Fundraising

I've been trying to raise money for tour for quite awhile now...I was wondering if anybody in the DCP community has any ideas?

Depends on your age: If you are under 18 do chores for people like deliveries, cleaning house, shoveling snow, yard clean-up and ask them to donate a check in your name to the corps instead of paying you directly (it is a tax deductible donation for them). If you are 18 or over: Work; sack groceries; do an overnight shift at an industry; get a job. Money is not going to be just given to you or fall out of trees. Also, the ethic of working for your due fees will prepare you for the work you will do out on tour. Best wishes on earning your money.

Edited by Stu

I've been trying to raise money for tour for quite awhile now...I was wondering if anybody in the DCP community has any ideas?

if you live near the Great Lakes...buy a snow shovel. Knock on doors. Do a good job. Ask for referrals. Then branch out. Dog walking. People don't want to get all bundled up to take Buster out to do his business. You could do that. Run errands. Get someone's groceries. A maid get's $65 a house. Three on a Saturday nets you over $200...and you have a very small investment.

Think small, easy and smart and then look for ways to make it grow. Also, once you've established a good working relationship with a client...build it, build it, build it. Listen to them, share your story with them. Tell them about what you are doing with the money you are earning and what it is going for.

I predict, you'll be where you want to be in short order.

Look here: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/forum/292-dcp-sponsorboard-2011-season/

Perhaps more importantly, contact everyone you know (or can think of) who has a job or a business. Compose a compelling story about what you are trying to do, and why, and be ready to sell yourself. Be specific in your request. Example: My corps will perform 30 times this summer. Will you commit to $10 per performance? Be creative. There are many ways to get this done.

People with money are out there, and will help a kid who is trying to do something significant. But you have to ask. Nobody is going to voluntarily give you money. If you cop out and convince yourself that no one will help, that you aren't a salesman, that it can't be done...well, you're right. And you probably shouldn't be marching drum corps. But if you are willing to suck it up and proudly ask for support, you'll get it.

Good luck.

Dave

I recommend kidnapping.

You can generally raise quite a bit in the way of funding in a short time...all tax free BTW.

Although it is not without potential problems.

Frankly, you may get an individual that, nobody wants back. If this happens, you are stuck

with not only a drain on resources, and you may wind up with a person with no musical or

performing talent whatsoever.

However, a simple work-around is available: When the person "falls into" your hands,

make the contact with the family go something like this:

"Give us $2,500 dollars - OR we'll send them back."

This technique has been know to work wonders :devil: .

Edited by Jocko the Wonder Llama

Here's some ideas:

How to Pay for Drum Corps PDF

and there's a group for this on Facebook that has some good ideas:

Facebook Group - How to Pay for Drum Corps

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much! Also I am currently selling tickets for the Mesa, Az show. Lineup: Academy, BK, BD, Cadets, Phantom Regiment, SCV and Revolution. June 22....email me at tnrbandgeek@yahoo.com if you would like an order form, tickets are $10-$30

Be willing to speak well and with deep knowledge about your organization and the benefits of being part of that organization in the long run. Sure, the marching is fun, but what is the real life-changing part? Make that story worth hearing and it's an easier sell.

Some points to consider: it's a lot harder for people to say no to you in person. Sending an email or snail mail letter is nice, but it may not get the results you want. Same goes for facebook posts and posts to forums.

Be willing to give up lots and lots of your free time to do jobs for other people. Babysitting, pet sitting/dog walking, yard cleanup, hedge trimming, garage organizing, etc.

A word to the wise about yard work - ask what people want and know what you're doing. Don't complain if they ask you to finish something or do something differently than you expected. Be willing to please the customer who is paying you for a job that a lawn service can do faster and better for about the same amount of money.