Cadets Uniform

Add to that you are forcing some static, external concept into a creative program (imagine going to a broadway production and 2/3 of the cast are all wearing matching three piece suits and mexican sombreros - regardless of the production - while 1/3 are wearing costumes actually relevant to the program). It is just kind of weird.

I know what you mean here regarding the disconnect. It reminded me of the time the Troopers abandoned their military roots style of show and one year played " Aquarius" ( Hair ) " from the Music band " The 5th Dimension". All I could think of was.. " oh boy, the mounted Horse Cavalry meet and corner the Hippies.. the Hippies are toast. " It was great music, enjoyed the show, but it was a total disconnect between the ethos and vibe of the Corps, uniforms worn,... and the music played, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Except...

The Cadets have gotten new uniforms multiple times over the years....they have to, how long do you think wool that's drenched in sweat every night lasts?

If I remember correctly, even back when dinosaurs roamed the earth back in the 80's, they got new jackets in '85 and we got new pants in '86.

They just have always gotten new uniforms, that looked like the old ones.

Additionally, while the uniform style doesn't seem to have hindered generations of Cadets from moving fast, the new uniforms (worn last year) are designed to be moved in. One example of this is that the cummerbund and buckles are actually designed with snaps and such on the uniform to stay in place.

The funny part of it is I bet the Cadets would have probably changed uniforms decades ago if they could have afforded it, instead of McGyvering (safety pins, staples, superglue, etc.) the old WOOL uniforms they had for ages.

The fact they couldn't afford to replace them for so long probably greater solidified a lack of change as "tradition", rather than a practical necessity.

I suppose these same folk wish George was still rocking that handsome mustache he had going in the 80's... for the sake of tradition? :smile:

Anyway, it is a uniform... which, in general, seem a bit awkward in the context of current drum corps. The speed, type and planes of movement that performers are currently executing feels a bit stifled and .... well... square given the limitations of the uniform and shako.

Add to that you are forcing some static, external concept into a creative program (imagine going to a broadway production and 2/3 of the cast are all wearing matching three piece suits and mexican sombreros - regardless of the production - while 1/3 are wearing costumes actually relevant to the program). It is just kind of weird.

Winterguard realized this ages decades ago and made the change. Just like drum corps finally caught up to marching bands of the 80's by adding electronics, we can only hope that drum corps will catch up to early 80's winterguard sometime soon.

It's a game where you pass along one message from person to another to another to another and by the last person you see how much that message has changed... The thing is you can only repeat the message ONCE to the next person.

Ohhhhh, that sounds a lot like what happens in the Navy lol..

• Like 1

To the 2011 Cadets

Y'all just keep on with what you're doing. There are alumni who were A) surprised by this and B) have concerns about changing the uniform. I have yet to hear from an alumnus who had concerns about the members of the Cadets this year being Cadets. Of course you are our family, you're the newest in the line of Cadets...this conversation though has nothing to do with you, as y'all didn't have anything to do with changing the uniform.

I wish I would have said this.

+1

Well done!

• Like 1

I beg to differ Charles. Hop is disrespecting his alumni because many of them don't agree with his vision. He reaps what he sows and all that...

That's only the view of SOME alumni. Not all of us feel that way. Some of us choose to wait to see what it will look like before proclaiming the end of the world. I understand some of the others' concerns, but coming on here #####ing about something that hasn't been seen yet isn't helping their cause.

• Like 3

dear cadets --

hey guys! we're here. we're watching. we can't wait to see the show!

we got a lot of the same strange vitriolic reaction from alumni when we (laid on the ground for the ballad/went with reversed unis/marched a show with no shakos/had flowers on our backs/shortened the drop sash/lengthened the plumes/added gauntlets/removed gauntlets/put a female dm in a skirt/went to six buttons/eliminated pins/brought pins back/did shows in corps jackets and jeans/started walking to warmup in half uniform/switched from bucks to dinkles/switched buckles for mirrors/went out in shorts and polo shirts).

march and play like cadets -- more importantly, live your lives like cadets -- and what you wear means very little.

sincerely,

98.6% of cadet alumni

More like 20 %

• Like 2

I know what you mean here regarding the disconnect. It reminds me of the time the Troopers abandoned their military-roots style of show and one year played "Aquarius (Hair)" from the music band "The 5th Dimension". All I could think of was, "Oh boy, the mounted horse cavalry meet and corner the hippies... the hippies are toast." It was great music, enjoyed the show, but it was a total disconnect between the ethos and vibe of the Corps and the music played, imo.

Just a quick note: while The 5th Dimension did have a number one hit early in 1969 with a medley of "Aquarius" and "Let the Sunshine In" --which success may have inspired the Troopers to play both songs in 1969, 1970, and 1979-- that band didn't create those songs, which were actually the opening and closing numbers from the 1967 musical Hair (full title: Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical). Covers of the title song, "Hair" and two more songs from the musical, "Good Morning Starshine" and "Easy to Be Hard", also reached the top ten in versions by The Cowsills, Oliver, and Three Dog Night, respectively. According to corpsreps, "Aquarius" has been played more than 30 times by drum corps.

But mostly I'm amused that Hair should come up in a discussion of uniforms, because the musical is remembered for, among other things, its nude scene!

It's a game where you pass along one message from person to another to another to another and by the last person you see how much that message has changed... The thing is you can only repeat the message ONCE to the next person.

oh, sorta like how Congress passes the bills into law ?

So, the comment in bold was from a staff member who was up all night because he was sick, as in ill....suffering from a viral infection. Something that was patently obvious from the rest of the status that was posted....not just the excerpt reported.

Including that comment in the mix doesn't give me great confidence in the reliability of what you're reporting.

To the 2011 Cadets

Y'all just keep on with what you're doing. There are alumni who were A) surprised by this and B) have concerns about changing the uniform. I have yet to hear from an alumnus who had concerns about the members of the Cadets this year being Cadets. Of course you are our family, you're the newest in the line of Cadets...this conversation though has nothing to do with you, as y'all didn't have anything to do with changing the uniform.

As for how I feel about this whole drama.....I'll resist my first emotional reaction and wait to see the uniform and show before deciding.

My apologies. All of these quotes were copied from facebook both from people's statuses, and repetitions of statuses on other people's statuses (wait, what??). After a second look, that actually did come from Justin, the assistant corps director. I individually researched the validity of the other statuses and found that they were all from current marching members that are very concerned with the current situation. Sorry for any confusion!

• Like 1

This thread is straight-up CO-ME-DY! How many threads like this were started when Phantom changed the colors of their uniforms sooooooooo many times? And to take quotes off facebook to post them on here just to fuel the flames isn't helping at all. We haven't even seen the uniforms yet and the end of the world is here. :rolleyes:

It's DCP at it's finest alright :-)

• Like 1