Cadets Uniform

Why was the topic closed? It's on their facebook page, multiple alumni have stated that Rudy Heimbecker confirmed that they were changing uniforms at the alumni meeting last night, there are meeting recaps online. Here's one example that is public for anyone to see. I'm not even friends with him.

It's funny how DCP allows so many "rumors" but then shuts down anything controversial because it's not an official press release. Maybe we shouldn't be allowed to talk about anything on here unless the corps puts out an official press release allowing us too.

• Like 5

Anyway, back on topic . . .from those FB comments, it appears that the alumni aren't real pleased with this. I suppose I can't blame them, given the way it seems it was presented.

I'm guessing this means the proposed costume/uniform is much more radical than the 2005/06 changes. However, I suppose this is a natural progression of the "theme" show and a direct pointer towards WGI as a influence; I'm actually surprised that it took this long to see someone have a seasonal "themed" costume for a specific show.

Withholding any further commentary until we see what these look like . . .

Thanks for posting this link because I assume a lot of readers here are like me and hadn't heard about it elsewhere. Any other links are appreciated.

Personally, I don't care what The Cadets wear, and I'd say the same about most corps (although I do have an attachment to The Cavaliers' uniforms (the 2010 changes went a little too far for my taste)). They could wear all black spandex bodysuits covered in blinking LEDs, or just march in their skivvies like they do at rehearsals, and I would still enjoy the show. Given that a huge chunk of a corps these days is the guard whose uniform varies wildly each year, it doesn't seem too problematic to make similar changes to the marching members' uniforms as well.

I understand that The Cadets have a pretty strong tradition with this particular uniform, but the uniform is really the only tradition that's left. They change their name every couple of years, even! The uniform is the least important part of the show. It's small potatoes compared to amplified voice, synths, and woodwinds. There's no comparison.

[edited to remove speculation about the reason the other post was closed, since bawker commented while I was writing the original]

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 2

Well there was a time in history when Cadets did not wear the traditional uniform. I'm not talking about 2003 - 2006, but you have to go WAY back in time. Except I can't find the picture.

It was somewhere between 1958 - 1961....once they broke from the Holy Name church and became Garfield Cadets, they ended up losing the West Point uniforms. So they had to wear golf shirts and shorts, if I remember correctly. You could look at them and would not think they were The Cadets we know today.

• Like 3

Well... it would certainly be better if there were details/description about what is "actually" going to change. Until then however this thread will just be about what the meaning of the word "change" is... and in drum corps land its always got a negative connotation. I'll reserve my judgment until further information is released.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

T.

Personally, I don't care what The Cadets wear, and I'd say the same about most corps . They could wear all black spandex bodysuits covered in blinking LEDs, or just march in their skivvies like they do at rehearsals Given that a huge chunk of a corps these days is the guard whose uniform varies wildly each year, it doesn't seem too problematic to make similar changes to the marching members' uniforms as well.

Maybe all this confusion could be avoided if we just put the entire Corps in whatever the Guard is wearing that year in that Corps. This way we won't have the Corps in clashing colors where the " unis " worn by the Corps proper might be dark blue, white,etc and the Guard is in brown, yellow, etc or whatever,... where it just isn't color coordinated at all.

Why call them " uniforms " any more either ? That sounds so passe now. Why not just call them " costumes " worn by the " performers " ? As we evolve, so should the name change too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1