Mission Drums, Why Call It That?

Of course Andy is correct... and at least through 1967, there were always numerous members of the Kennedy Clan there - often handing out trophies.

I believe the show was renamed as the Bunker Hill Invitational in 72 ... pretty sure the 71 show was a Jr./Sr. combo show ... I remember Boston marching off the field as Sky was marching on and all the fans saw was a continuous line of red uniforms that looked like one HUGE corps ...

:-)

I believe the show was renamed as the Bunker Hill Invitational in 72 ... pretty sure the 71 show was a Jr./Sr. combo show ... I remember Boston marching off the field as Sky was marching on and all the fans saw was a continuous line of red uniforms that looked like one HUGE corps ...

:-)

Andy,

I believe the show you're referring to was the 1970 edition of Mission Drums. For reasons unknown to me, both the Brigadiers and the Buccaneers pulled out of the show, so two local juniors were brought in as short-notice replacements - Boston Crusaders and 27th Lancers.

If my information is correct, Hurricanes won with a 74.65. Sky was second with a 72.75. Sunrisers third with a 71.65. Hawthorne was fourth with a 66.70 and Rochester Crusaders were fifth with a 64.85. Someone mentioned in another thread about the "Daze of Low Scores." Dese were dem!!

A few weeks later, Hawthorne got a 73.80 at Baltimore, and then a couple of weeks after that they got an 83.30 at the Dream. Can you imagine the number of butts kicked and heads banged by Mr. Costello during those weeks?

Andy

Andy,

I believe the show you're referring to was the 1970 edition of Mission Drums. For reasons unknown to me, both the Brigadiers and the Buccaneers pulled out of the show, so two local juniors were brought in as short-notice replacements - Boston Crusaders and 27th Lancers.

If my information is correct, Hurricanes won with a 74.65. Sky was second with a 72.75. Sunrisers third with a 71.65. Hawthorne was fourth with a 66.70 and Rochester Crusaders were fifth with a 64.85. Someone mentioned in another thread about the "Daze of Low Scores." Dese were dem!!

A few weeks later, Hawthorne got a 73.80 at Baltimore, and then a couple of weeks after that they got an 83.30 at the Dream. Can you imagine the number of butts kicked and heads banged by Mr. Costello during those weeks?

Andy

andy the bucs and brigs pulled out because the show was rained out on saturday. in fact it was called off before we left rochester. dca has it listed in th june 27th but it was really on june 28th.

Andy,

Andy

Brigs probably would have pulled out Saturday or Sunday... we were in shock all that week from the 35.6 score in the show the week before... We thought we had pulled it together fairly well and were supposed to be in Erie PA 2 weeks later... I went on vacation and when I finished my vacation and arrived in Erie I was told the corps folded... I've always wondered if history would have been radically changed had I not gone on vacation and just maybe could have prevented the fold... but we'll never know. That might sound a bit presumptious of me but I was a voting member of the board and YES have a pretty big mouth. I do know that the 70 brigs are the only corps I can think of that were DESTROYED by the judges and the judges only... I have no idea what was going through their minds but a polite "you're not ready" score with us in last place as we deserved would have sufficed.... the 35 was the biggest slap in the face any perrenial finalist in DCA ever took... We were actually a fairly good corps that simply wasn't ready. we never recovered from that - despite giving it a good try in '71.

andy the bucs and brigs pulled out because the show was rained out on saturday. in fact it was called off before we left rochester. dca has it listed in th june 27th but it was really on june 28th.

Many thanks for the info, Don. I had no idea why those two corps had pulled out. What's so interesting now is the ability of the Mission Drums staff to pull in Boston and 27th on such unbelievably short notice, i.e., overnight.

It may well be that they each had circuit shows (Eastern Mass.) Saturday night and/or Sunday afternoon, so they were available for a Sunday night contest relatively nearby.

Brigs probably would have pulled out Saturday or Sunday... we were in shock all that week from the 35.6 score in the show the week before... We thought we had pulled it together fairly well and were supposed to be in Erie PA 2 weeks later... I went on vacation and when I finished my vacation and arrived in Erie I was told the corps folded... I've always wondered if history would have been radically changed had I not gone on vacation and just maybe could have prevented the fold... but we'll never know. That might sound a bit presumptious of me but I was a voting member of the board and YES have a pretty big mouth. I do know that the 70 brigs are the only corps I can think of that were DESTROYED by the judges and the judges only... I have no idea what was going through their minds but a polite "you're not ready" score with us in last place as we deserved would have sufficed.... the 35 was the biggest slap in the face any perrenial finalist in DCA ever took... We were actually a fairly good corps that simply wasn't ready. we never recovered from that - despite giving it a good try in '71.

yeah that was a tough show for brigs. even though they were our rivals i felt very bad for them. i remember you guy's could barely finish that show that night. it was a proud corps . and i have to say i loved the uni's.

Many thanks for the info, Don. I had no idea why those two corps had pulled out. What's so interesting now is the ability of the Mission Drums staff to pull in Boston and 27th on such unbelievably short notice, i.e., overnight.

It may well be that they each had circuit shows (Eastern Mass.) Saturday night and/or Sunday afternoon, so they were available for a Sunday night contest relatively nearby.

yeah it was amazing. i flew into boston that morning.....i almost always flew to show's i couldn't drive to. i always caught flack for that. i hated bus rides. it's to bad i didn't get to see boston or 27th. that would have been cake. :smile:

Actually, Andy it was held Sunday afternoon after the rainout, not Sunday night. I clearly recall the day, bright sun, clear blue sky. Typical 'day after the storm' kind of day, but the other storm from Shelton took care of that! Hurcs were very good that year, coming off their DCA championship in '69.

We got off to a rough start in 1970, with a smaller corps, all -new music, and new music instructors who took over in mid-season of 1969. It took another storm, a deluge at the Barnum Festival, to jump-start our season for real. I'll tell you more about that and the whole season when I see you next time, if you're interested. And yeah, Jimmy Cos did push us hard that year!

Edited by cabalumnidrummer

yeah it was amazing. i flew into boston that morning.....i almost always flew to show's i couldn't drive to. i always caught flack for that. i hated bus rides. it's to bad i didn't get to see boston or 27th. that would have been cake. :smile:

My brothers and I marched with Two-Seven at that show. George B called us the night before and told us to drive to the stadium ready to perform instead of driving to Revere for all-day Sunday practice. Problem was that my uniform was dirty and shoes not spit-shined following the Shriners International the previous weekend in Toronto. ( Finished 2nd to the Kilties, with a score of 76.870 BTW). After the Mission Drums show, we drove to Revere and still practiced!!

BTW, 27th was not participating in the EMass circuit any longer in 1970 per se, but still competed in several local shows.

Edited by Navillus WP

My brothers and I marched with Two-Seven at that show. George B called us the night before and told us to drive to the stadium ready to perform instead of driving to Revere for all-day Sunday practice.

So the two juniors were exhibition? I thought I saw somewhere they were judged at that show.

If so, I'd like to see the scores compared to the senior corps.