Friends of DCI

Well, that wasn't really mentioned in the rules proposals as one of the selling points.

well then at least they didn't lie on that one :tongue:

• Like 1

Message to DCI ( apologies to James Taylor, Carole King ):

" When you're down and troubled

and you need some loving care

and nothing, nothing is going right

close your eyes and think of me

and soon I will be there

to brighten up even your darkest night.

You just call out my name

and you know wherever I am

I'll come running to see you again

Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall

all you have to do is call

and I'll be there

You've got a FRIEND

Ain't it good to know

You've got a FRIEND. "

Edited by BRASSO

I haven't seen this mentioned, but IMHO this is an extremely likely reason-after 2007, we were supposed to have our championships IN A DOME...although in '08 it didn't happen, it was pretty late in the game when it was switched. Most "Friends" members probably join between August and October in hopes of getting decent seating for the following year. The appeal of going to an untested, new indoor venue just didn't have the allure for people to part with their hard earned $. I think the flux in the lower tiers and the fact that the higher tiers aren't seeing a decline is a direct reflection on something an earlier poster mentioned...he/she stated they would probably be a member during their child's marching years. That speaks to the lower tiers drawing a more "temporary" membership base, and the higher tiers representing established fans who have supported the activity beyond their family's participation. Dues are now getting to the point that the family that may have been able to support "Friends" now has to bite the bullet just to send their own family on tour for the summer. As for the "customer service" issues mentioned, keep in mind that this is probably pretty far down the list on DCI's to-do list because it would require taking a person away from another task to address these. DCI faces the same issues as any other business in having a finite number of personnel to work with. Although the "Friends" are certainly important, there are certainly more urgent issues that arise, especially during the course of Finals week that determine how their time must be spent. Not saying that's "right", but could be a fact of life.

should we be looking at DCI's customer service as possibly having a negative influence?

I think it's important to differentiate between DCI customer service & Friends of DCI customer service. They are two separate entities.

The service Ive had from Friends of DCI customer service has been exemplary. Last year when I was coming to Indy for the 1st time I had all sorts of dumb questions with regard to ticketing, hotels etc. 90% of my question were answered the same day, the other 10% within 24 hours.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

I haven't seen this mentioned, but IMHO this is an extremely likely reason-after 2007, we were supposed to have our championships IN A DOME...although in '08 it didn't happen, it was pretty late in the game when it was switched.

Using the same logic, would the rise in membership last year suggest DCI fans are softening their opinions of staging finals in a dome?

Could be...could also be it was rumored that the roof would be open for at least part of quarterfinals (is that still on the table for this year, BTW?); or could be that fans realize that it isn't moving anywhere else anytime soon so if they want to go they have little choice. Could be that the moon was full and the stars and planets were in the right alignment...who knows?

Could be...could also be it was rumored that the roof would be open for at least part of quarterfinals (is that still on the table for this year, BTW?); or could be that fans realize that it isn't moving anywhere else anytime soon so if they want to go they have little choice. Could be that the moon was full and the stars and planets were in the right alignment...who knows?

I think part of it for this year mightve been in 09 people didnt realize just how far out some of the seating areas put people from the 50 (or off the field entirely for that matter), especially outside the 'friends' areas. A lot of people were surprised (negatively) by their seat locations and may have joined up with FoDCI to improve that.

Edited by AlexL

• 2 weeks later...

couple of observations ---

1. I think there is a reasonable perspective that audience composition has shifted over past half decade to be more heavily weighted to those affilated with current performers.

2. I think there is a reasonable perspective that many parents/family of current performers have become transitory - once their affiliation with the performer is over, their affiliatiog with DCI and drum corps is over.

3. Items #1 and #2 seem to indicate that DCI's audience is shifting toward the audience profile seen at other scholastic-oriented pagentry events, such as those run by WGO or marching band shows - audiences dominated by friends and family, with little legacy partipant attendence. People show up because they have to, which may indicate that there are product issues with what DCI offers and how it delivers it.

3. A simple count of corps participating shows a delcine of nearly 50% since 2000.

4. Marching bands as a surrogate for corps, with respect to driving a customer base, may be more aspiration than reality.

4. Fewer corps = fewer potential audience members and fewer alumni, factored by declining interest of legacy participants likely equals fewer FODCI, as a trend.

• Like 1

I was a Friends member for a few years back in the early 2000's when the ticket orders for the next year's finals were due in February of that same finals year. I had to drop out when they wanted the orders placed in October of the previous season. The season had just ended and I was still paying off my summer travels. It worked out much better when the money was due in February; I could use my tax return or job bonus, whatever, I just had more time to save up for it. They have never sought me out to find out why I didn't renew my membership. It's ridiculous what they are charging now in these times for tickets alone in Lucas Oil, much less to be a Friend of DCI.