Drum Corps Parade on Finals Day

My understanding is that corps such as Garfield (or whatever they call themselves this year), will likely not be marching the parade. They are too good....

It was a joke...

If you don't make finals, your season is over after you do inventory.. but now you have to do a parade? I'm really interested to see how this season turns out (including the G8 and all other new additions). DCI seems to be attempting to become more fan-friendly (which isn't necessarily member-friendly).

News flash for you my friend, without the fans, the activity doesn't exist. DCI should be doing EVERYTHING it can to be more about the fans, and if that means a drum corps has to march a parade (God forbid) then so be it. SO many fan friendly things have been set aside with very little reasoning IMO. Full retreats with all the brass playing together, drumlines playing cadences of the field and trooping the stands (props to Pio), etc...

• Like 2

I don't remember there ever being a parade on finals day. (please tell me if that happened, where and when) They used to have parades on the Wednesday before quarterfinals and many corps participated. I remember seeing them in Kansas City, Madison and Orlando (Disney-Epcot) but I can't remember one on Saturday of finals. I do not think this is a great plan. If it were on Wednesday then maybe it might get a few people to purchase tickets for Thursday (when you can get a ticket for $20) or Friday (when they are a little more), but I can't imagine anyone purchasing tickets for Saturday (cheapest are $42.50 I believe) after seeing a parade. Can you really see a family of 4 watching the parade and then saying "hey let's go buy $170 worth of tickets to sit in the end zone and watch these bands?" If you have ever spent $170 on a whim after seeing some promotion advertising another activity that evening, that you had no previous knowledge of, as a marketing professional, I want to know what it was.

All corps have their rituals of what they do on finals day - for corps not in finals as well as those that are. Corps breakfasts, age out ceremonies, of course check in and clean up etc., a parade is not going to be easy to do for these corps. Not to mention the DCI staff/volunteers who are already overworked all week - now they have to work a parade? Also from what I understand the corps are not being paid for this parade, so more expense for them. They have to bus in one more time (a lot of corps are an hour or more away) as I would guess they will want to return to their housing after so they can shower and do check in and clean up before attending finals, or hitting the road for home.

In my opinion this is just not very well thought out. I feel really bad for the kids in the corps that have to do this. They do not want the last time they wear their uniform and perform together to be a parade.... They want to leave it all on the field... but then maybe no one really cares about the non-finalists.

Your logic is jacked. Will everyone who sees the parade rush out and by tickets for finals? No, but the bottom line is that it is probable that some people who would otherwise not have attended finals, will. This is good for DCI, and what's good for DCI is good for the corps .

Is this not a fan friendlier idea?

Yes it MOST certainly is. However why should the finals corps be exempt? They are the ones who are raking in the proceeds. Get out there and parade for the locals and the fans! And all this concern about the parade affecting the night show finalists is just plain silly. Since when can't a talented group of teens and twenty-somethings not walk for a mile or two and play four or five tunes? Get over yourselves!
  • Like 1

Yes it MOST certainly is. However why should the finals corps be exempt? They are the ones who are raking in the proceeds. Get out there and parade for the locals and the fans! And all this concern about the parade affecting the night show finalists is just plain silly. Since when can't a talented group of teens and twenty-somethings not walk for a mile or two and play four or five tunes? Get over yourselves!

It's about routine. Show days have a specific progression that happens that ends up with you on the field performing, and it's the same every time (for the most part). Changing that routine the day of the most important show of the year is a bad idea.

A parade was also my first introduction to drumcorps.

It was always THE PARADES where Drum and Bugle Corps used to shine over the bands. Drum and Bugle Corps were precision marching, in straight lines, with proper distance between files, with uniformity of movement, every marcher in step, elbow to elbow when playing, correct posture, left arm at belt buckle when marching, or with instrument positioned at the chin, and so forth. When the Drum and Bugle Corps stepped off, it did so precisely. When the parade slowed, and the Corps went to " PARADE" rest, The Corps snapped to the position, and when the command came to attention, the corps likewise snapped to attention.

People along the parade route noticed INSTANTLY that this musical unit was " different " than the high school bands, and all the other bands in the parade. Even the color guard and the street beat that the parade spectators first saw and then heard of the Drum and Bugle Corps told them that this musical unit in the parade was.... " different " than the bands.

There is another thread on here that asks us if " Drum Corps is dying ". Drum Corps will not die provided the day never comes when Corps and marchers decide that they will no longer do parades. Conversely, the day this activity decides it no longer will do parades, but instead will confine themselves to paid admission only to football stadiums and auditoriums is the day the diming of the lights on this activity commences, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

It's about routine. Show days have a specific progression that happens that ends up with you on the field performing, and it's the same every time (for the most part). Changing that routine the day of the most important show of the year is a bad idea.

and herein lies the problem. Marching a parade is no longer a part of the routine and it should be. The "most important show of the year" will cease to exist if there are no spectators to buy tickets.