The Cavaliers 2011 Show

Less themes, more marching and playing.

The top 8 corps are the top 8 because they do the best of making their theme come alive/more interesting.

If you only like marching and playing, watch your semi finals dvd.

The primary difference between marching top 8 and bottom 8 (for me, having marched both) was that while I was in the bottom corps, I did a LOT of marching and playing, whereas in the top corps, I had SO MUCH more to do for most the moves.

• Like 1

Yes...it seems they're celebrating man-ness...so the center production number will feature the entire corps, accompanied by their pianist, in a rousing rendition of that great hit from 'Monty Python's The Meaning of Life: Isn't it wonderful to have a #####"

Everyone...sing-a-long now!

tongue.gif

The top 8 corps are the top 8 because they do the best of making their theme come alive/more interesting.

If you only like marching and playing, watch your semi finals dvd.

The primary difference between marching top 8 and bottom 8 (for me, having marched both) was that while I was in the bottom corps, I did a LOT of marching and playing, whereas in the top corps, I had SO MUCH more to do for most the moves.

what? is there a caption for "best theme" now?

what world is this where drum corps is anything OTHER than marching and playing? dressing up the basics with self-aggrandizing themes is silly, when it comes down to who marches and plays best, no?

what world is this where drum corps is anything OTHER than marching and playing? dressing up the basics with self-aggrandizing themes is silly, when it comes down to who marches and plays best, no?

Everyone is good at playing and marching.

And then people get bored

So now it is who can play and march the best while communicating things to entertain an audience.

Just like the reasons orchestras are going bankrupt is that people are bored with the classical music. Now, the amount of people who study music is lower because people can no longer listen to music without visual. (movies, music videos, drum corps!)

Drum corps is a modulation from the old entertainment of classical playing mixed with military styles.

Let it modulate to fit the wants of the new generations so it can be great.

Entertain me, Cavaliers. :)

• Like 1

It’s actually best poster / graphic /T-shirt caption, theme is only a part of it, there is a thread on it from last year around here

Even though the score is given before the first show, it determines the second week of the season's placement movements after the initial last years’ placement slotting of the first week ends

B -

Sorry to drag the thread OT for a bit, but in defense of Fight Club, that sequence was the 3rd drum break in the song. The only reason I'm focused on this is I recently <finally!> learned the sheet music.

The first drum break was very much a modern DCI break - flam-drags, stick crosses and off-speed (five-let) passages, followed by a tenor break that emphasized scrape and crossover movement.

The second drum break is after the brass come back in with their screamy little passage, and is a pure old school drum break - triplets with backsticking, drum to drum and snare crossovers. The twist they throw in are the 16th note rolls, which snap it back to a "square" beat from a triplet one, back and forth.

Then of course, the Fight Club sequence, which is really the Everything and the Kitchen Sink, as far as the drum writing was concerned.

I know that's a lot more in-depth than we were talking, but I wanted to make the point that as far as the arranging goes, there was method to the madness, and while it was indeed more a vehicle to get the crowd up and jumping than displaying technical chops, they had already established that in the music at that point.

Sorry for the aside - back to the regular topic now. :shutup:

I can't wait to see their '11 show... :thumbup:

Mike

As a non percussionist who has always tried to tell people who thought 2002 Cavaliers had an "easy drum break" exactly what you're saying but never said it right or really knew how to explain it....thank you. Best. explanation. ever. XtraordinarY, even.

The visual concept of the image is quite clever. Alums know what it is.

I didn't march cavies but I think I see what you are talking about.