from last year will be a huge challenge for all of the corps. I think we could see some crazy stuff happen during that first week.

Bluecoats to pull off the ring, Cavies to take out BD first.

Bluecoats to pull off the ring, Cavies to take out BD first.

I do see this happening, maybe not Bluecoats winning this year, but I see them taking the title before Crown. Crown needs work bolstering its visual program it seems, while Bluecoats have had more of a complete product the last couple of years.

I do see this happening, maybe not Bluecoats winning this year, but I see them taking the title before Crown. Crown needs work bolstering its visual program it seems, while Bluecoats have had more of a complete product the last couple of years.

Bluecoats had the more complete program LAST year, but not the last couple years. 2008 & 2009 were far superior on Crown's end. I would argue 2007 as well.

Bluecoats had the more complete program LAST year, but not the last couple years. 2008 & 2009 were far superior on Crown's end. I would argue 2007 as well.

I don't know. I mean, it's personal opinion, but I think Bluecoats have had the more complete products, especially in reference to 2007 to now. I mean, Crown has always had the more dominant brass line, and that's their trademark, but it seems like guard and visual have been keeping them back, while Bluecoats seem more balanced, with percussion being the strongest section. But we'll see what happens, I think both corps have really been making strides to move up in the last couple of years towards more prominence, but it's always tough at the top. Only one person can win, and three can medal, but there's 23 corps in contention.

I don't know. I mean, it's personal opinion, but I think Bluecoats have had the more complete products, especially in reference to 2007 to now. I mean, Crown has always had the more dominant brass line, and that's their trademark, but it seems like guard and visual have been keeping them back, while Bluecoats seem more balanced, with percussion being the strongest section. But we'll see what happens, I think both corps have really been making strides to move up in the last couple of years towards more prominence, but it's always tough at the top. Only one person can win, and three can medal, but there's 23 corps in contention.

You must be relatively new the activity, because Crown has not had the more dominant brass line. Heck, for a few years there the horn line was the weakest part of the corps (2002 & 2003 for example). As far as their interaction with Bluecoats goes, in 2007 Bluecoats won horns almost every show that year and only trailed off at the very end (they even won brass at quarters). Crown's "dominance" in brass has only been as of late, culminating in one Jim Ott in 2009. In the last 5 years of brass titles, Crown has one once, Cavaliers have won once, Cadets have one once, and BD has won three times.

I dont understand why everyone is so worried about BD taking it again this year. Honestly, and this is just my opinion, the chances of BD taking it yet AGAIN this year is low. They won convincingly in 2007, were undefeated in every show but 1 in 2008, and were undefeated in 2009 and 2010. To accomplish this feat again in 2011 will just be ridiculous. Im sorry but you can only go so far. They practically have a 4 peat going how it is, if I see a 5 peat I might have to sigh at the judges.

Im not a BD hater at all, but to have the same group win every year is a little ridiculous, especially given the fact that the score discrepancy was as high as it was this season. Yes BD probably deserved the win, but not by 1.15 points ABOVE cavaliers. Thats just ridiculous.

As for what I think will happen in 2011, its really anyone's game. I can see crown medaling, Bluecoats right behind them, cavaliers coming forth and fully recovering from their director change (I truly think that the last 2 years have been tough on the organization with the loss of Feidler, DuGrawe seems to have it under control now). Cadets are in the prime time to pull something extraordinary out of their plumes and get back in the top 3 again, as well as SCV.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see BD at 3rd this next year.

• Like 1

Cavies had a template, too. Hence it almost seemed like everyone was trying to put forth some type of "original music" composition on the field. And all the while that was happening, for the most part, BD stayed true to who they were, IMO. I really think that what BD is doing now is their own version of what the Cavies were doing earlier last decade. I remember 2003, when Cavies had their most amazing original show design (Spin Cycle) and it was defeated by BD because they were simply better - not necessarily by design, but by performance and execution. BD has been winning most captions, not restricted to GE alone. So to infer that other corps have to mimic certain aspects of BD's design template in their own unique way in order to complete is not true. And I don't think the judges are only rewarding championships to shows that are abstract or outside the box. Just my 2 cents worth.

I can't speak for others, but I certainly wasn't infering in my remarks that Cavies need to "mimic" anything concerning BD's current design trend. I was simply suggesting that finding "their own place outside the box" (as they did earlier in the millenium) and commiting to design departures from their traditions is the only way to challenge BD. NOT do what BD does, but do what Cavies can do, but do it surprisingly different....in short...Cavies need to risk absurdity.

NOTE: CC is IMO the most ready to challenge this design departure (they've dabbled already)...I just have a feeling they (or SCV) will be the first to jump in the pool. BUT, I do believe that Cavies have the chops to do it tomorrow, I just don't think they will leave their comfort zone and it will mean more medals of a different color then gold.

Edited by Plan9

I dont understand why everyone is so worried about BD taking it again this year. Honestly, and this is just my opinion, the chances of BD taking it yet AGAIN this year is low. They won convincingly in 2007, were undefeated in every show but 1 in 2008, and were undefeated in 2009 and 2010. To accomplish this feat again in 2011 will just be ridiculous. Im sorry but you can only go so far. They practically have a 4 peat going how it is, if I see a 5 peat I might have to sigh at the judges.

If Garfield can hit a 3-peat (maybe not undefeated all those years), any corps can do it, like BD. I just look at it and it's all about execution and design.

Im not a BD hater at all, but to have the same group win every year is a little ridiculous, especially given the fact that the score discrepancy was as high as it was this season. Yes BD probably deserved the win, but not by 1.15 points ABOVE cavaliers. Thats just ridiculous.

I think the little ticks from The Cavaliers added up to the score difference, IMO. I won't lie, I was impressed to see how well they improved from a 70.something to the 97 mark. But BD's visual program has been literally separating themselves from everyone else because it's that good.

With Cavies, their visual program is stellar, but if there are ticks every now and then, they add up. BD apparently had a lot less, and if you remember the last couple minutes of their show with the rotating blocks, that was the hardest thing I've seen them do, AND it was clean.

With a show that hard to design for BD....it's not like they got lazy and threw notes and running on the page. They had to be spot on for everything...and I'm talking mostly from a visual point of view.