Cadets Uniform

I'll predict The Cadets will go with costumes, and then at the end of the show, they do a uni change from Costumes to their Cadets uniforms, and the crowd goes nuts when they do this at the end.

Sorta like " blashemy"... then redemption where we recognize we've gone off the track... and ultimate " forgiveness in the end.

Kind of like their mid-season changes in the show last year?

If the push-back is big enough...

To me that West Point uniform IS an important part of the tradition of The Cadets.

It has always been a cornerstone of The Cadet brand.

Maybe the fierce emotional connection to that uniform has been lost over the years with change after change being more acceptable?

It DOES make a difference what uniform is worn.

Well... it used to.

I agree.

IMO, the two most iconic uniforms in drum corps are those of the Cadets and DCA's Hawthorne Caballeros. Both those unis represent much more than just a uniform.

• Like 3

True, but The Cadets were still unmistakeably and identifiably" The Cadets" with their slighly modified " Cadet- style " uniform they used in 2005.

2011 " The Cadets " ?

Will they still look like " The Cadets " without a Cadet style uniform, instead reportedly going with non Cadet Style costumes here in 2011 ? Time will tell. But it's fair to say that some Cadets alums think not.

Okay, really BRASSO, give it a rest. Everything you have said on this forum is to fuel a fire and continue to insult the Cadets as if they are Sub-Drum Corps. Stop calling it a freaking costume, I know for a FACT that the Cadets are not going with a "costume" this year. If you are so freaking insistent on stirring up trouble, go to party city, buy yourself a little army "costume" and send the picture to everybody on DCP. It is bad enough that alumni are having public fights about their opinions on the uniform because it hurts the MEMBERS the most. NONE of it is their fault, so why don't you take your additional negativity, and shut it. I know MANY current Cadets that did not sleep well last night because of the terrible emotional roller coaster that alumni have stirred, and your additional comments that are meant to be only spiteful are simply damaging to the activity and to the members. I suggest you refrain from any more useless chatter in this serious forum. Trolls like you should go back to the cave from which you crawled out of.

I hate to jump on the Cadets bandwagon after so many controversial years, but the fact remains that the MEMBERS are the only ones really affected by this negativity. I understand the viewpoint of the alumni 100%, but posting in on a public forum like a bunch of high schools girls telling rumors about their more successful friend is NOT the way to handle the situation. If you really care about the tradition and your drum corps, send your messages to George Hopkins himself, and make your case. Every negative message is destructive to DCI, the Cadets, the members of the Cadets, and future members.

Selfish, selfish, selfish.

• Like 7

True, but The Cadets were still unmistakeably and identifiably" The Cadets" with their slighly modified " Cadet- style " uniform they used in 2005.

2011 " The Cadets " ?

Will they still look like " The Cadets " without a Cadet style uniform, instead reportedly going with non Cadet Style costumes here in 2011 ? Time will tell. But it's fair to say that some Cadets alums think not.

It's also fair to say no one, fan or alum, has seen what they will look like.

Okay, really BRASSO, give it a rest. Everything you have said on this forum is to fuel a fire and continue to insult the Cadets as if they are Sub-Drum Corps. Stop calling it a freaking costume, I know for a FACT that the Cadets are not going with a "costume" this year. If you are so freaking insistent on stirring up trouble, go to party city, buy yourself a little army "costume" and send the picture to everybody on DCP. It is bad enough that alumni are having public fights about their opinions on the uniform because it hurts the MEMBERS the most. NONE of it is their fault, so why don't you take your additional negativity, and shut it. I know MANY current Cadets that did not sleep well last night because of the terrible emotional roller coaster that alumni have stirred, and your additional comments that are meant to be only spiteful are simply damaging to the activity and to the members. I suggest you refrain from any more useless chatter in this serious forum. Trolls like you should go back to the cave from which you crawled out of.

I hate to jump on the Cadets bandwagon after so many controversial years, but the fact remains that the MEMBERS are the only ones really affected by this negativity. I understand the viewpoint of the alumni 100%, but posting in on a public forum like a bunch of high schools girls telling rumors about their more successful friend is NOT the way to handle the situation. If you really care about the tradition and your drum corps, send your messages to George Hopkins himself, and make your case. Every negative message is destructive to DCI, the Cadets, the members of the Cadets, and future members.

Selfish, selfish, selfish.

Every single piece of attire worn by corps today is costuming. The level of military influence varies from corps to corps but corps are already wearing costumes.

• Like 2

It's also fair to say no one, fan or alum, has seen what they will look like.

According to a Garfield Cadets alumnus: "In order to compliment this year's Angels in the Architecture 'concept', the Cadets will have 1/2 the corps in RED uniforms/costumes and the other 1/2 in WHITE uniforms/costumes......."

I think it is a sad mistake. The corps might as well get rid of the corps name and logo and call themselves something like, "Allentown Keystone Sound".

• Like 2

According to a Garfield Cadets alumnus: "In order to compliment this year's Angels in the Architecture 'concept', the Cadets will have 1/2 the corps in RED uniforms/costumes and the other 1/2 in WHITE uniforms/costumes......."

I think it is a sad mistake. The corps might as well get rid of the corps name and logo and call themselves something like, "Allentown Keystone Sound".

Was there this much hostility when they modified the uniform to fit their 2005 show? And if there was, I think it's a mistake. It fit their show and didn't detract too much from the traditional uniform. None of us have seen what the uniform looks like yet. I think we're being a bit foolish here coming on here complaining (and fueling the fire of people who already LOVE to bash the Cadets as it is). Let's not make the current members of the corps ashamed of us.

is that a cadets thing like SUTA is to The Regiment or SPLOOIE is to Cavies?

or is it an urbanism like roflmaooluismfp? (google it if you don't know it).

For Holy Name Shall Always Be

I don't see how that statement can't be said even today. The Cadets have always respected their roots. Does anyone honestly doubt the corps doesn't respect their history and tradition because someone has now said they have "changed" the uniform for 2011?

As recently as 2009 they celebrated their 75th anniversary with a show that every Alumni could have proud of. Playing WEST SIDE STORY a cadet classic! And everything about that show was in tribute to its 75 years of history. ...2010? They did a show all about their uniform!! They literally said "hey, our uniform looks like toy soldiers... let's do a show about OUR uniform!! The drill imagery in the ballad reflected the eagle on their shako! They did classic old school drill moves. For goodness sake... as recently as 2 years ago the cadets were ALL about the Uniform and TRadition...

And now people are saying that the cadets don't care about their history and tradition because of a "change" to the uniform just for this season alone? I don't buy it... not a single bit.

I agree, just because they are making some "changes" to the uniform? The Cadets will always have a connection with their history and tradition. Plus,being a Cadet has more to do with than some uniform. People are Cadets on the inside. In their souls, no matter what they are wearing out on the field. They could be wearing golf shirts, shorts, and long socks, but they are still Cadets.

Besides, no one knows what changes are! My guess is probably similar to the changes in 2005.

• Like 1

If they're still Cadet style uniforms, I think this could work out fine. Look at Sky Ryders 1987 as an example of contrasting colors by corps members in a production. Yes, examples are around.

Now, I would imagine that the Cadets would simply use the same style uniform that they have now, and just change the colors to what was described above.

You know, I have to see the Cavaliers change their uniform from an iconic, classy look to an uglier version; what's the harm in the above for 1 season? satisfied.gif

• Like 1