Cadets Uniform

It is bad enough that alumni are having public fights about their opinions on the uniform because it hurts the MEMBERS the most. NONE of it is their fault, so why don't you take your additional negativity, and shut it. I know MANY current Cadets that did not sleep well last night because of the terrible emotional roller coaster that alumni have stirred, and your additional comments that are meant to be only spiteful are simply damaging to the activity and to the members.

I hate to jump on the Cadets bandwagon after so many controversial years, but the fact remains that the MEMBERS are the only ones really affected by this negativity. I understand the viewpoint of the alumni 100%, but posting in on a public forum like a bunch of high schools girls telling rumors about their more successful friend is NOT the way to handle the situation. If you really care about the tradition and your drum corps, send your messages to George Hopkins himself, and make your case. Every negative message is destructive to DCI, the Cadets, the members of the Cadets, and future members.

You have a point. Many members of the 2011 Cadets are viewing this forum. I can't imagine how they are feeling with such hostility from their own Alumni. Those kids really look up to the Alumni. I know some members lost alot of sleep last night.

• Like 4

...instead reportedly going with non Cadet Style costumes here in 2011 ? Time will tell. But it's fair to say that some Cadets alums think not.

That hasn't been said... even on the facebook post... all we heard was the word "change"... Brasso... No information on whether it is "cadet style" or not.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

To me that West Point uniform IS an important part of the tradition of The Cadets.

It has always been a cornerstone of The Cadet brand.

Maybe the fierce emotional connection to that uniform has been lost over the years with change after change being more acceptable?

It DOES make a difference what uniform is worn.

Well... it used to.

You think a fierce emotional connection to the uniform has been lost over the years? REALLY? I've already written this but it needs to be seen again...

As recently as 2009 they celebrated their 75th anniversary with a show that every Alumni could have proud of. Playing WEST SIDE STORY a cadet classic! And everything about that show was in tribute to its 75 years of history. ...2010? They did a show all about their uniform!! They literally said "hey, our uniform looks like toy soldiers... let's do a show about OUR uniform!! The drill imagery in the ballad reflected the eagle on their shako! They did classic old school drill moves. For goodness sake... as recently as 2 years ago the cadets were ALL about the Uniform and TRadition...

And now people are saying that the cadets don't care about their history and uniform and tradition because of a "change" to the uniform just for this season alone? I don't buy it... not a single bit.

According to a Garfield Cadets alumnus: "In order to compliment this year's Angels in the Architecture 'concept', the Cadets will have 1/2 the corps in RED uniforms/costumes and the other 1/2 in WHITE uniforms/costumes......."

I think it is a sad mistake. The corps might as well get rid of the corps name and logo and call themselves something like, "Allentown Keystone Sound".

FIXED

Replace the word "red" and "white" to "maroon" and "cream" and we're talking about a different story... this is like a poor game of telephone...

Edited by charlie1223

Okay, really BRASSO, give it a rest. Everything you have said on this forum is to fuel a fire and continue to insult the Cadets as if they are Sub-Drum Corps. Stop calling it a freaking costume, I know for a FACT that the Cadets are not going with a "costume" this year. If you are so freaking insistent on stirring up trouble, go to party city, buy yourself a little army "costume" and send the picture to everybody on DCP. It is bad enough that alumni are having public fights about their opinions on the uniform because it hurts the MEMBERS the most. NONE of it is their fault, so why don't you take your additional negativity, and shut it. I know MANY current Cadets that did not sleep well last night because of the terrible emotional roller coaster that alumni have stirred, and your additional comments that are meant to be only spiteful are simply damaging to the activity and to the members. I suggest you refrain from any more useless chatter in this serious forum. Trolls like you should go back to the cave from which you crawled out of.

I hate to jump on the Cadets bandwagon after so many controversial years, but the fact remains that the MEMBERS are the only ones really affected by this negativity. I understand the viewpoint of the alumni 100%, but posting in on a public forum like a bunch of high schools girls telling rumors about their more successful friend is NOT the way to handle the situation. If you really care about the tradition and your drum corps, send your messages to George Hopkins himself, and make your case. Every negative message is destructive to DCI, the Cadets, the members of the Cadets, and future members.

Selfish, selfish, selfish.

You are harsh but you do make a good point. Negativity is NEVER the approach Alumni, fans, or others should take in approaching this situation. Everyone should step back, think about what has ACTUALLY been said, think about how much is ACTUALLY known, think about the consequences of our words and actions, and communicate rationally and positively towards the discussion. It's a passionate issue for some, and it is only made WORSE by individuals throwing up their hands and walking out of the proverbial room without opening themselves up to NEW information or discussions.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Here is a design team meeting from November talking about color guard uniforms and the corps uniforms for 2011:

The claim being made is that the color guard uniforms have to be complementary to the CORPS UNIFORM COLORS. Which leads to believe that the corps colors are NOT changing. George makes a comment at the end saying...

"every time you put them [the corps uniforms] together , would it tie [them] together if their plumes and cumber-buns were the same colors..."

This is definitely a reference to the uniform the cadets will be wearing which looks like it will still have the same design with the gold cumber-bun etc. You can make your own conclusion about what this means, but I think it means that the corps will still be in corps colors, it will still wear a traditional uniform, but maybe something else is different with the placement of colors on the unifrom.... this is SPECULATION ONLY.

This is simply JUST based on a public video of the design team posted back in November. Edited by charlie1223

You think a fierce emotional connection to the uniform has been lost over the years? REALLY?

Read what I wrote.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The current members should understand that none of the hostility is directed at them. None of it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pedestrians that have never worn the uniform: Please bloviate more about what the uniform means to ME and many other Alumni.

How would you know?

• Like 1

It's also fair to say that NO ONE HAS SEEN what this year's uniform looks like. So people would be wise to stop jumping to conclusions until we have something tangible to complain about or praise.

How long 'ya been 'round these parts, pahdner?

• Like 1

Okay, really BRASSO, give it a rest. Everything you have said on this forum is to fuel a fire and continue to insult the Cadets as if they are Sub-Drum Corps. Stop calling it a freaking costume, I know for a FACT that the Cadets are not going with a "costume" this year. If you are so freaking insistent on stirring up trouble, go to party city, buy yourself a little army "costume" and send the picture to everybody on DCP. It is bad enough that alumni are having public fights about their opinions on the uniform because it hurts the MEMBERS the most. NONE of it is their fault, so why don't you take your additional negativity, and shut it. I know MANY current Cadets that did not sleep well last night because of the terrible emotional roller coaster that alumni have stirred, and your additional comments that are meant to be only spiteful are simply damaging to the activity and to the members. I suggest you refrain from any more useless chatter in this serious forum. Trolls like you should go back to the cave from which you crawled out of.

Selfish, selfish, selfish.

I know, you're probably right,.. this is all my fault ( or others on DCP ) That said, I hope what I said doesn't keep The Cadets marchers up at night in the future. I hope the sleeplessness you believed I caused was just a momentary loss of sleep, and that they're able to rebound and sleep better from here on in.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

FIXED

Replace the word "red" and "white" to "maroon" and "cream" and we're talking about a different story... this is like a poor game of telephone...

What's Telephone?