Which company makes the best horns for each section?

Stradbrother

What are Kanstuls usually compared to? Just so I can get an idea. I would die to try one of those horns... But they are so expensive...

WRONG!! =)

Kanstul has held their marching brass / bugle prices firm since 2009. Not only that, the MAP ("minimum advertised price") is extremely competitive with Yamaha and King - It's my job to keep it that way!

What Kanstul horns do - play in tune with themselves and others. Project better. The offer better response, balance, intonation, construction, and value.

What Kanstul (the company) doesn't do - sponsor corps, give away instruments, compromise quality.

Kanstul horns are still built in the USA, in Anaheim California.

All the best,

• Like 3

WRONG!! =)

Kanstul has held their marching brass / bugle prices firm since 2009. Not only that, the MAP ("minimum advertised price") is extremely competitive with Yamaha and King - It's my job to keep it that way!

What Kanstul horns do - play in tune with themselves and others. Project better. The offer better response, balance, intonation, construction, and value.

What Kanstul (the company) doesn't do - sponsor corps, give away instruments, compromise quality.

Kanstul horns are still built in the USA, in Anaheim California.

All the best,

Agreed!

Gotta give Kanstul the win on this one. The new SB Kings are great too, gave the new contra a spin at the Conn-Selmer plant a couple weeks ago and it plays and feels great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm marching on a Kanstul Contra. It's amazing! Mine has no corps' name on it, so I have no idea who owned it before, but I just needed to give it some TLC. Projects very well. With the new SB Tuba mouthpiece it makes it even better.

I've also played on a Kanstul Euphonium (before they fixed the problem) It played sharp, so they were almost useless. But from what I've heard through friends at Kanstul, That problem is long gone.

Kanstul Baritones: The way to go

King K90 Contra: Loudest 2V Shoulder Subwoofer ever made.

Overall, I'm a fan of Kanstul for G bugles, and King's SB line of Bb/F horns.

• Like 1

I agree with contra94, the King 2v K90 was the best contra I have ever played. It's sound is remarkable and it is very confortable to pick up and carry. I also love the balance the horn has resting on my shoulder. The Kanstul is very uncomfortable to pick up and does not feel balanced on my shoulder. It feels to me that the horn sits to far back before I reach my mouth piece. It looks great and sounds good by I prefer the K90 when all is considered....

I've always felt the opposite. The King is too far forward, the S-neck design results in it sitting out farther than it ought to and therefore is very front-heavy, while the Kanstul is exactly where it should be for good balance.

I've always loved the Dynasty contras...I have a 2V chrome one that is perfect for those long Mardi Gras parades, and a 4V for shows. I played on the first set of 3V contras when I was in Bluecoats - the balance of the horns was so perfect we would typically just balance them on our shoulders, no hands, when we were at brief pauses. The horn plays great, and it seems purpose built for marching: there's a substantial reinforcement plate where it sits on your shoulder, a bump-out on the tubing that doubles as a carrying handle, the bell is parallel to the tubing, vs. the Kanstul that is angled up, and of course the balance is perfect...I've actually played long stretches of certain tunes with no hands on the horn (boring parts that are all open fingerings).

The K-90 is a classic, and I loved playing on it, but the weight is a bit too far forward for my tastes. Maybe it was the particular horn that I used, but I was never a big fan of the Kanstul contra...seemed a bit stuffy and the balance was off, and I didn't like how the bell made it seem like a perpetual horn-pop.

Best is relative. For Euphoniums, not that I've experienced the newer Jupiter horns yet... (or the new Kings)

Deg - cheapest (used anyway)

Kanstul - loudest and most rugged

King - best sounding IMO (most Euph like)

Yamaha - lightest

Deg and King form factors can be a little awkward to carry. Kanstul and Yamaha are about equal, the valve action on the Yamaha is a little wimpy IMO. For a Euph anyway. But I haven't really played much Euph in the past five years and there's a few new models out that I haven't tried yet.

DCI 2007 was the last time that I had many of these horns in hand. 2006 was the last time that I marched Euphonium competitively. (TFN DCA). And I spent most of 2007 playing Contra. Most of 2008 playing Trumpet. And the odd gig on Mellophone between then and now. Yea Mardi Gras...

I'm marching on a Kanstul Contra. It's amazing! Mine has no corps' name on it, so I have no idea who owned it before, but I just needed to give it some TLC. Projects very well. With the new SB Tuba mouthpiece it makes it even better.

I've also played on a Kanstul Euphonium (before they fixed the problem) It played sharp, so they were almost useless. But from what I've heard through friends at Kanstul, That problem is long gone.

Kanstul Baritones: The way to go

King K90 Contra: Loudest 2V Shoulder Subwoofer ever made.

Overall, I'm a fan of Kanstul for G bugles, and King's SB line of Bb/F horns.

I agree Kanstul Contras are fantastic.

• Like 1