What are the best corps to never make finals?

Linsolite

Nite Express

Acadmie Musicale

East Coast Jazz

put in the Bracken Cavaliers 72 VFW champs

We were? :tic:/> :tic:/> :tic:/>

• Like 1

"Best corps" as defined by historically successful, active in the DCI-era, but didn't make Finals?

Blessed Sac.

Mutli-time national champs in the pre-DCI era, a founding member of DCI, but never even went to '72 prelims, and folded the next season.

• Like 1

St Croix Rivermen

original incarnation of the Florida Vanguard

If either of these could have kept staffs/members they had everything to move up the ladder

I'm sorry to have resurrected this old thread in the middle of the season, but considering I only learned of Bob Snow's all-too-tragic death this morning, I've been scouring the web in search of ANY video of that wonderful, albeit disappointing year.

Alas, 'tis not to be. However, I did run across the Knights' website, which contains just about every show available, including '83.

My God, I don't know whose Corn Flakes the Knights tapped their collective spleens in, but that was, without a doubt, one of the most egregious hose jobs in DCI's long history of egregious hose jobs.

TEN contras!!!!!! :worthy:/>/>

PS - If anyone has footage of that show, I would be most appreciative. :thumbup:/>/>

You guys are bringing back all kinds of memories for me! I marched those years, albiet percussion. that year was so hard for us. We were 9th in Whitewater Prelims just ahead of the Freelancers and just behind 27th with a 68.85...Finals came in at 11th dropping to a 61.9 on what we thought was a better show than prelims. Then the next day in Rockford we were at a 59.90. Our next show 5 days later was 70.5 in Hunnington WV. Someday...I'd like some judges or someone to explain that season to me/us. I feel like we are the JFK of DCI. Especially when I see ppl on this board who were instructors in other corps then that were our rivals saying should have been much higher. Anyone that doubts this listen to our 83 show (the ending is crazy loud)...then listen to the corps that beat us from about 8th place down to us and tell me they were better than The Knights. lol. I have talked a few ppl within PM's here that marched when I did, one was with Garfield who was with us most of the shows last year. He said our horn line was louder than theirs and cleaner than lost of other corps that made finals...he couldn't beleive we didn't make it. Alot of Garfield came to watch us warm up and thought we were definelty an up an comer.

This may sound bitter I know, but i'm way over it now, wasn't meant to sound that I wasn't. Still, it would be nice to have an explanation someday. :ph34r:/>/>

To this day, it was still one of the best times of my life, other than my daughter. Today, working for the NWS keeps me very busy and it's hard to stay as involved as I'd like to but I try to go to at least 3 shows a year. Next year I'm doing finals dang it!

Hollywood, I have the MP3's of The Knights from 81 to 83, very good recordiings. My Parents did souvies for a while and I think they may have some video of 82 and 83. I'll have to contact them to see if they still have it. Be glad to share these with anyone that PM's me with an email address.

PS We liked to called just "The Knights" versus Geneseo Knights. :tongue:/>/>

Edited by rainshdw08
  • Like 2

87 Wave (but I'm a little partial) - and we only had about 35 horns. It was incredibly difficult to recruit in S FL at that time.

83 Geneseo Knights was the biggest, let me put this nicely, "mess-up" I've ever sen in DCI. They should have been about 8th or 9th. Crossmen spent all summer dreaming that they could play Russlan and Ludmilla half as well. (Not a put down of Xmen, but Geneseo was that good. Their 12 mellos on the front sideline knocked it out!)

82 Suncoast was a hard pill to swallow too.

Thanks Steve!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:/>/>

Edited by rainshdw08

Best that never made finals would have to be Geneseo.

The "Tough-Luck" Club: 13th place finishers

27th Lancers (1985)

27th Lancers (1986)

Florida Wave* (1987)

Dutch Boy (1988)

Dutch Boy (1989)

I marched 27th in 85/86, the 85 show was on the bubble but there's no way 86 wan't a top 12 show.

One of our guard members went to Dutch Boy after 27h folded. She marched 4 years with a 13th place finish.

:thumbup:/>/> :thumbup:/>/>

Edited by rainshdw08

Who are some of the best corps to never make finals? I'm not looking for a specific year (like Crossmen 79 or something like that) but corps in general that have never made finals. List your corps. I'd like to know! Thanks!

The Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, hands down, far and away, is the " best Corps " (with their multi decades worth of rich history of so many pre DCI National titles won and accomplishments made ), that has never reached DCI finalist qualification. As one the orginal 13 Founding Member Corps of DCI, I believe that they are the only one of the 13 Founder DCI Corps that has failed to place in DCI finals ( regrettably, they folded as a competing DCI Corps after the 1972 season, shortly after DCI was launched .)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1