A petition

I can tell you that the Bluecoats are performing a very complex and difficult show. I believe it will take some time to work out the nuances and the artistry needed for this to really generate its full GE potential. By the end of this month I think fans are going to love it. And not all ballads need to be the same. I'm glad they are not trying to copy a formula.

If it didn't work at the first show of the season, it's time to scrap it. That's how it works, right?

If it doesn't work the first night, it'll never work!

Dear Bluecoats,

I want to love you, I really do, but with your ballad it's currently impossible. So here's a petition to bloo to change their ballad. How is it possible to compete with the other groups that have such luscious, beautiful moments. I understand the connections between music and visual during it, and I very much understand what you guys are trying to create there.

The rest of the show has some great moments that can be competitive. Please don't try and fix it, just scrape it.

It will be hard to get passed 6th with that moment.

DangerZone

WOW :huh: just WOW.....pretty bold statement......just curious who you have designed for.......maybe it could give a bit of credibility to the harshness of your "petition"

For those not familiar with their show, the ballad is from the 2nd movement of Michael Dougherty's "Deus Ex Machina". The movement is called "Train of Tears." It is preceded in the show by the 3rd movement "Night Steam."

The music, even though a ballad, is still complex...as is the visual work that has been written. Even though other parts of the show have more in terms of rhythmic, range, and tempo demands I feel this part of the show has the most potential to let the 'Coats show a totally different aspect of a quality corps.

Everyone is certainly welcome to their own opinion, but I was fortunate to see this movement develop from its beginning during their Spring training. (I live nearby) I think it has GREAT potential and I really look forward to seeing it performed at a very high level in August.

This is not a movement, or a show for that matter, than can be fully appreciated in one viewing...especially one viewing in JUNE.

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 1

If it didn't work at the first show of the season, it's time to scrap it. That's how it works, right?

People hated Handel's Messiah when it premiered....sometimes these things work themselves out. The cool thing about art is the artist gets to decid when it;s time to scrap something.

...hey guys, no matter what, the SEASON IS NOT OVER!

I wish I had $1 for every well written, well performed, beautiful show that I have watched over the decades in the first week of competition in June.

Its not about June - its about August and getting just a bit better each show until finals in Indy.

HOW can a show get 'better' if you want to start with 'perfect'?

To me the best shows in June often die in July and suddenly several corps are passing them over in finals.

I HAVE SEEN THAT HAPPEN.

The BIGGEST thing to consider in June (or even earlier) is the ability of the corps members to learn and get better.

THEN, the next biggest thing, is for the corps to produce a program that can be slowly re-written or added to as the members jump to the next skill level.

Don't give me a finished product in JUNE!

I want something that has tons of potential for AUGUST!!!!!

"drum corps is not a race it is a marathon" Not sure who said that first, but it is true.

Slow and steady - dont show all your cards right away.

Save something for that last few tenths in August!