What are the best corps to never make finals?

1971 VFW Dallas- Stardusters 13th place

Southwind 2000 gets my vote, that or Academy 2007. Both great shows that should have squeaked their way into Finals, I enjoyed both more than the 12th place show

90 BK- made it for first time 91

02 BK- made it back in 04

Southwind '00 maybe? Placed 13th

Capital Regiment was doing so great I thought they'd be a finalist for sure.

Whoever misses finals this year is certainly tragic

90 BK is one of my favorite shows ever. Should have been in really. Freelancers '90 also great and finals worthy.

I doubt I'll ever forgive the idiotic management/design of Capital Regiment that led to their folding. In the mid 00s Ohio was primed for 3 consistent Div 1 drum corps that you'd typically only see out of a big state like California. Bluecoats were the up and coming powerhouse corps that Carolina Crown has since filled the void of, Glassmen were the consistent finals spot holder, and Capital Regiment (much like Academy) was setting up a huge foundation to break into Finals.

If I remember correctly Capital Regiment took a break at a huge peak time in the corps' competitive history simply because the management/staff had huge issues interacting with each other. Such a stupid reason to fold a drum corps.

Ohio drum corps make me sad. Glassmen got Sal Salas'd into huge debt (much like Madison), Capital Regiment got mis-managed and designed, and Bluecoats are pretty much a hybrid Ohio/Texas drum corps now.

Not sure you have all the information about Capital Regiment. Also, Ohio's the 7th most populous state in the country. It should be able to support several corps there.

90 BK is one of my favorite shows ever. Should have been in really. Freelancers '90 also great and finals worthy.

1990 BK sounded so cadets like to me, great corps though. Really loved 1990 Freelancers made a good run of Batman.

I can't promise 100% accuracy, but as best I can figure...

Most Top 17 appearances without a Finals appearance

5 Southwind (1995, 1999-2001, 2005)

4 Capital Regiment (2002, 2004-2006)

3 The Academy (2007, 2009, 2010)

3 Kiwanis Kavaliers (1996-1998)

3 Les Eclipses (1984-1986)

3 Mandarins (2001, 2005, 2006)

3 Pacific Crest (2003, 2007, 2008)

Maybe I missed something in your description, but

- Academy were top 17 in 2011-2012 as well, bringing their number up to five

- Pacific Crest in 2012, bringing their number up to four

Despite Academy tying with Southwind, they haven't had that disheartening finish (being top 12 in all performance captions) like Southwind had in 2000.

Who are some of the best corps to never make finals? I'm not looking for a specific year (like Crossmen 79 or something like that) but corps in general that have never made finals. List your corps. I'd like to know! Thanks!

All of them.

• Like 1