Contest Appearance fee?

Scouts posted this story about the Fairfield show to their facebook recently:

http://local.cincinnati.com/share/news/story.aspx?sid=182130

This section caught my eye:

"This is the 26th year Fairfield High School’s marching band has hosted the event and the 12th year it’s been held at the stadium. It has netted nearly $150,000 for the band since the competition moved to the high school stadium in 2000.

That figure comes after expenses, including a $22,500 appearance fee to DCI, said Bruce Brown, contest director."

Does that mean they pay $22,500 per year to host a competition? And how much do they make back for each competition? I'm just curious to know the backstory about hosting a competition.

A whole bunch of wrongness and incorrect information was deleted.

Edited by hostrauser

That's $22,500 for 11-12 seasons of appearance fees. I'm pretty sure the annual show appearance fee is only $1500-$2000.

Oh, no, $22,500 would be for one year, one show. That figure is about average for the DCI fee for a local show. Depending on how many corps you have in your show, and the previous year's rankings for those corps, it could run anywhere from around $15,000 to $25k or more.

The last I heard, the corps appearance fee for one corps was $2250 for all World-Class corps.

That must be paid up-front to DCI long before the show happens... which means regardless of show cancellation due to weather or anything else.

That would mean that if they paid $22,500 to DCI for appearance fees, there are 10 corps at the show. There are 7 at this show, so maybe the number per corps has gone up.

I was at finals last year too, and unfortunately I "did" hear some of those boo's. I thought it was sad because even though I didn't agree with the judges' decision, the kids on the field didn't deserve to hear that.

I've always wondered about this, thanks everyone.

$15k profit for a band would be an excellent boost.

It's been about 10 years since I worked with a group to set up a show, but at that time, it worked like this:

A "show" would be a minimum of 5 corps (1 top tier, 1 second tier, and 3 open class). Top tier approx.$2700, second tier approx. $1500, open class approx. $900. I don't remember the DCI marketing fee and judges fees. The total for the smallest show was right around $10K. You have to have a venue that's large enough to cover your expenses which means you need enough big name corps to sell enough tickets to fill the stadium. Most local shows would run $15K-20K to host. The host has to put a percentage down, another payment during the spring (after ticket sales start), and the final payment must be made BEFORE the first corps steps into the stadium. As far as the "weather" issue, the host can purchase event insurance for a few hundred bucks and it is well worth it.