So from what i can tell..

going by what ive heard/seen from reliable sources, its going to be a blood bath between Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets. Mostly between cavaliers and BD. I know its too early to tell, but i have a hunch the cavaliers will bring the fire and give BD a run for their money. I also dont see devils dropping out of the top two. Not that im a devils fan, i just dont see a corps thats been consistent will lose momentum now. Any thoughts?

• Like 5

going by what ive heard/seen from reliable sources, its going to be a blood bath between Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets. Mostly between cavaliers and BD. I know its too early to tell, but i have a hunch the cavaliers will bring the fire and give BD a run for their money. I also dont see devils dropping out of the top two. Not that im a devils fan, i just dont see a corps thats been consistent will lose momentum now. Any thoughts?

I think there's going to be a blood bath from more than just them. And there's going to be surprises. 4th place corps in atlanta may place 1st at finals (phantom '08, right? Not sure)

I'm loving the uncertainty of this close season so far.

1... Who will win? Last 3 years BD have been pre-season favourites. Although 2008 went a bit pear shaped for them.

2... Will any corps not in the G8 finish higher than 8th? A few folk hoping BC, Scouts or anyone tbh break into the top 8.

3... Will the 2010 top 12 be the 2011 top 12?

4... How many WC corps will be taken by OC corps in prelims?

All good imo!

Let's just award the medals now, and the corps members can have the summer off and all the corps will save the expense of tour...apparently, these "reliable sources" have seen ALL WC corps perform complete shows, with their entire corps, and can speak for the judging community as well. I guess Crown, Bloo and the other contenders should prepare themselves now for their pre-determined finishing positions.

</sarcasm off>

• Like 8

Well ya, it is kind of obvious that it's a good bet that at least 2 out of 3 of these Corps ( BD, Cavs, Cadets )will be in the top 3 this year battling it out for the top spot. Afterall, it's been 17 years ( 1993 ) since we've had a DCI Finals in which at least 2 out of these 3 Corps WERN'T in the top 3 when all is said and done. In the post Star of Indiana years, we havn't a single year in which at least 2 out of these 3 Corps didn't finish in the top 3. Any marcher in a DCI Corps this year doesn't recall in their lifetime a time when at least 2 of these 3 Corps did not finish in the top 3. This doesn't mean that in the post Star era that we won't have an outlier year in which some other Corps challenges for the title outside these 3.. and wins. One year it was done ( Phantom Regiment, '08.. by less than a tenth of a point, in a huge upset over BD ). It's just that anyone that starts out a season predicting these 3 Corps probably will be fighting it out for the title in the end, is simply being a Master of The Obvious, it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

^ This. It's absolutely ridiculous that people are counting crown and bloo out this early in the season.

I'd agree with this. It's a good bet that one of the 3 Corps of BD, Cavs, Cadets will win another DCI Championship. But it's not a sure thing. Some other Corps besides one of these 3 Corps could pull off a huge upset again as Phantom did in '08. But it's a real longshot to be sure. It's almost impossible for a challenger outside of these 3 Corps to beat ALL 3 Corps of BD, Cavs, Cadets in a given year. But not totally impossible, as Phantom demonstrated in '08. I just wouldn't bet the farm on it, thats all.

Edited by BRASSO

I'd agree with this. It's a good bet that one of the 3 Corps of BD, Cavs, Cadets will win another DCI Championship. But it's not a sure thing. Some other Corps besides one of these 3 Corps could pull off a huge upset again as Phantom did in '08. But it's a real longshot to be sure. It's almost impossible for a challenger outside of these 3 Corps to beat ALL 3 Corps of BD, Cavs, Cadets in a given year. But not totally impossible, as Phantom demonstrated in '08. I just wouldn't bet the farm on it, thats all.

What phantom did was prove that show design can take you LONG way. By no means IMO were they cleaner or sounded better than BD or cavaliers. Their show design is what carried them to the top. The reason i don't throw crown in the mix is because they aren't as consistent as these three. Whose to say that bluecoats will pick up where they left off? A friend on staff said he didn't think the group is nearly as talented as they were last year (kind of a rude thing to say about a corps you're teaching at) and crown, with that show, just isnt going to get them where they want to be.

• Like 4

What phantom did was prove that show design can take you LONG way. By no means IMO were they cleaner or sounded better than BD or cavaliers. Their show design is what carried them to the top. The reason i don't throw crown in the mix is because they aren't as consistent as these three. Whose to say that bluecoats will pick up where they left off? A friend on staff said he didn't think the group is nearly as talented as they were last year (kind of a rude thing to say about a corps you're teaching at) and crown, with that show, just isnt going to get them where they want to be.

You lost me on the last sentence that " with that show, it's just not going to get them where they want to go ". All we know on a " show " right now is a) its name and 2) what music is being played. How are these 2 things by themselves determinative of really anything at all beyond these 2 things ?