REVIEW--June 20, 2003--Cerritos/Impulse Show

The following is the 2nd half to my previous posting of the Division III/Division II/Senior review of the Cerritos/Impulse show. All the same rules apply as from that post...in order of performance.

PACIFIC CREST

Pacific Crest is fielding a full corps, and while I didn't count numbers in any of the Division I corps as I did with the other divisions, it's pretty evident that PC is marching dang close to 135 on the field. My first impression when they got on the field was that they were huge, and man do they look sharp. I love PC's uniform, and I REALLY love the guard costume. Simply beautiful. The guard had large cube structures made of very shiny metal or maybe coated with something that REALLY caught the stadium lights very nicely. During one part of the show, they spun them around on the ground while the horns were playing exceptionally loud, and it created a nice sparkle/shimmer, and the crowd responded positively. And yes, the cubes were out and used throughout the show, which for some reason, didn't bug me at all. It was thematic somehow, possibly giving the "lightning flashes" as described in the program notes? The only complaint that I would have about these cubes is there was one point where they were stacked on the side 2 side near the 40 or 45 yd line, and the horns massed behind this "wall" and played "through" it. If that's the impression they were hoping to create, good job, but I didn't like it. Sort of distracted me for some reason.

Hornline is powerful, and provides a nice dark sound. They play some pretty cool music, however, what I REALLY liked was some kind of a "swing" section where the horns just park and bark. VERY VERY VERY cool! I loved it. Drum line is solid, solid, solid.

Visually....welllllllll, hmmmmm...dirt is dirt, and they had plenty of it. However, this was the first show of the season, and I attribute lots of what I saw as "first show nerves". I think from a design standpoint, from a conceptual standpoint, and from an overall potential standpoint, I FULLY disagree with everyone that is counting them out of Top 12. If I could use Magic as a point of reference from last year, PC's show THIS year is better than Magic from last year. So, the only thing keeping PC out of the Top 12 this year will be what happened last year. EVERYBODY IS JUST GETTING BETTER! So, PC won't be able to rest. They WILL have to clean. But not from a design or concept point do I think this corps has any problems. I guess we'll see....and besides, I'm a big softee when it comes to PC, and I want them BADLY to make Top 12.

MANDARINS

First off, I've read other "descriptions" of Mandarins as being "tiny", "small", and not very big. Uhhhhh...wrong. They're not 135 members, but they're not "tiny". I remember Mandarins when they were TINY! Folks, this group is NOT tiny. Marching about 50 some odd horns, and a full guard and drumline, Mandarins are DEFINITELY Division I. I just wanted to dispel any ideas that perhaps Mandarins don't belong up a level. They do!

The whole corps has been well known in recent years for having very different uniforms from the rest of the crowd (definitely not a Cesario clone!). I love their outfits, but the guard this year. WHOA! All in different unique costuming but all similar in color. The DM's stood out with very interesting costumes, especially the female drum major up front.

Mandarins horn line played VERY controlled (bordering on timid I thought at first), but unleashed some very well-controlled but LOUD hits throughout the show. They play very very well, with a very talented mellophone soloist in "Polovstian Dances". Drum line seemed pretty solid, and it was nice to hear "Bacchanale" back on the field. Their pit section even busted out some sleighbell type instruments similar to Phantom's back in 1991, although Mandarins are smaller and simpler looking.

Drill was well done, especially in the percussion interlude where the corps was doing some very well executed line segment rotations. They did them in such a way that my eyes were drawn to them and "down the line" to the next rotation. It was cool. My opinion...Mandarins probably won't get Top 12, but they have the opportunity too if they can clean it up and really perform and bring some more depth to what they're doing. It would be JUST LIKE THE OLD DAYS, however, to have 4 California corps back in the Top 12, hanh? b**bs Hopefully...someday!!

BLUE KNIGHTS

What a cool beginning to their show, as the corps sang to back up the rest of the horns playing. It was really subtle, but I heard it and it was "mixed" well in my ears in the pressbox. I think maybe it will get swallowed up in a large stadium, so hopefully they'll turn their heads and face the audience to project better. But Blue Knights did a great job overall. Their music was unidentifiable stuff, however, their closer, "Prologue", was written especially for them by their pit arranger Mike Nevin. NO offense to Mr. Nevin intended, but it to my ears fun to listen to but lacking a real melody and direction. Lots of transitionary loud hits and chord progressions.

Drum line is solid, and the guard was great. BK is well known for their horns doing lots of choreography and body moves, and their was an abundance of it in this show, but not as much as I've seen BK do in previous years. There was some form issues throughout the show (flat curves, missed assignments, etc). Typical first night stuff. And the guard at one point in the show busted out one of the MOST beautiful blue silks I've ever seen on the field. It really was quite nice.

Blue Knights in Top 12? Same argument for their closest competitors tonight (PC and Mandarins) applies to BK. Do they have enough to be as good as the rest of the 10-12 groups vying for the bottom 6 positions? They have work to do, and they're aware of it I'm sure.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

I just have to talk about the opening 45-60 seconds of the show. I admit freely that their drill designer, Myron Rosander, is BY FAR the MOST talented drill designer in the activity. PERIOD! Michael Gaines is great. Zingali was great. Jack Chambers, Marc Sylvester, Jay Murphy, Dave Weinberg...all these designers. Great. But Myron is the greatest. PERIOD. His design and thought process behind what he does for some reason just talks to me more than anyone else. Reminds me of Steve Brubaker drill in some ways, and Brubaker was also one of the greatest. But let me try to describe the opening of SCV's show...

The horns and drums are in 2 lines of equal instrumentation on each goal line, opposite ends of the field. So in essence, we're talking about 2 small corps to start the show. The guard is spread across the field taking all 100 yards. Very cool opening set. Simple. Created an immediate "buzz"..."What are they going to do?" They did this cool "building and building" as the 2 corps marched very cool drill and moved slowly but surely (although they were marching 190 beats a minute!!!) towards the 50. The guard was weaving and dancing, the horns were doing antiphonal "question/answer" type music, very stereophonic. And the music was building and building and building, the guard was getting more and more frenetic with their movement and work, boom, boom, boom, louder and louder, more intricate drill, me thinking how the heck are the contras going to get together and form one section because they're on opposite ends of the drill....boom, boom, boom, louder louder louder, and then! RESOLUTION!!! The corps ends this whole development in a tight block and you could have hit me upside the head with a shovel! It was the same impact I got from the horns. HOLY COW!!! Then, they did the rest of the opener, and ended up BACK IN THAT BLOCK!! Dude...visually, it was genius. As was the rest of the show. But I simply love the fact that the drill revisits what they had done, and makes it a thematic statement. MAN!!!

The rest of the show I really keyed in on visual elements, specifically the drill, so I'm a little light on any real interesting comments. One thing that DID standout was in MY eyes, this show could win. But man was it dirty! DIRT!!! Eeeek...and SCV has their work cut out for them for sure. But it's an awesome show....very much reminded me of the 1999 and 2001 production, both shows that I deem to be some of my favorites ever. GREAT JOB SCV!!! The crowd LOVED them.

BLUE DEVILS

I didn't write any notes on BD's show at all. Couldn't. I was overwhelmed. From the very sassy opening with percussionists doing little solos and duets with extreme attitude, all the way to the ending, I was simply floored. This show was performed with MUCH attitude, MUCH energy, and was frighteningly clean for this time of year. Their 74.9 score was LOW in my estimation. I'm scared they may peak too early. That was one thing I remembered thinking. But what a show.

I first "got into corps" when I was in high school in 1982 when I bought my first DCI recording and went to some southern California shows. "Blue Rondo A La Turk" was done in 1982 by both 27th and Spirit of Atlanta if I remember correctly. BD's version....holy bananas. It simply rocked the world. Their closer was a very unique combination of "Cool" and "Take 5". It was so cool...

The guard was again on another plane of existence, and while some may appreciate the minimalist "black" of their costume, I did NOT. I wish they could have worn SOMETHING...but hey. I'm just the announcer. And they DID kick my butt with their performance. I guess they could have worn paper bags and I would have still enjoyed them.

FINAL THOUGHTS...

--Up on RAMD, someone complained I was "too loud" as the announcer. I'm serious when I say I couldn't hear myself in the pressbox once the show started, and I apologize to anyone else that felt the same way. I made my way through the crowd after the show and shook MANY hands, and no one mentioned anything to me, and trust me, I'm NOT above someone saying "Thanks Turner for killing my ears!!" I never heard that, but sorry if I was too loud.

--Cerritos College...GREAT SITE!!! Great to be back for a second year in a row, and great that Impulse is hosting this show and it's becoming such a hit. Crowd was huge, better than last year, and was VERY receptive and enthusiastic. I'm a firm believer (and will prod audiences at band or corps shows if they need it) that audience participation makes drum corps much more fun all the way around...for the audience AND MOST OF ALL for those hard working kids. So, if you go to show this season, DON'T SIT ON YOUR HANDS!! Regardless of the proliferation of "concert band" music being performed on the field, it's NOT A CONCERT! It's a field show...whoop it up! b**bs

--Many band kids from various band programs in attendance, proudly wearing their band jackets. Several band directors in the audience. It's great to see the support of the activity by the local band community. It hasn't always been a great relationship in southern California, so I'm glad to see folks coming out.

--In my previous review of the Division II and III, I referred to Ma and Pa Smith from the VK organization, sort of the "corps mom and dad". They hadn't been to a corps show in 10 years, and it was great to see them. I also got word up in the box that the Elder Brothers, Dean and Dave, both who helped propel VK into the Top 12 in 1984, were in the audience, and it was BOTH of their first time to a show in 12 years. Unfortunately, I couldn't get to them to say hi. If it's an indication of what's going on, I predict two things...

1. More people are going to come "back" to the activity and see a few shows. It's worth it now, as this show had 11 corps in it's line up. It was worth the 15 bucks to get in. And...

2. So Cal Dream will most likely reap the benefits of more people "coming out of the woodwork". They in essence tripled in size from last year. People were in the audience that haven't been to a show in a long time. I'm just putting two and two together. I think there may be a lot of phone calls over this summer and next fall that will go something like

"Hey dude. So, about the Dream?"

"Yeah...what about it?"

"I'll march if you march."

"OK dude, let's go."

It was a fun night, great crowd, and very successful for the Impulse Organization, as it enjoys a very positive relationship with Cerritos College, and brings great recognition to the campus with shows of this caliber.

Hope you all enjoyed the reviews...another coming for the Western Connection II, where Phantom Regiment will make it's first southern California appearance since 1981!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!

thanks for two great reviews Ryan!!

George...it's the very least I could do for such an incredible website. I love DCP, and I've told you that in the past!

Good bye RAMD!! :)

Thanks again George for the compliment...

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

snip

But I simply love the fact that the drill revisits what they had done, and makes it a thematic statement. MAN!!!

snip

But it's an awesome show....very much reminded me of the 1999 and 2001 production, both shows that I deem to be some of my favorites ever. GREAT JOB SCV!!! The crowd LOVED them.

Thanks for the great review! I am totally psyched to see SCV this year. They and PR are my two favorite corps and PR has definitely lived up to their billing this year. And judging from your remarks, I have no reason to believe SCV will let me down either!

One other note, even though you did not mention their 2000 show, the recurring drill/thematic statement is what totally made that show for me. I loved the music regardless, but the way the opener ended in the same set as it started except with guard and corps reversed and then the way they ended the show in the mirror image of the opening set, I thought, "Man, whoever wrote this is a friggin' genius!". Glad to see someone with similar tastes to my own!

Just want to add my thanks for the two great reviews. About as good as it gets without actually being there. Hopefully more folks will be inspired to contribute reviews as thorough and thoughtful as yours.

Also glad you set the record straight on Mandarins' size. 50 horns? With Mandarins' trademark technique and control? Whoa, mama...

poo.....

I tried to edit the quote, and ended up losing my whole post...

Edited by Maedhros