Political Ads

audiodb

Catching up on my drum corps discussion, I was disturbed to have a political banner ad thrust in my face, courtesy of the Google Ads banner planted between posts 1 and 2 of the standard thread-reading display. The ad was an obviously self-serving one paid for by the teacher's union of my state, objecting to the concept of my state's government actually holding them to a budget for a change. But I digress.

DCP guidelines stipulate that members shall not make "any reference to material considered political or religious in nature". How is this possible if DCP's advertisers aren't held to the same standard?

Audiodb,

The most ads provided by Google are in relation to your personal browsing history as well as items posted on the forums. Drum corps does serve as an educational tool for music and that may be why it was included in the banner.

If you could let JohnD, Bawker, or JohnZ know when this happens again (screen shot), it will help them to pare down those ads.

Catching up on my drum corps discussion, I was disturbed to have a political banner ad thrust in my face, courtesy of the Google Ads banner planted between posts 1 and 2 of the standard thread-reading display. The ad was an obviously self-serving one paid for by the teacher's union of my state, objecting to the concept of my state's government actually holding them to a budget for a change. But I digress.

DCP guidelines stipulate that members shall not make "any reference to material considered political or religious in nature". How is this possible if DCP's advertisers aren't held to the same standard?

Its possible because we don't have a direct relationship with those advertisers .... as you well-know, the banners are placed by Google. Unfortunately, as smart as the programmers and their content-sniffing bots are at Google, they don't read our guidelines to know what's acceptable or not. We have to tell them what not to send us.

As Toby noted above, simply take a screen shot of an offending banner and send it to support@drumcorpsplanet.com. I'll add the advertiser to the list of those that we specifically block.

See - its not such a big deal ..... but then again, you already knew that.

• 2 weeks later...