Drum Corps World ceases printing . . .

Dang!!!! Thanks for letting us know as I haven't had a DC subscription since Drum Corps News ceased years back.

Just a memory lane time reading Steves write up (never knew Jim Jones was involved) and remembering the Trivia Game that I bought and sold to a fellow DCP'er.

Good luck Steve and DCW.... and welcome to the 21st Century :tongue:

Wow, this is a sad day for me. I know this is something that is necessary, and getting the emailed version will be great, but still, not getting that mag every month in the mail is going to be odd. I have been getting it since 1986, and looked forward to it so much that I watched for the mail truck sometimes when I first started getting it in college. I have loved Drum Corps World, and wish Steve the best in this new endeavor. DCW has been the driving force behind my interest and love of Drum Corps, so thanks Steve for all those great issues (which I still have in my basement on the shelf) :)

leed17

I've been lucky to have been a Drum Corps World staff writer for 27 years, and Steve told me a few months back about this big change.

In an age when many print publications have ceased, it's nice to see one staying alive at least in some form as an electronic entity.

I plan to stick around with DCW as long as it exists.

I've been a subscriber since 1972 and whenever DCW came in the mail I'd immediately sit down and read it..... I've been waiting for this to happen for years, but it's still sad. One of my first issues had a Jane Boulen pic of the SCV snare line with Paul Siebert clearly doing his "roll lean to the left" that he swore he didn't do.... and the whole line screamed when they saw it. Good memories! I'm glad, though, you're going to be able to transition and keep it going, Steve. Thanks for all you've done through the years and best wishes for your new vision!

Finally had a chance to fully read the article and forgot about the "History of Drum Corps" and historic CDs and DVDs coming from DCW. Now I feel better for not having a subscription. :tongue:

Seriously I'm glad that the projects outside of the print news (Cds/DVDs/books) will continue and bravo for Steve for "thinking outside the box" for this. :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

. . .end of an era, IMO.

More here:

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?id=853

Be sure to sign up for the new electronic version! :smile:

Definitely good news/bad news.

The bad news is kind of obvious (no hard copies of DCW means no members can read it on the bus over the summer).

The good news, however, is HUGE: DCW will live on electronically FOR FREE!

From their website (link posted above):

Drum Corps World will begin issuing monthly magazine-format publications on the Internet, the first one of which will be sent on Monday, May 2. We will no longer be charging for a subscription! The savings from not printing and mailing copies will allow the continuation of DCW

VERY cool that there will probably more reader of DCW now that it's free (and convenient).

I think this is exciting news, and hopefully DCW will pick up a lot of new readers: more hits to their website/digital subscribers will mean more advertising revenue.

The bad news is kind of obvious (no hard copies of DCW means no members can read it on the bus over the summer).

I don't think I ever saw a DCW on tour during my 2 years.

I agree that this will be good and hopefully get more people to read (aka, more clicks = more ad revenue)

• Like 1

Pause? now what shall I read while sitting in the stands and between corps maybe Steve will look at some sort of abv version for the tour season and at shows for the Corpsasaurus types