Cadets Uniform

Yes, you are correct, they did announce that. But that was then.

And this is now.

It sounds like changing their " unchanging" uniform for this year is really quite publically divisive among the The Cadets alums.

Not exactly what The Cadets... or the Drum Corps activity itself... needs right now, imo.

Brasso, Brasso, Brasso... what no one needs are impartial people fanning the flames. Stop blowing it out of proportion.

• Like 1

to me, not as much, but to alumni and diehard fans...it could mean a lot. If there has been pretty much one constant in Cadets history, it's been the uniform. I know people who cried the day they finally got one. I've seen people go running to members they knew so they could touch it.

Do you remember when BD went to gray? blasphemy!!! Phantom with the tan and khaki? When Spirit first stopped wearing the old baby blue? Drum corps used to be a lot about tradition, and a huge part of that tradition was the uniform, the look. In an era when more and more traditions are shot to hell, the Cadets, for all of the other complaints against them, were that one corps you could say "yeah, they respect their roots"

I don't see how that statement can't be said even today. The Cadets have always respected their roots. Does anyone honestly doubt the corps doesn't respect their history and tradition because someone has now said they have "changed" the uniform for 2011?

As recently as 2009 they celebrated their 75th anniversary with a show that every Alumni could have proud of. Playing WEST SIDE STORY a cadet classic! And everything about that show was in tribute to its 75 years of history. ...2010? They did a show all about their uniform!! They literally said "hey, our uniform looks like toy soldiers... let's do a show about OUR uniform!! The drill imagery in the ballad reflected the eagle on their shako! They did classic old school drill moves. For goodness sake... as recently as 2 years ago the cadets were ALL about the Uniform and TRadition...

And now people are saying that the cadets don't care about their history and tradition because of a "change" to the uniform just for this season alone? I don't buy it... not a single bit.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

So yeah, I can see people being cheesed off. A lot. I know two alumni who cursed for an hour tonight when I told them. One said, and I quote ($1 to Michael Cole) "hell, change the name from Cadets, he's changed everything ####### else"

With all due respect to those alumni that "cursed for an hour"... I think they are forgetting the cadets two latest offerings... Changed everything? really? All I saw from the cadets the passed two years was tradition up the wazoo.

no the Spankees changing the uniform doesn't influence how they play. But that uniform is part of their image, their legacy. That uniform look makes them MILLIONS a year.

While I'm no uniform snob, I'll say this: I've seen hundreds of shows that maybe could have had a uniform especially for it...but what holds it near and dear to my heart, and many others is that they did it wearing the uniform we all know and love. I can't picture 87 Cadets in something else, 95 Madison in something else. in an activity floundering for an image, one of it's most endearing images was just taken away,

Why be melodramatic? taken away? I never heard anyone talking about "replacing" the uniform forever. We don't know how much it will look similar to the original this season.. and we should always be reminded that IS for only ONE season.

Regardless of how good they are, that uniform meant a hell of a lot to a lot of people.

Of course it means a lot to a lot of people. It means a whole lot to George too and the Cadets organization. They have proven how much it means... Do people think that a decision to change anything on the uniform is an easy one to make? It was probably a difficult decision and risk, however one that was probably made for the grander scheme of their 2011 program to entertain the audience in a new way. Isn't that what the cadets are known for? Tradition & Innovation?

• Like 4

With all due respect to those alumni that "cursed for an hour"... I think they are forgetting the cadets two latest offerings... Changed everything? really? All I saw from the cadets the passed two years was tradition up the wazoo.

Why be melodramatic? taken away? I never heard anyone talking about "replacing" the uniform forever. We don't know how much it will look similar to the original this season.. and we should always be reminded that IS for only ONE season.

Of course it means a lot to a lot of people. It means a whole lot to George too and the Cadets organization. They have proven how much it means... Do people think that a decision to change anything on the uniform is an easy one to make? It was probably a difficult decision and risk, however one that was probably made for the grander scheme of their 2011 program to entertain the audience in a new way. Isn't that what the cadets are known for? Tradition & Innovation?

Tradition and innovation is SCV.

imo :)

• Like 2

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, cause they're changin everybody out here.

• Like 5

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, cause they're changin everybody out here.

We got an innovator here in GARFIELD, NEW JERSEY. He be comin in your windows and snatchin your old uniforms up!

• Like 4

Really? THIS is not what the Cadets, or the activity needs right now? Not like high gas prices?

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion ESPECIALLY given the fact no one has seen what the "changed" uniform will even look like.

I understand these are the finalists. Colors and logos will be adjusted to be more Cadets specific.

queen-elizabeth-in-a-mcdonalds-uniform.jpg6113-01-Blue-Wacky-Wiggler-Costume-large.jpgweird_sky_outfit.t_250.jpg2052916996_89f356978e.jpgswiss.jpgcampos1.jpg

• Like 3

for the same reason the Caballeros in 93 received holy hell for changing from their traditional uniforms.

and why the Yankees haven't changed since...um....ever?

I can see why alumni are ###### off. I'm not sure I care either way, but I know the hell my corps caught when we were supposed to be the corps in black and blue and we were in blue and white.

Now, if this hits them in the donation fund hard, lesson learned.

As far as the Cabs..It was a bold move and many in the judging community in 93 as well as the :\"Younger Cabs" were all for the change and of course the older traditionalists hated it. Rumor has it a big change after this coming year is upon them again..Guess we will see.

personally I like cadets uniform and it would be weird not seeing that uniform But who am I to tell them it isnt a good move...Lets see

Really? As an alumnus (as of this year), I can't believe how negative this is getting. I don't know what you folks consider "tradition", but I have learned a lot more about life and about myself from being a Cadet, and I wouldn't give up that experience for anything in the world. From sweating all summer in maroon and gold, I have learned that part of life is trying new things and taking a step outside of your comfort zone; if it doesn't work then you get right back up and try something else.

I understand that drum corps had a different persona in its earlier days. I truly do. And if I were in your shoes I would also be a bit sketchy of the new uniform changes.(I wore the uniform with more pride than you can imagine.) But I'd invite any of you who think the Cadets have lost their "tradition" to sing Holy Name with the corps before a show, follow them to the stadium entrance before going on the field, and think back on your own time in the corps. Their eyes won't be wandering around. They won't be talking. They won't be goofing off, regardless of what clothing is on their backs. Being a Cadet is more than just being in a uniform. At least for members nowadays, it means much, much MORE than just being in the uniform. On and off the field, myself and the rest of the members work(ed) to bring only a good image to the corps and respect the past 76 years of Cadets who had come before us.

I have never played a G bugle. I was never got scored on 'ticks'. I never marched a timpani. So I'm not going to claim to know what your standards were "back in the day", because I never will. But it would make you cry if you even had an idea of how highly regarded the Cadets alumni are by the current members. We may not have been a clone of the 1934 corps, but we are all honored to be in the family.

Let's show some support for the activity. With all the nonsense in the world today, appreciate the great things that us young folks take the initiative to do every summer.

FHNSAB

Bryan

Cadets Baritone 2009-2010

Well said

FHNSAB