What are the best corps to never make finals?

The 83 Knights came out of the box pretty hot. Something happened between DCM and Whitewater that year. I don't know if everyone else made better changes, or if Geneseo peaked too early, but I know they started getting passed up by so many corps leading up to an underwhelming prelims performance at DCI. It want even close then.

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=corpsyrscore&corps=182&corpstype=Junior&yearqry=1983

See it here.

That was the most ridiculous score roller-coaster I have ever seen.

If that kind of thing happened nowawdays, I can't imagine we'd ever stop talking about it...

July 30 DCI Midwest Whitewater WI DCI 11 61.900

July 30 DCI Midwest Prelims Whitewater WI DCI 9 68.850

July 31 Rockford IL DCI 6 59.900

August 5 Huntington WV DCI 4 70.500

August 6 Louisville KY DCI 5 70.100

August 7 Evansville IN DCI 4 73.250

August 9 Sevierville TN DCI 5 69.600

August 10 Abingdon VA DCI 4 70.550

August 12 Drums to Dixie Cary NC DCI 5 73.400

August 13 DCI South Atlanta GA DCI 10 70.050

August 13 DCI South Prelims Atlanta GA DCI 10 74.600

August 15 Savannah GA DCI 4 71.600

August 18 DCI World Championships Quarter Finals Miami FL DCI 4 77.100

August 19 DCI World Championships Semi Finals Miami FL DCI 16 73.950

Stupefyingly bizarre, man.

Kiwanis Kavaliers

Les Etoiles

Southwind

Nite Express

Dimension

I doubt I'll ever forgive the idiotic management/design of Capital Regiment that led to their folding. In the mid 00s Ohio was primed for 3 consistent Div 1 drum corps that you'd typically only see out of a big state like California. Bluecoats were the up and coming powerhouse corps that Carolina Crown has since filled the void of, Glassmen were the consistent finals spot holder, and Capital Regiment (much like Academy) was setting up a huge foundation to break into Finals.

If I remember correctly Capital Regiment took a break at a huge peak time in the corps' competitive history simply because the management/staff had huge issues interacting with each other. Such a stupid reason to fold a drum corps.

Ohio drum corps make me sad. Glassmen got Sal Salas'd into huge debt (much like Madison), Capital Regiment got mis-managed and designed, and Bluecoats are pretty much a hybrid Ohio/Texas drum corps now.

1979 Crossmen

• Like 1

up until the 96 win/tie Regiment was pretty much the holder of this title ...

Yeah, Phantom pretty much DID make finals prior to 96...

Prior to '99 I think it had to be BOSCRU... maybe especially '94 which hurt like walking on glass.

I think Avant Garde was a corps that was always just this close. I've been surprised to see Academy not mount a more serious charge thus far.

It's a tough business, cracking the top 12 and many fine corps have given up against the pressure.

I'm glad to see some people listed the Defenders. I almost joined that corps but transportation became an issue. It was said that 27th, BAC, and North Star did not train beginners on horns, something I later learned was not necessarily the case, but Defenders were willing to train anyone, included us forsaken woodwind players, as long as they had some musical training. They could pack a punch and at a time that "How loud can you get?" was rewarded, they could give anyone a run for their money. Greatest non-finalist corps may be a matter of debate, but for those lucky enough to have seen them live, certainly one of the most enjoyable.

Another corps that I enjoyed and did well but never made finals was Offensive Lions.

I did not see Watkins Glen Squires in 1975, but they are always listed as one that should have been a finalist but never made it.

Now I could include Pacific Crest and Academy on the list, but since they are still competing and still aspiring, their greatness may be yet to come.