Cadets Uniform

I feel your pain.

On a side note, I hear major league baseball will allow aluminum bats next year.

You have it partially correct. What has been approved by Major League Baseball is that the top finishing 8 teams from 2011 season will use aluminum bats for 2012. ( the remaining 22 MLB teams will compete with the standard wooden bats in 2012. )

• Like 1

don't let it get doomed.

transcend it instead of adding to it.

IMO, the cadets are the best at going WAAAAY outside the box conceptually, and making it work.

sure, sometimes it bombs, but the cadets are at their best when pushing the boundaries of what is "traditionally" considered good. that's true whether we're talking about their dynasty in the early 80s, or the incredible innovation they showed in 2005.

it's mind-blowing to me that alums of the cadets from the early-mid 80s (or who love that time) would so vehemently oppose the cadets' choice to push boundaries. it's where the good stuff is for corps of the calibre of the cadets, imo.

Truer words have never been spoken (or typed, in this case). :smile:

• Like 1

Why call them " uniforms " any more either ? That sounds so passe now. Why not just call them " costumes " worn by the " performers " ? As we evolve, so should the name change too, imo.

Interesting you say this. I've been thinking more and more lately that many corps 'uniforms' now look more like the costumes you'd see in a musical or a show where they were trying to depict the costume designer's idea of what a corps (or band) uniform might look like.

This is particularly true of some of the newer corps, but I also feel that way when I see the Boston Crusaders' latest version of their 'uniform.' In my opinion, they took a perfectly good-looking, sharp, cadet-style uniform and turned it into a theatrical imitation of one. Even something as basic as the plumes some corps now use look strange to me, as compared to those of years past.

I'll admit it, I'm a dinosaur anyway, so I suppose why the older uniform styles appeal to me more.

Interesting you say this. I've been thinking more and more lately that many corps 'uniforms' now look more like the costumes you'd see in a musical or a show where they were trying to depict the costume designer's idea of what a corps (or band) uniform might look like.

This is particularly true of some of the newer corps, but I also feel that way when I see the Boston Crusaders' latest version of their 'uniform.' In my opinion, they took a perfectly good-looking, sharp, cadet-style uniform and turned it into a theatrical imitation of one. Even something as basic as the plumes some corps now use look strange to me, as compared to those of years past.

I'll admit it, I'm a dinosaur anyway, so I suppose that's why the older uniform styles appeal to me more.

Sorry for the double post.

Didn't they just adopt a new logo that emphasizes an element of their "classic, unchanging, timeless" uniform? What a bunch of hypocritical BS. George is reaching new levels of creative bankruptcy.

A Cadets alum

Yes, you are correct, they did announce that. But that was then.

And this is now.

It sounds like changing their " unchanging" uniform for this year is really quite publically divisive among the The Cadets alums.

Not exactly what The Cadets... or the Drum Corps activity itself... needs right now, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, you are correct, they did announce that. But that was then.

And this is now.

It sounds like changing their " unchanging" uniform for this year is really quite publically divisive among the The Cadets alums.

Not exactly what The Cadets... or the Drum Corps activity itself... needs right now, imo.

Really? THIS is not what the Cadets, or the activity needs right now? Not like high gas prices?

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion ESPECIALLY given the fact no one has seen what the "changed" uniform will even look like.

• Like 3

Okay... but don't you think that that kind of change in the Yankee's uniform is different and incomparable in a drum corps case?

to me, not as much, but to alumni and diehard fans...it could mean a lot. If there has been pretty much one constant in Cadets history, it's been the uniform. I know people who cried the day they finally got one. I've seen people go running to members they knew so they could touch it.

Do you remember when BD went to gray? blasphemy!!! Phantom with the tan and khaki? When Spirit first stopped wearing the old baby blue? Drum corps used to be a lot about tradition, and a huge part of that tradition was the uniform, the look. In an era when more and more traditions are shot to hell, the Cadets, for all of the other complaints against them, were that one corps you could say "yeah, they respect their roots"

So yeah, I can see people being cheesed off. A lot. I know two alumni who cursed for an hour tonight when I told them. One said, and I quote ($1 to Michael Cole) "hell, change the name from Cadets, he's changed everything ####### else"

A uniform is about tradition, yes, but in drum corps its also about aesthetics no? Yankee's changing their uniform doesn't influence the way they play so no need to bother changing it... in drum corps, "changing" the uniform can effect the aesthetic qualities of the performance, thus the judged qualities of a performance. Plus I do believe that the change we're talking about here is only for this season's show, not a complete revamp of the cadets uniform for the future, which I think should put things in a different perspective.

no the Spankees changing the uniform doesn't influence how they play. But that uniform is part of their image, their legacy. That uniform look makes them MILLIONS a year.

While I'm no uniform snob, I'll say this: I've seen hundreds of shows that maybe could have had a uniform especially for it...but what holds it near and dear to my heart, and many others is that they did it wearing the uniform we all know and love. I can't picture 87 Cadets in something else, 95 Madison in something else. in an activity floundering for an image, one of it's most endearing images was just taken away, and they have to be fools to not expect backlash. Regardless of how good they are, that uniform meant a hell of a lot to a lot of people.

• Like 3

Going to a winter guard show tomorrow in South Brunswick, N.J. Will look for new unis for all the corps. No need to thank me.

HH

cheer my school's guard on!

• Like 1

You have it partially correct. What has been approved by Major League Baseball is that the top finishing 8 teams from 2011 season will use aluminum bats for 2012. ( the remaining 22 MLB teams will compete with the standard wooden bats in 2012. )

#winning

• Like 1