Most likely to win first/beat Blue Devils?

158 members have voted

1. 1. Between these two corps, who is most likely to win their first ring in 2011?

2. 2. Which corps is most likely to end BD's undefeated streak in 2011?

• The Cavaliers
    • Bluecoats
    • Carolina Crown
    • The Cadets
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Blue Stars
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Knights
    • Glassmen

I dont understand why everyone is so worried about BD taking it again this year. Honestly, and this is just my opinion, the chances of BD taking it yet AGAIN this year is low. They won convincingly in 2007, were undefeated in every show but 1 in 2008, and were undefeated in 2009 and 2010. To accomplish this feat again in 2011 will just be ridiculous. Im sorry but you can only go so far. They practically have a 4 peat going how it is, if I see a 5 peat I might have to sigh at the judges.

Im not a BD hater at all, but to have the same group win every year is a little ridiculous, especially given the fact that the score discrepancy was as high as it was this season. Yes BD probably deserved the win, but not by 1.15 points ABOVE cavaliers. Thats just ridiculous.

As for what I think will happen in 2011, its really anyone's game. I can see crown medaling, Bluecoats right behind them, cavaliers coming forth and fully recovering from their director change (I truly think that the last 2 years have been tough on the organization with the loss of Feidler, DuGrawe seems to have it under control now). Cadets are in the prime time to pull something extraordinary out of their plumes and get back in the top 3 again, as well as SCV.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see BD at 3rd this next year.

No. It is not ridiculous. BD deserved to win and deserved to win handily. They could have been 3 points above everyone else last year and it could have been justified. I am no a BD fan at all (typically quite the opposite actually), but their visual ensemble was miles ahead of everyone else, their visual performance was miles ahead of everyone else, their horn line was miles ahead of everyone else, and they also had the best guard and the best music ensemble. All of that adds up.

I can't speak for others, but I certainly wasn't infering in my remarks that Cavies need to "mimic" anything concerning BD's current design trend. I was simply suggesting that finding "their own place outside the box" (as they did earlier in the millenium) and commiting to design departures from their traditions is the only way to challenge BD. NOT do what BD does, but do what Cavies can do, but do it surprisingly different....in short...Cavies need to risk absurdity.

Interesting. I thought last year WAS a departure for the cavaliers. I have not liked the corps the last couple of years, but I thought they were great this last year because they were different.

NOTE: CC is IMO the most ready to challenge this design departure (they've dabbled already)...I just have a feeling they (or SCV) will be the first to jump in the pool. BUT, I do believe that Cavies have the chops to do it tomorrow, I just don't think they will leave their comfort zone and it will mean more medals of a different color then gold.

And this... I just don't see it. To me their shows have been VERY similar. I mean last year their show was called "a second chance" for crying out loud and they reprised the promise of living from the year before.

• Like 1

Interesting. I thought last year WAS a departure for the cavaliers. I have not liked the corps the last couple of years, but I thought they were great this last year because they were different.

And this... I just don't see it. To me their shows have been VERY similar. I mean last year their show was called "a second chance" for crying out loud and they reprised the promise of living from the year before.

i agree that CC was similar and missed the mark by a mile last year. I'm only suggesting that they have design staff in place that get outside the box, if they choose to. And we can agree to disagree that Cavies were different last year, I just don't see it. They were (as I suggested) a hyper form of themselves, no real departure.

Edited by Plan9

No. It is not ridiculous. BD deserved to win and deserved to win handily. They could have been 3 points above everyone else last year and it could have been justified. I am no a BD fan at all (typically quite the opposite actually), but their visual ensemble was miles ahead of everyone else, their visual performance was miles ahead of everyone else, their horn line was miles ahead of everyone else, and they also had the best guard and the best music ensemble. All of that adds up.

I cannot disagree more. BD's were not "miles" ahead of either Cavaliers or Bluecoats saturday night. Where they the cleanest, best performed corps? Yes, but they were not miles ahead of cavaliers visually, nor were they miles ahead of other's corps hornlines.

I still stand by my comments on how difficult it will be for BD to win again this year. Not only do they have to be better than everyone else and just outperform the crap out of them, they also have to convince the judges to hand out another 3 peat. Something that I think that they are very reluctant to do, especially given the circumstances of BD's position in the scores the last 4 years.

• Like 1

i agree that CC was similar and missed the mark by a mile last year. I'm only suggesting that they have design staff in place that get outside the box, if they choose to. And we can agree to disagree that Cavies were different last year, I just don't see it. They were (as I suggested) a hyper form of themselves, no real departure.

Crown stumbled on design last year (and went through that nightmare losing battery member after battery member). Visually they were actually much cleaner than they've ever been. The brass tics were a result of design not ability. I shudder to think what would happen if you put (literally) any other brass line into that show.

And <gasp> I agree with Plan that visually the Cavies were nothing different than in years past. Musically I thought they were substantially better. Well I guess I half-agreed :-/

I cannot disagree more. BD's were not "miles" ahead of either Cavaliers or Bluecoats saturday night. Where they the cleanest, best performed corps? Yes, but they were not miles ahead of cavaliers visually, nor were they miles ahead of other's corps hornlines.

I still stand by my comments on how difficult it will be for BD to win again this year. Not only do they have to be better than everyone else and just outperform the crap out of them, they also have to convince the judges to hand out another 3 peat. Something that I think that they are very reluctant to do, especially given the circumstances of BD's position in the scores the last 4 years.

That's BS IMO, if a corps is the best every year, they deserve to win every year, regardless of what impression it gives. The judges would have far less integrity to not let BD win if they deserve to, based on some percieved eyebrow raizing than if they keep rewarding the best, and it shouldn't matter if they're 5pts better than 2nd or .05 better than second. Best is best, period.

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 1

I think it is BS in the perfect world. Yes the best corps should win period, but in the real world the fact that BD has won 3 of the last 4 years, and that year was by .15 points and a HUGE upset (in phantoms favor though) will make the judges at the very least, hesitant to give out another title to them.

Then again I could totally be up in the night and wrong, but you cant tell me that their winning streaks dont affect the judging at all.

The best player wins. It has nothing to do with how many wins have happened in the past. Look at the DCA in the last 5 years as an example, if you don't think it is possible.

While I don't think it will happen this year, between the two choices for the first question, I think Crown will get a ring before Bluecoats.

As far as breaking the Devils' streak, I'm going with Cadets purely based off of what I've heard from the brass so far. :)

You said in another thread that you and I may not agree on much, and that may be true.

But I agree with 100% of this post.

The best player wins. It has nothing to do with how many wins have happened in the past. Look at the DCA in the last 5 years as an example, if you don't think it is possible.

Then it's safe to say you don't agree with Competitive Inertia?

Bruckner? Bruckner?

• Like 1