Fan Network Question

<in best cranky old man voice> In my day, we didn't have any of this new-fangled internet gobbledy-goo. We went to shows or we didn't see them at all. If it wasn't local to your house you either traveled or did without. We didn't have real-time scores and recaps, we read a newspaper that told you what happened two or three weeks ago, or called a pay-service phone number to hear a recording of the scores, and we liked it. There were no fancy message boards or chat rooms. If you wanted to talk to people about drum corps you went to the lot before the show and tailgated. <end of cranky old man voice>.

Seriously, you're complaining that this past weekend's shows aren't up yet? DCI's IT/logistical staff has just spent the whole weekend jumping through hoops to make sure the live theater event was streamed and ready to go. Let's cut them a little slack, eh?

• Like 2

TFN is really starting to bug me. Took them ages to work out getting the 2010 WC videos available, and now we're halfway into the 21st, and no Saginaw performances yet....ARG!

You understand that "The 21st" means "The 21st" right? Not "halfway through the 21st".

• Like 2

I'm only complaining that there are times when TFN doesn't seem to follow through on their promised services. It's not like I haven't paid them $80 for it or anything. This is only one of many issues I've had with the service. I'm just a frustrated customer, nothing wrong with that. If this service were free or more affordable, I wouldn't care nearly as much.

Perhaps they're understaffed. If so, I feel quite bad for them, but it doesn't change the fact that many of us have experienced issues before. We're entitled to wanting what we've paid for.

Edited by bmt2116

<in best cranky old man voice> In my day, we didn't have any of this new-fangled internet gobbledy-goo. We went to shows or we didn't see them at all. If it wasn't local to your house you either traveled or did without. We didn't have real-time scores and recaps, we read a newspaper that told you what happened two or three weeks ago, or called a pay-service phone number to hear a recording of the scores, and we liked it. There were no fancy message boards or chat rooms. If you wanted to talk to people about drum corps you went to the lot before the show and tailgated. <end of cranky old man voice>.

Seriously, you're complaining that this past weekend's shows aren't up yet? DCI's IT/logistical staff has just spent the whole weekend jumping through hoops to make sure the live theater event was streamed and ready to go. Let's cut them a little slack, eh?

Back in your day you didn't pay the better part of 100 bucks for a sluggish service. bmt2116 is right. it's not like it was new information sprung on them at the last minute. they knew last Saturday's vods were to be made available today. Did they just start working on that this morning? if so, why? Did they not expect that all their customers that paid $80-$180 would be anxious to see the shows for the first time this year? It's bad costumer service. And we have a right to expect better from a high dollar product.

first im very disappointed that there are no audio downloads available yet and no schedule for them i emailed them asking when and why these werent up yet my response: we dont know when we will get to putting those up sorry for any inconvinece. that was it no sorry you paid 80 dollars for this to be up when we told you no dates saginaw isnt up yet its ridiculous so idk if im even going to but it next year this year the service is really bad AND the prices went up for worse service the prices should of went down makes no #### sense to me......

• Like 2

Whenever I try to access Fan Network, I get a message saying that Fan Network doesn't support Internet Explorer 6. The thing is, I'm running IE8 - I even downloaded it again to make sure. I can't access any of the information, including the support page (which doesn't make sense). What am I doing wrong?

first im very disappointed that there are no audio downloads available yet and no schedule for them i emailed them asking when and why these werent up yet my response: we dont know when we will get to putting those up sorry for any inconvinece. that was it no sorry you paid 80 dollars for this to be up when we told you no dates saginaw isnt up yet its ridiculous so idk if im even going to but it next year this year the service is really bad AND the prices went up for worse service the prices should of went down makes no #### sense to me......

dci.thefannetwork.org/schedule

The APD schedule is posted. It was posted when we solidified a schedule, and no sooner -- sometimes scheduling things doesn't take shape immediately for this stuff.

And Saginaw is posted. I don't know what's "ridiculous"; that was the scheduled time for it to go up... I guess you can't please everyone. Josh, if you'd like a full refund, give me a shout directly at mat@dci.org. We know it's an anxious wait... I empathize.

Finally, for prices, let me tell you why it's a little more this year. We are using additional bandwidth this year to bring live-dvr technology. You'll see it at Stanford, and you've already seen it with the preview. The #1 issue customers have over all networks is "I missed X, can I go back and see it?" The answer had been "wait for the VOD" since there was nothing we could do. Now, we can let you go back in time on things. It's really cutting-edge stuff, but we thought that it would be worth it.

Enjoy the season, Josh.

Edited by drumcat
  • Like 3

Whenever I try to access Fan Network, I get a message saying that Fan Network doesn't support Internet Explorer 6. The thing is, I'm running IE8 - I even downloaded it again to make sure. I can't access any of the information, including the support page (which doesn't make sense). What am I doing wrong?

You probably have a plug-in like the Yahoo toolbar or similar that uses a proxy. If you have a proxy, your IP address appears to change, and thus your machine loses its login permissions.

Try another browser like Firefox, and see if you have the same issue. If you have a proxy/firewall or a shifting IP address via a network, that will cause problems too. We see this at schools most often, but it's relatively rare.

If you still can't figure that out, give an email to support@dci.org and they'll help where they can.

• Like 1