Judging Amplification and Electronics

Sort of like how that On-Q idea also worked out, huh?

Haha! Ain't that the truth?

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the elaboration. However, the question that immediately comes to mind is - so, Carolina Crown's synth player, who in their 2nd piece (Danzon No. 2) played the only melodic part in the introduction as well as the exit to the song (as a piano, then as a guitar)... where does that fit into the hierarchy? Percussion, because the synth sounds like a percussive instrument? Or because the synthesizer itself resembles a piano, which is a percussion instrument? Or do they get a pass on the execution caption and go straight to effect?

I get the explanation of effect, though, and I'm okay with that. Makes sense. I'm not trying to be nitpicky here, but electronic instruments - not sound effects, but actual instruments - can be any and all types of sound profiles. They're also being played by very talented players. Is there a clear definition of what caption actually rewards their technical talents?

Mike

Regardless of the sound being produced, the actual playing of it is judged by the percussion judge, as the player is located in the pit. HOWEVER, I've found that not a lot of judges, if any, know how to work a synthesizer or even play piano (a lot of them are battery guys, so a lot of marimba/vibe/bells stuff goes over their heads, anyway). So educating the judges would prove quite useful, but I don't know what the protocol is for judge education.

Having said that, I know how to get around all the electronics rules using keyboard functions that would take someone staring at the score to see. (And no, I won't tell. I like my cheaters.)

I think we should deploy Occam's razor here.

The simplest solution to all this angst is to eliminate the amps altogether. Besides creating all this hand-wringing, they attract no new fans and drive some away.

Unplug drum corps - for the love of God......

No, the simplest solution is to stop being a whiner and enjoy the product (drum corps show).

I’d like clarity on the electronic rule as passed. I recall the proposal was one stroke, one note, is that how it passed and is that still how it is written?

Not much has changed. Another rule is when using a sample, it can't have a clear tempo given. So gated synths and chants are not allowed.

At the risk of being called a dino, I agree. If I wanted a rock concert I'd go see Kiss.

Really? Kiss? :tongue:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Why don't you stop relying on cheating and go back to real Drum Corps where the performers training, talent and ability is what the crowd and judges hear and is judged. How about the instruments create the sound not a sound engineers board ? How about playing music people without masters degrees in music education can understand. Maybe instead of "themes" that requires pages of information to read and understand like Crown's empty box, we have songs like "Let It Be Me", "Ice Castles", "In the Hall Of The Mountain King", "Autumn Leaves", "Music Of the Night." songs that most everyone knows.

Discussions of electronics used in Drum Corps is pathetic. Why not have a system where doing bad stuff actually is subtracted from a corps score? Where it matters if people are cracking nots. There could be judges with score sheets on clip boards keeping track of people out of line, out of step, equipment not caught, cracked notes. Maybe they could make up a name like tics. That would require year long practice every weekend and once a weekday night practice-not just computers designing drills with performers using APPS to figure out what to do.

Maybe we could have high school band members being in corps with members from their cities, not like a Canton corps that practices in Memphis and has only a few members who actually lives in Ohio. And heaven forbid, let's have maybe VOLUNTEERS. We could have local circuits of corps, maybe 6 or 7 corps per metropolitan area giving a million or so youth members being called the best youth organization by TIME, LIFE, ABC, CBS, THE NEW YORK TIMES, every newspaper, every local council, every governor, every congress member Presidents from Johnson to Reagan. Maybe bring back the days when Drum and Bugle Corps was second only to both Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts combined in total number of member.

Maybe we could have drum corps every year take hundreds of thousands of youth kids from Jets and Sharks lifestyles into being doctors, lawyers, engineers, governors, mayors, legislators, CEO's. Not just be a source on music and performance majors resumes whose parents. make hundreds of thousands of dollars

Maybe we could have drum corps where everyone goes to local schools, lives on the same street, gets together at someones back yard to practice until neighbors want to go to sleep.

Maybe we could have what we had before George Hopkins took over Drum Corps.

It's time to unplug drum corps.

And again Cabs Jr is still living in the 70's. Get real! Kids today believe in technology and that is what drum corps, along with business and education is all about. Keep moving forward NOT backwards. Look toward the future!

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

And again Cabs Jr is still living in the 70's. Get real! Kids today believe in technology and that is what drum corps, along with business and education is all about. Keep moving forward NOT backwards. Look toward the future!

Possibly, but why not consider what he is saying? The KIDS (young adults) are not pushing electronics..and never have. I have no problem looking to the future but can we agree that it should be better and not be worse? Why not keep it an acoustic activity? I think we already covered in detail how more money seems to win because of perceived sound being "better" through certain sound systems. Why diminish the hard work done by over 99% of teh corps over one person pushing a key on a synth? Seems weak IMHO.

Why don't you stop relying on cheating and go back to real Drum Corps where the performers training, talent and ability is what the crowd and judges hear and is judged. How about the instruments create the sound not a sound engineers board ? How about playing music people without masters degrees in music education can understand. Maybe instead of "themes" that requires pages of information to read and understand like Crown's empty box, we have songs like "Let It Be Me", "Ice Castles", "In the Hall Of The Mountain King", "Autumn Leaves", "Music Of the Night." songs that most everyone knows.

Discussions of electronics used in Drum Corps is pathetic. Why not have a system where doing bad stuff actually is subtracted from a corps score? Where it matters if people are cracking nots. There could be judges with score sheets on clip boards keeping track of people out of line, out of step, equipment not caught, cracked notes. Maybe they could make up a name like tics. That would require year long practice every weekend and once a weekday night practice-not just computers designing drills with performers using APPS to figure out what to do.

Maybe we could have high school band members being in corps with members from their cities, not like a Canton corps that practices in Memphis and has only a few members who actually lives in Ohio. And heaven forbid, let's have maybe VOLUNTEERS. We could have local circuits of corps, maybe 6 or 7 corps per metropolitan area giving a million or so youth members being called the best youth organization by TIME, LIFE, ABC, CBS, THE NEW YORK TIMES, every newspaper, every local council, every governor, every congress member Presidents from Johnson to Reagan. Maybe bring back the days when Drum and Bugle Corps was second only to both Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts combined in total number of member.

Maybe we could have drum corps every year take hundreds of thousands of youth kids from Jets and Sharks lifestyles into being doctors, lawyers, engineers, governors, mayors, legislators, CEO's. Not just be a source on music and performance majors resumes whose parents. make hundreds of thousands of dollars

Maybe we could have drum corps where everyone goes to local schools, lives on the same street, gets together at someones back yard to practice until neighbors want to go to sleep.

Maybe we could have what we had before George Hopkins took over Drum Corps.

It's time to unplug drum corps.

I wont even address any of the post but will stop at your 1st line...Cheat?Performers Talent?..................as someone from back in the day as well as still involved today...the talent has NEVER been greater. We were kids off the street , many playing by ear and knew nothing beyond our parts. Kids today are far more complex with talent beyond belief. Do they have the same loyalty we did? the same desires, the same wants and needs? now thats debate able , but not their talent...thats for sure.

as for the rest............all I'll say is or add to.......maybe we could have a loaf of bread for 29cents or a gallon of gas for 50cents.again....hmmmmmmm........not gonna happen :satisfied:

Edited by GUARDLING

Having said that, I know how to get around all the electronics rules using keyboard functions that would take someone staring at the score to see. (And no, I won't tell. I like my cheaters.)

I have wondered that myself. I think there are myriad way to cheat with a decent synth and maybe a sequencer these days. What judges would actually know what I was doing if I mapped a sample of a difficult brass riff and played it when necessary? What judge would actually know the difference if I showed up with my Roland w-30 and Juno G? Do they care about the difference in quality of sound between synths? I just see so many potential problems with judging a new instrument family-especially one that has so many different types of sound generation from sampler, to sample based synth, to pure analog, digital, etc. I love synths and been playing them since the 80s-but don't think they are appropriate for this activity. Some things are better accoustic.

• 4 months later...

Solution is simple....... you can't bring onto the field what you can't march in a parade..... and MARCH, not ride on a float

On opening night in Indy I saw a concert baritone with a mic attached to it...... a baritone for the sake of having a non-bugle..... you wouldn't need a mic if the bell was aligned with the mouthpiece instead of the sky.

Joe