Cadets Uniform

I think that they should keep them. I find it funny that (currently) the Cadets perform with progressive ideas, while performing progressively in traditional uniforms. It adds a "ying-yang" effect to it.

• Like 1

Really? As an alumnus (as of this year), I can't believe how negative this is getting. I don't know what you folks consider "tradition", but I have learned a lot more about life and about myself from being a Cadet, and I wouldn't give up that experience for anything in the world. From sweating all summer in maroon and gold, I have learned that part of life is trying new things and taking a step outside of your comfort zone; if it doesn't work then you get right back up and try something else.

I understand that drum corps had a different persona in its earlier days. I truly do. And if I were in your shoes I would also be a bit sketchy of the new uniform changes.(I wore the uniform with more pride than you can imagine.) But I'd invite any of you who think the Cadets have lost their "tradition" to sing Holy Name with the corps before a show, follow them to the stadium entrance before going on the field, and think back on your own time in the corps. Their eyes won't be wandering around. They won't be talking. They won't be goofing off, regardless of what clothing is on their backs. Being a Cadet is more than just being in a uniform. At least for members nowadays, it means much, much MORE than just being in the uniform. On and off the field, myself and the rest of the members work(ed) to bring only a good image to the corps and respect the past 76 years of Cadets who had come before us.

I have never played a G bugle. I was never scored on 'ticks'. I never marched a timpani. So I'm not going to claim to know what your standards were "back in the day", because I never will. But it would make you cry if you even had an idea of how highly regarded the Cadets alumni are by the current members. We may not have been a clone of the 1934 corps, but we are all honored to be in the family.

Let's show some support for the activity. With all the nonsense in the world today, appreciate the great things that us young folks take the initiative to do every summer.

FHNSAB

Bryan

Cadets Baritone 2009-2010

Nicely stated!

I think that they should keep them. I find it funny that (currently) the Cadets perform with progressive ideas, while performing progressively in traditional uniforms. It adds a "ying-yang" effect to it.

I guess I'm going to have to keep clarifying? They are still keeping the traditional uniform. It appears that they are only planning to make modifications this year and this year only for the show design they have planned for 2011.

• Like 2

It appears that they are only planning to make modifications this year and this year only

Where have we all heard this refrain before in DCI :

" well, we're just trying it out. It's only temporary,.. see how it goes,.. for just this year ".

uhha.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

That they might carry a formal uni, and change costumes annually. Increased overhead and expense ... to be able to appeal to sponsors.

The Cadets don't pay for their uniforms. They have a sponsor who gives the Cadets what they need uniform wise and in return they get to advertise to the largest marching band circuit in the United States (USSBA).

I guess I'm going to have to keep clarifying? They are still keeping the traditional uniform. It appears that they are only planning to make modifications this year and this year only for the show design they have planned for 2011.

You don't have to keep clarifying it. I mean if they change, change or temporarily, or don't change it at all, that's my opinion.

Really? As an alumnus (as of this year), I can't believe how negative this is getting. I don't know what you folks consider "tradition", but I have learned a lot more about life and about myself from being a Cadet, and I wouldn't give up that experience for anything in the world. From sweating all summer in maroon and gold, I have learned that part of life is trying new things and taking a step outside of your comfort zone; if it doesn't work then you get right back up and try something else.

I understand that drum corps had a different persona in its earlier days. I truly do. And if I were in your shoes I would also be a bit sketchy of the new uniform changes.(I wore the uniform with more pride than you can imagine.) But I'd invite any of you who think the Cadets have lost their "tradition" to sing Holy Name with the corps before a show, follow them to the stadium entrance before going on the field, and think back on your own time in the corps. Their eyes won't be wandering around. They won't be talking. They won't be goofing off, regardless of what clothing is on their backs. Being a Cadet is more than just being in a uniform. At least for members nowadays, it means much, much MORE than just being in the uniform. On and off the field, myself and the rest of the members work(ed) to bring only a good image to the corps and respect the past 76 years of Cadets who had come before us.

I have never played a G bugle. I was never scored on 'ticks'. I never marched a timpani. So I'm not going to claim to know what your standards were "back in the day", because I never will. But it would make you cry if you even had an idea of how highly regarded the Cadets alumni are by the current members. We may not have been a clone of the 1934 corps, but we are all honored to be in the family.

Let's show some support for the activity. With all the nonsense in the world today, appreciate the great things that us young folks take the initiative to do every summer.

FHNSAB

Bryan

Cadets Baritone 2009-2010

Thanks Bryan.

I do want to admit I was skeptical when I heard about the considered uniform change for this year (when I heard from my Cadets friends), but the simple truth is this:

The Cadets will always be The Cadets.

And besides, what would happen if the uniforms got burned all of a sudden and they had nothing to wear? What if Carolina Crown lend Cadets their old uniforms to wear during shows? It really doesn't matter.....it doesn't mean The Cadets are gone forever. I also believe you define The Cadets not just by the uniform and the types of shows produced, but by the people themselves. In other words, what lessons have we learned as a Cadet that will last for a lifetime?

FHNSAB....

Edited by bccadet09
  • Like 1

FHNSAB....

is that a cadets thing like SUTA is to The Regiment or SPLOOIE is to Cavies?

or is it an urbanism like roflmaooluismfp? (google it if you don't know it).

For Holy Name Shall Always Be

but the simple truth is this:

The Cadets will always be The Cadets.

FHNSAB....

So... things will change.

But things won't change due to the changes.

It'll always be the same ( to some Cadets alums ), but the changes will make it all different to other Cadets alums. So in this sense, even with all the changes, nothing will change with some Cadets alums, while with other Cadets alums, the changes will change everything. Nonetheless, despite all the changes, nothing will have changed, because... " the Cadets will always be the Cadets ".

Did I summarize this about right ? ... or not ?

Edited by BRASSO