Mission Drums, Why Call It That?

Back in the day, many contests had certain names for obvious reasons. The Dream speaks for itself. In the 60's, the Preview of Champions showcased an early season lineup of major competitors. Sometimes location entered into the mix. Drums Along the “Location”, a river or mountain range, etc. The Grand Prix was Hawthorne’s contribution of major contenders.

Mission Drums was always a major contest with top names. It was an honor to perform there. Certainly one of the early season showdowns for the cream of the crop. Can anyone offer information/history on why it was called Mission Drums?

Offering a story or two on any experience you might have had there wouldn’t hurt either.

Back in the day, many contests had certain names for obvious reasons. The Dream speaks for itself. In the 60's, the Preview of Champions showcased an early season lineup of major competitors. Sometimes location entered into the mix. Drums Along the “Location”, a river or mountain range, etc. The Grand Prix was Hawthorne’s contribution of major contenders.

Mission Drums was always a major contest with top names. It was an honor to perform there. Certainly one of the early season showdowns for the cream of the crop. Can anyone offer information/history on why it was called Mission Drums?

Offering a story or two on any experience you might have had there wouldn’t hurt either.

If memory serves, the contest was sponsored by the CYO of the Boston area. I think some of the proceeds went to Catholic Missions over seas. I remember performing there back in the 60s at Boston College in Newton, Mass, just outside Boston proper. It was a very popular, well attended show back in the day.

If memory serves, the contest was sponsored by the CYO of the Boston area. I think some of the proceeds went to Catholic Missions over seas. I remember performing there back in the 60s at Boston College in Newton, Mass, just outside Boston proper. It was a very popular, well attended show back in the day.

mike your right . it was sponcered by cyo and the money they made went to their missions. i was always impressed with that. that was a huge show BITD.

mike your right . it was sponcered by cyo and the money they made went to their missions. i was always impressed with that. that was a huge show BITD.

Actually guys, it wasn't sponsored by the Boston Archdiocese CYO, but rather was co-sponsored by the Society for the Propagation of the Faith and the Missionary Society of St. James the Apostle. All the proceeds were to be used for the furtherance of Boston Archdiocese missionary activities around the world.

I'm sitting here looking at the program book for the Third Annual Mission Drums, held on Saturday, June 25, 1960 at Boston College. Each year the winning corps was awarded the Fr. Jim Hennessey Trophy. Fr. Hennessey was a Boston Ardiocese priest who went to serve in the North Solomon Islands in 1935. He was taken prisoner by the Japanese in March of 1942 and was killed in June of that same year.

The lineup for the 1960 show was Lt. Norman Prince, Connecticut Hurricanes, Hawthorne, Reilly, Skyliners, Geneva Appleknockers, Connecticut Yankees, and Archer-Epler.

The person who originally had this program penciled in their estimated placements. Prince first, Hawthorne second, Skyliners third, Archer-Epler fourth, Reilly fifth, Hurricanes sixth, Connecticut Yankees seventh, and Appleknockers eighth. He or she was remakably prescient; those were the finishes, except for the last two.

The scores were Prince - 84.55, Hawthorne - 84.28, Skyliners - 81.48, Archer-Epler - 81.47, Reilly - 80.77, Hurricanes - 76.23, Appleknockers - 75.68, and Yankees - 72.68.

Interestingly, all the parishes in the Boston area were "encouraged" to place ads in the progam book. Woe unto the parish that didn't.

And last... The program book cost a quarter!

Actually guys, it wasn't sponsored by the Boston Archdiocese CYO, but rather was co-sponsored by the Society for the Propagation of the Faith and the Missionary Society of St. James the Apostle. All the proceeds were to be used for the furtherance of Boston Archdiocese missionary activities around the world.

I'm sitting here looking at the program book for the Third Annual Mission Drums, held on Saturday, June 25, 1960 at Boston College. Each year the winning corps was awarded the Fr. Jim Hennessey Trophy. Fr. Hennessey was a Boston Ardiocese priest who went to serve in the North Solomon Islands in 1935. He was taken prisoner by the Japanese in March of 1942 and was killed in June of that same year.

The lineup for the 1960 show was Lt. Norman Prince, Connecticut Hurricanes, Hawthorne, Reilly, Skyliners, Geneva Appleknockers, Connecticut Yankees, and Archer-Epler.

The person who originally had this program penciled in their estimated placements. Prince first, Hawthorne second, Skyliners third, Archer-Epler fourth, Reilly fifth, Hurricanes sixth, Connecticut Yankees seventh, and Appleknockers eighth. He or she was remakably prescient; those were the finishes, except for the last two.

The scores were Prince - 84.55, Hawthorne - 84.28, Skyliners - 81.48, Archer-Epler - 81.47, Reilly - 80.77, Hurricanes - 76.23, Appleknockers - 75.68, and Yankees - 72.68.

Interestingly, all the parishes in the Boston area were "encouraged" to place ads in the progam book. Woe unto the parish that didn't.

Of course Andy is correct... and at least through 1967, there were always numerous members of the Kennedy Clan there - often handing out trophies.

Thanks for that bit of history Andy. Very interesting. Especially the strength of the Princemen during that time. They were quite a powerhouse back in those days. We must also never forget how strong Reilly and Archer-Epler were. Very competitive and entertaining times.

Okay, Thanks for the clarification Andy. I knew the Boston Archdiocese had something to do with it, just thought it was the CYO. When and where was the CYO Nationals held?

Okay, Thanks for the clarification Andy. I knew the Boston Archdiocese had something to do with it, just thought it was the CYO. When and where was the CYO Nationals held?

Michael,

The first CYO Nationals was in 1964 and was held at Boston College's Alumni Stadium. After the 1968 show it moved to Cawley Stadium in Lowell for two years, then back to Boston College for most of the rest of it's time - through 1982. During that period there was one more show at Cawley Stadium (1971) and one at Harvard Stadium (1977).

The interesting thing about the CYO Nationals was the method used to incorporate a couple of Boston-area corps into the mix. The CYO Circuit awarded points for placements in circuit shows. The two circuit corps with the most cumulative points during the period leading up to the CYO Nationals got the invitations. Some years that method wasn't so bad, when you had St. Mary's Cardinals, St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, and I.C. Reveries in the CYO Circuit. But in those years when those corps chose to go into the Eastern Mass. Circuit rather than the CYO, there were some less than optimal corps from the Boston area who were invited.

Unfortunately, especially in the show's later years, the CYO corps were usually seen at or near the bottom.

See you Saturday....

Andy

Thanks for that bit of history Andy. Very interesting. Especially the strength of the Princemen during that time. They were quite a powerhouse back in those days. We must also never forget how strong Reilly and Archer-Epler were. Very competitive and entertaining times.

Prince was approaching the end of its run by 1960 and '61. They had disappeared from my lists of contests and scores by 1962.

You must remember one thing, however. Prince had a history of winning Mission Drums (when they may or may not have deserved it), just as they had a history of coming in last or next to last at the Dream (when they may or may not have deserved it). Such was the way of the world...

• Like 1

Prince was approaching the end of its run by 1960 and '61. They had disappeared from my lists of contests and scores by 1962.

You must remember one thing, however. Prince had a history of winning Mission Drums (when they may or may not have deserved it), just as they had a history of coming in last or next to last at the Dream (when they may or may not have deserved it). Such was the way of the world...

great history andy. i just learned a lot from you my man. :thumbup: all these yaers i had it wrong about the cyo. keep the great learning from the past coming so it dosen't die.