Cadets Uniform

I do not get your posts at all... what the heck?

It's not all that complicated really. The point is, the uniform and it's colors as distinctive markings of a Corps are passe. It doesn't make the Corps for it's members, and vice versa. For example, If the Blue Devils this season came out wearing large floppy red sombreros and red and black bell bottoms,etc they're still the Blue Devils. As long as David Gibbs is still in charge, Wayne Downey does the brass, etc.. it's still the Blue Devils. If the Cadets come out in orange jumpsuits, no headgear, but bandanas this year etc, as long as George Hopkins is still running things, and they still step off with their right foot, etc they are still The Cadets. If the Troopers come out this year in red baseball caps for heargear and pajamas or hawaiian shirts and red sneakers, it doesn't matter. They are still the Troopers from Caspar, Wyoming.

Edited by BRASSO

to many alumni, some traditions are sacred. however for newer players to the game, they have no tradition so anything goes.

so the Cadets, like Michigan, Notre Dame, the Yankees, stick with the tried and true. hell, you want a look that hasn't changed, look at Penn State. JoePa still won't put names on the back of the jerseys, and it won't change until he dies or retires. If it does change, watch alumni #####.

however Oregon, who has pretty much sucked to mediocre for decades til recently, have 800000000 variations of their uniform. Hell, they have more combos than garanimals did in their heyday. And no one cares up there, because now it's part of a successful image.

Imagine ol Hank Steinbrenner saying "I think it's time to change the Yankees look". I mean my God, NYC will implode.

Okay... but don't you think that that kind of change in the Yankee's uniform is different and incomparable in a drum corps case? A uniform is about tradition, yes, but in drum corps its also about aesthetics no? Yankee's changing their uniform doesn't influence the way they play so no need to bother changing it... in drum corps, "changing" the uniform can effect the aesthetic qualities of the performance, thus the judged qualities of a performance. Plus I do believe that the change we're talking about here is only for this season's show, not a complete revamp of the cadets uniform for the future, which I think should put things in a different perspective.

It's not all that complicated really. The point is, the uniform and it's colors as distinctive markings of a Corps are passe. It doesn't make the Corps for it's members, and vice versa. For example, If the Blue Devils this season came out wearing large floppy red sombreros and red and black bell bottoms,etc they're still the Blue Devils. As long as David Gibbs is still in charge, Wayne Downey does the brass, etc.. it's still the Blue Devils. If the Cadets come out in orange jumpsuits, no headgear, but bandanas this year etc, as long as George Hopkins is still running things, and they still step off with their right foot, etc they are still The Cadets. If the Troopers come out this year in red baseball caps for heargear and pajamas or hawaiian shirts and red sneakers, it doesn't matter. They are still the Troopers from Caspar, Wyoming.

Silly, but I agree.

Like I said above, I think not only The Cadets uniform and colors are outdated, but so arn't the NY Yankees pinstripes. While we're at it, we should change the Michigan Wolverine's football helmut, Texas Longhorn helmuts, Montreal Canadians uniforms, Indiana Hoosiers need more blue in their uniforms, and the LA Lakers need to change to red for more color. The Green Bay Packers uniform seems outdated too. Green and Yellow don't blend that well. I'd like them to adopt the Pittsburgh Steelers colors of yellow and black. The Georgetwon Hoyas and the Oakland Raiders need to change the silver and black colors and go with someting a little more softer... like peach or pink.

That said, if the Oregon Ducks or the Boise State Broncos want to keep their uniforms and field colors, then it really is their choice. But I might consider doing something else well before the NY Yankees drop their pinstripes, and the Boston Celtics don the color orange instead of green.

YOU LEAVE MY FIELD OUT OF THIS!!

:tongue::w00t:

Now, if this hits them in the donation fund hard, lesson learned.

I'm not an alum, so I can't speak from their point of view, but... While I get the tradition and understand the respect for the uniform, denying funds because it's changed just seems a touch dramatic to me.

If all that ties alumni together is the colors of the uniform you wore, then by all means, cut off your funds to that organization, as anything and everything (or rather, the ONLY thing) you've ever had in common is no more.

But... somehow, I doubt that's the case.

... I would hope it's not anyway.

• Like 1

I have a feeling it won't be as dramatic as people are making it out to be. But I'm saving any further comment until after I see what it looks like.

• Like 2

It may be passe, but many alumni marched Cadets for many things in addition to marching in that uniform and any people want to march Cadets for many things including that uniform. People who've never marched Cadets may not see the significance of that uniform, but for those of us who have worn it, it means a lot. And the point that they MAY be changing the uniform gives many people something else to complain about so it may not be as passe to some others as it may be to you.

Ha. That Yankee uniform is one of the great myths of sports. The pinstripe on white/grey may have stayed the same, but that's about it (except for the stupid choice not to add player names). The cut and style has evolved just as as other uniforms have. Ruth, Mantle and Jeter all wore Yankee uniforms that evolved to conform with the contemporary sensibility.

And even if they didn't, so what? It doesn't matter if the emperor has clothes when he has 27 championships (or whatever enviable number of trophies in the Yankee clubhouse). It's not the clothes that count. No uniform tradition in the world could have rescued the Mets any of the past three years. It's about winners, not wardrobes.

Cadets should wear what works. And next year, if returning to the traditional cadet style works, they should do that.

HH

• Like 2

It may be passe, but many alumni marched Cadets for many things in addition to marching in that uniform and any people want to march Cadets for many things including that uniform. People who've never marched Cadets may not see the significance of that uniform, but for those of us who have worn it, it means a lot. And the point that they MAY be changing the uniform gives many people something else to complain about so it may not be as passe to some others as it may be to you.

Fair enough. But surely you wouldn't suggest that alums of BD or SCV or Crown or Star or countless other corps don't feel profound connections to their corps even though those corps tried several uniform varities? Could it be the difference with Cadets is the alums haven't been challenged in this fashion? And maybe once challenged, they'll rise to the occassion and realize their affection for the corps is more than skin deep?

HH

• Like 3

Fair enough. But surely you wouldn't suggest that alums of BD or SCV or Crown or Star or countless other corps don't feel profound connections to their corps even though those corps tried several uniform varities? Could it be the difference with Cadets is the alums haven't been challenged in this fashion? And maybe once challenged, they'll rise to the occassion and realize their affection for the corps is more than skin deep?

HH

I'm not suggesting anything. I am only saying that MANY alumni have a special connection with that uniform because MANY alumni have worn THAT uniform. Corps do what works for their corps. Personally, I haven't heard too much about what's changing in Cadets uniform, but I really don't have too much of a problem with what they have now, and I have a feeling the change won't be that drastic and I'm sure I won't have too much of a problem with it then.

• Like 1