Drum Corps World ceases printing . . .

Well, I'm guessing with all the potential people who will be reading this on their computer/mobile whatchamacallits, advertising should be much better. Unless they are in the Cavaliers, I'm going to assume most DCI members will be reading it on their phones which is a big increase in readership.

I wonder if someday back issues will be archived?

I can't believe this day finally happened : /

The Fox News of DCI is going completely digital! Now current members can continue to not have any idea what DCW is, and continue living their lives looking at other things on their phones on the bus.

Sorry to say it, but I think the current generation will be spending a little more time on the facepage and mybook then reading DCW articles...

• Like 1

I applaud Steve for going this route. yes it's the end of an era, but not the end of a great drum corps tradition...being able to read DCW. I'm signed up, and I can not wait to read and hopefully add to the content. Steve thank you so much for your many years of service, and love of drum corps. As a DCW staff member, I support and applaud you fully.

• Like 1

I can't believe this day finally happened : /

The Fox News of DCI is going completely digital! Now current members can continue to not have any idea what DCW is, and continue living their lives looking at other things on their phones on the bus.

Sorry to say it, but I think the current generation will be spending a little more time on the facepage and mybook then reading DCW articles...

You might be right. The thing that made DCW cool for me when I marched in the mid/late 90's was reading show reviews and descriptions. We obviously loved to read about our corps, but were interested to read about corps we hadn't seen yet. Now with DCP, texting, Facebook, member & alumni forums, etc there are PLENTY of ways to instantly catch up with the activity.

But, that could explain why members/fans wouldn't pay money for a print version of old news? Essentially, why by a paper in early August describing shows that took place in mid-July, when you've 'moved on' as a consumer?

Perhaps now DCW will be more up-to-date publishing online, at least when covering big events like the Regionals. If DCW's online model will be that of most modern online 'news'-type sites, then they'll offer valuable information that is current (i.e. a Regional show ends at 10pm, the story is up no later than the next morning). If that's the case, then I don't see why current members wouldn't read it on their smartphones, iPads, laptops, or whatever other devices they travel with. More people might be likely to read it since it'll be free.

HOWEVER...

If they keep their current model, and put out a monthly informational-type epublication that summarizes events that are weeks old, then you're probably right. I doubt members will read it: why would they when they are so many other viable options at their fingertips? For that matter, why will most people?

We'll see what happens when DCW comes out in their epub form: either way, I'm looking forward to reading it and at least giving it a chance

• Like 1

Not totally for free. Those of us who just spent hard cash for subscription renewals got blind-sided by this and Steve replied to me stating that we would be getting a small refund, since he hoped we wouldn't mind only getting back $26 out of the $81 first class subscription price, the difference between first and second class rate subscriptions. So it isn't FREE.The hard copy subscribers are the ones subsidizing this event.

Ray

Ok: in that case thanks hard copy subscribers for aiding DCW in their transition to a MUCH more viable business model and helping to ensure that the publication lives on

• Like 1

Considering how many corps members (and fans, for that matter) have smart phones with data plans, this might mean MORE bus reading than ever before.

I get that, and you may be right. I think you marched around the same time I did (mid/late 90's), and if your corps was similar to mine there were many nights over the summer when someone picked up the latest DCW, and over the corps of a few days the paper makes its way up and down the aisles, from one bus to another. It's a goofy sentimental thing, I know, and maybe that doesn't go on any more. Just one of those silly memories: the kind that most 'normal' people wouldn't get, but one that is definitely a part of my experience.

• Like 1

I'm a reviewer for DCW. It's not always easy to get a reivew in by the next morning...same as with reviews here for DCP. But I'm pretty sure on say a Saturday show, Monday Am at the latest. We have lives ya know

I'm a reviewer for DCW. It's not always easy to get a reivew in by the next morning...same as with reviews here for DCP. But I'm pretty sure on say a Saturday show, Monday Am at the latest. We have lives ya know

Ah c'mon... I thought youse reviewer guyz got paid so well for your efforts that you can take the Summer off just to do corps stuff.

You know.... just like DCA Office Staff. :devil::tongue:

</inside joke>

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Really bums me out. I have pretty much every copy of DCW I ever go, started it when Drum Corps News ended. And I have a TON of those

old ones also.

Maybe I belong on Hoarders Buried Alive, but I really enjoy reading the magazine and seeing the full color pictures.

Oh well.