So from what i can tell..

You lost me on the last sentence that " with that show, it's just not going to get them where they want to go ". All we know on a " show " right now is a) its name and 2) what music is being played. How are these 2 things by themselves determinative of really anything at all beyond these 2 things ?

Sorry my hangover was catching up to me. But i've heard midi files, and im not entirely impressed. I know music gets changed around alot during the summer, but even before the season in 09 (when i heard their midi files) i could tell it would be good. This year not so sure.

• Like 2

I dont think its rude at all for anyone, wether it be a coach of a college basketball team or drum corps staff member, to say that their organization is not as talented/experienced as a previous year. It happens all the time! It could be ageouts,possible returning members not returning, sports trades, players retiring,etc... If I remember correctly I believe that BLOOOO had quite a bit of ageouts last year. Maybe their staff member was simply referring to the talent level OR experience of the new members. Again, this happens in every organization, I believe last year the Cadets had alot of new talent and corps staff tend to realize this as well when planning the season.

going by what ive heard/seen from reliable sources, its going to be a blood bath between Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets. Mostly between cavaliers and BD. I know its too early to tell, but i have a hunch the cavaliers will bring the fire and give BD a run for their money. I also dont see devils dropping out of the top two. Not that im a devils fan, i just dont see a corps thats been consistent will lose momentum now. Any thoughts?

So, am i safe to say that these two corps are the corps to beat?

Blue Devils and Cavaliers seem to be the top two corps as far as consistancy in the activity.

Even though they may not necessarily have the best shows all the time, but they have a much bigger talent pool than most other corps.

What are your thoughts on that?

Somehow I don't think your opinion has anything to do with midi files or shows.

That's ok -- but at least be honest about it.

• Like 1

Somehow I don't think your opinion has anything to do with midi files or shows.

That's ok -- but at least be honest about it.

Those are the only corps (besides cadets) ive heard good things about. I'm not gonna lie i am rooting for cavaliers and bd to be on top> The reason for my confidence is b/c of what i've heard from members of the other two teams (crown and bloo)

• Like 2

Sorry my hangover was catching up to me. But i've heard midi files, and im not entirely impressed. I know music gets changed around alot during the summer, but even before the season in 09 (when i heard their midi files) i could tell it would be good. This year not so sure.

I'm not sure that when fans heard that Phantom Regiment was doing " Spartacus " in preseason 2008, that many of them were going " wow, sounds like a new and creative concept that should propel them to a DCI title ". But it did. The fact is, what a Corps selects as it's theme and it's music is not determinative of anything at all as near as I can tell. It's all in the presentation and in the execution. Additionally, so that we don't overstate things, it's typically the Visual and the Guard that is more important than the music selected. Lets not lose sight of the fact that the Cavaliers played the song " Smile " last year. A simple melody. Can't get more simpler than this song, imo..... and did quite well with it. Thats because of it's Presentation, Visual, and Guard... and their execution. This is what principally carried the Cavaliers to runnerup placement last season. Not principally their selection of music in preseason. A corps can play the simple melody song " Smile " in its show music repertoire and finish 1st or 2nd. Likewise, a Corps can play some composers music that only a small number of people have ever heard of and finish at or near the bottom with it. And for the very reasons just cited.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Those are the only corps (besides cadets) ive heard good things about. I'm not gonna lie i am rooting for cavaliers and bd to be on top> The reason for my confidence is b/c of what i've heard from members of the other two teams (crown and bloo)

Assuming this is true (and putting aside the questions about why current MMs would be bad mouthing their own corps pre-season) the opinions of your "sources" carry no weight with anyone but you. No reason anyone else would give them any value.

Second: just marching a corps doesn't mean someone knows anything at all about what makes a given design good or bad.

Finally: no one (not even the design teams) knows how a show will actually "perform" until it's out on the field in front of judges and fans.

So...your opinion is just a guess ... same as everyone else :-)

the opinions of your "sources" carry no weight with anyone but you. No reason anyone else would give them any value.

Exactly. It works both ways too. We've all here probably read on DCP in the past that so and so said some Corps brass line or... fill in the blank section, theme, or music, etc.... was the cats meow and was going to blow eveybody away. But then it never reaches anywhere near the level of hype once the season unfolds. So most of us have learned to shrug off the hype or the negative talk as mostly idle chatter. Anyone that places " value " on what an anonymous poster on a website posts in preseason,.. both good or bad about a Corps... gets exactly what they deserve, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Assuming this is true (and putting aside the questions about why current MMs would be bad mouthing their own corps pre-season) the opinions of your "sources" carry no weight with anyone but you. No reason anyone else would give them any value.

Second: just marching a corps doesn't mean someone knows anything at all about what makes a given design good or bad.

Finally: no one (not even the design teams) knows how a show will actually "perform" until it's out on the field in front of judges and fans.

As i said earlier, it was from a staff member

• Like 2

This is a really, really great thread.

• Like 1