Cadets Uniform

The quote wasn't directed on you. I know you are on the defensive right now so no big deal. I'm not blaming you for anything.

fair enough, charlie1223.

No hostility is well deserved.

I beg to differ Charles. Hop is disrespecting his alumni because many of them don't agree with his vision. He reaps what he sows and all that...

• Like 2

From what I hear complaining about anything is over-rated because there are billions and billions of people who are dead right now, buried in the ground. Could you imagine how happy those people would be just to be alive? And we are on DCP complaing about uniforms, and gas prices, and electronics, and 1980's drum corps, and bugles, and out favorite shows... My goodness, we are not grateful at all... after all we could be DEAD just like those people in the ground!!!! Just putting things in perspective... :rolleyes:

furthermore, as far as we know, dead people don't post on DCP either. ( although I know, it IS hard to tell if the poster is breathing sometimes. )

Edited by BRASSO

Certainly not... but the question really becomes... at this point what are those few alumni actually "not" in support of? ...pics? descriptions?... oh wait.. the word "change" that's right.

Uniforms in the context of unitards? It would be more than a few not in support.

West Point uniforms in the contrasting maroon and cream? Much MUch MUCH more palatable. For me anyway.

Why are some of you fighting so hard for change to a Corps that you have zero connection to?

Interesting point of view... I know George has always cared about tradition. He understands it AND he cares about it.

hmmmn... lets also not go overboard in the OTHER direction now where we are now lightening candles for St. George, ya know ?

I mean, is IS kind of hard to say he's " always cared about tradition and cares about it, and blah blah blah, when this is the same guy that stood up last year in a gathering of Corps Directors and gave a Powerpoint Presenation that, among other things, he recommends that DCI take his recommendation seriously to kill off about 2 dozen Drum Corps ( Open Class ). It's real hard to say with a straight face that such a guy with such a " non traditional " recommendation such as this " cares about Drum Corps tradition".

It just doesn't pass the smell test, charlie1223.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'd imagine some on The Cadets staff have seen it... and the manufacturer, maybe a handful of others too, perhaps.

No one posting/freaking out about it.

But thanks for taking it so literally.

hmmmn... lets also not go overboard in the OTHER direction now where we are now lightening candles for St. George, ya know ?

I mean, is IS kind of hard to say he's " always cared about tradition and cares about it, and blah blah blah, when this is the same guy that stood up last year in a gathering of Corps Directors and gave a Powerpoint Presenation that, among other things, he recommends that DCI take his recommendation seriously to kill off about 2 dozen Drum Corps ( Open Class ). It's real hard to say with a straight face that such a guy with such a " non traditional " recommendation such as this " cares about Drum Corps tradition".

It just doesn't pass the smell test, charlie1223.

Well then I guess both of us shouldn't think we have the ability to peer into another persons mind and think we know what he cares about.

Well then I guess both of us shouldn't think we have the ability to peer into another persons mind and think we know what he cares about.

True enough, charlie1223.

The funny part of it is I bet the Cadets would have probably changed uniforms decades ago if they could have afforded it, instead of McGyvering (safety pins, staples, superglue, etc.) the old WOOL uniforms they had for ages.

The fact they couldn't afford to replace them for so long probably greater solidified a lack of change as "tradition", rather than a practical necessity.

I suppose these same folk wish George was still rocking that handsome mustache he had going in the 80's... for the sake of tradition? :smile:

Anyway, it is a uniform... which, in general, seem a bit awkward in the context of current drum corps. The speed, type and planes of movement that performers are currently executing feels a bit stifled and .... well... square given the limitations of the uniform and shako.

Add to that you are forcing some static, external concept into a creative program (imagine going to a broadway production and 2/3 of the cast are all wearing matching three piece suits and mexican sombreros - regardless of the production - while 1/3 are wearing costumes actually relevant to the program). It is just kind of weird.

Winterguard realized this ages decades ago and made the change. Just like drum corps finally caught up to marching bands of the 80's by adding electronics, we can only hope that drum corps will catch up to early 80's winterguard sometime soon.

So, the comment in bold was from a staff member who was up all night because he was sick, as in ill....suffering from a viral infection. Something that was patently obvious from the rest of the status that was posted....not just the excerpt reported.

Including that comment in the mix doesn't give me great confidence in the reliability of what you're reporting.

To the 2011 Cadets

Y'all just keep on with what you're doing. There are alumni who were A) surprised by this and B) have concerns about changing the uniform. I have yet to hear from an alumnus who had concerns about the members of the Cadets this year being Cadets. Of course you are our family, you're the newest in the line of Cadets...this conversation though has nothing to do with you, as y'all didn't have anything to do with changing the uniform.

As for how I feel about this whole drama.....I'll resist my first emotional reaction and wait to see the uniform and show before deciding.

Really? REALLY?

"well... bring on all the people who hate the uniform change"

"I really wish that alumni would realize how hurtful their comments are to the current members of the Cadets. We love the alumni and the support that they have always shown because we have and always will be Cadets. "

"I hope we can have SOME Cadet Alumni support us this year."

"I hope these folks didn't forget what being a Cadet is about."

"ya, I lost sleep last night over some posts I read from alumni... that really bothers me."

"Yea, some of the posts really bothered me too. We are all Cadets in our hearts, no matter what we are wearing."

"Rough night...up sick all night"

"I am at a complete loss of words right now..."

All different current Cadets directly from their current facebook statuses. The more overwhelming thing is the upwards of 20 comments posted on each from each other trying to make it seem okay, and trying to convince each other that the season isn't ruined, IN MARCH. Tell me again they are not dwelling or feeling the pain. Seriously

Edited by CuriousMe
  • Like 2